Kiper's mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gsulli5861, Jan 22, 2008.

1. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

The Jet's take Gholston

2. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Can you post the text to the entire draft since it's an insider only thing?

3. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

A few notes from my first first-round projection for April's NFL draft:

• The Miami Dolphins need help on defense and Bill Parcells is a defensive-minded coach, so DT Glenn Dorsey would be the logical pick. And while the Dolphins could listen to trade offers for the top pick, there has not been a lot of movement in the top 10 in recent drafts. Why did Adrian Peterson slip to No. 7 last year? Because teams weren't willing to trade up knowing they would have to part with draft picks and pay more money for the higher pick. Also for Miami, QB Matt Ryan has to be in the discussion because the Dolphins may not be sold on John Beck (a second-round pick last year). Miami needs quarterback help and Ryan is going to be a top-five pick. Ryan might be too good to pass up, and he's a better prospect than Beck was when he came out of BYU last year. (Ryan is the only QB I am projecting will go in the first round).

• St. Louis will likely go with Long -- either Chris or Jake. Although the Rams drafted defensive tackle Adam Carriker last year, I could see them taking Virginia defensive end Chris Long. He's similar to Dorsey in that he plays with tremendous intensity and makes everyone around him better. If the Rams don't go with Chris Long, then Michigan left tackle Jake Long should be the pick since they could use help on the offensive line.

• The Atlanta Falcons should be in a good spot to upgrade at either running back or quarterback, so Darren McFadden or Matt Ryan could be the choice. I like Ryan here because this is a franchise that is in desperate need of a quarterback after going from Michael Vick to Joey Harrington to Byron Leftwich before finishing the season with Chris Redman.

• If Atlanta doesn't take McFadden, then Oakland will. (Remember, Oakland and Atlanta have a coin toss to determine who picks third overall.) After drafting first overall in 2007, Oakland could be looking at getting the best player in the draft if McFadden is available.

Also, there are only 31 selections in the first round this year because the New England Patriots had to forfeit their pick after illegally videotaping signals during their Week 1 game against the New York Jets.

The draft projections below are not based on ratings, but on information I have gathered and where I think teams will go based on needs. The first-round projections will be updated Jan. 31 following evaluations from the Senior Bowl.

* denotes underclassman; ** denotes teams that will decide draft order by coin flip.

Kiper's First-Round Projection
    Name Team Player Position
    1 Miami Dolphins Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
    2 St. Louis Rams Chris Long, DE Virginia
    3 Atlanta Falcons** Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
    4 Oakland Raiders** *Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
    5 Kansas City Chiefs** Jake Long, OT Michigan
    6 New York Jets *Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio St.
    7 New England Patriots (from SF) *Aqib Talib, CB Kansas
    8 Baltimore Ravens Sedrick Ellis, DT USC
    9 Cincinnati Bengals *Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
    10 New Orleans Saints Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
    11 Buffalo Bills *Malcolm Kelly, WR Oklahoma
    12 Denver Broncos *Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.
    13 Carolina Panthers Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
    14 Chicago Bears Sam Baker, OT USC
    15 Detroit Lions Leodis McKelvin, CB Troy
    16 Arizona Cardinals *Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon
    17 Minnesota Vikings *DeSean Jackson, WR California
    18 Houston Texans Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida
    19 Philadelphia Eagles Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt
    20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers *Felix Jones, RB Arkansas
    21 Washington Redskins *Calais Campbell, DE Miami
    22 Dallas Cowboys (from CLE) *Mario Manningham, WR Michigan
    23 Pittsburgh Steelers *Chilo Rachal, OG USC
    24 Tennessee Titans Limas Sweed, WR Texas
    25 Seattle Seahawks Fred Davis, TE USC
    26 Jacksonville Jaguars *Derrick Harvey, DE Florida
    27 San Diego Chargers *Reggie Smith, CB Oklahoma
    28 Dallas Cowboys *Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois
    29 San Francisco 49ers (from IND) *James Hardy, WR Indiana
    30 Green Bay Packers Keith Rivers, LB USC
    31 New York Giants Dan Connor, LB Penn St.
    32 New England Patriots Forfeited pick

Click here to send a question to Mel Kiper for possible use on ESPNEWS.

10 comments on "Will Dolphins deal first pick in 2008 NFL draft?"
    Also See
    Mel Kiper Jr.'s Web page
    More College Football Headlines
    Kelly, Dayton football coach for 27 years, retires
    Fulmer punishes all Vols after freshman charged
    Ex-Titans assistant Chow joins UCLA coaching staff
    OK State's Pettigrew accused of elbowing officer
    Ainge, Auburn's Bennett added to Senior Bowl

Inside College Football

New coach Bo Pelini understands how much Nebraska's identity is wrapped up in football. And that's why he has received a warm welcome in Lincoln. Elizabeth Merrill

Will Muschamp almost traded his D-coordinator title for one of head coach. Instead, the fast-rising coach traded an Auburn address for one in Austin. Mark Schlabach

David Cutcliffe's first stint as a head coach ended unceremoniously. He's embracing his second chance at Duke. Chris Low

After a less-than-scintillating bowl season, it would be easy to overlook the 2007 season. And that would be an unprecedented mistake. Ivan Maisel

LSU may have won the BCS National Championship, but did the Tigers finish No. 1 in ESPN.com's poll? Power 16

In a season of can't miss games, cutting the list of the most memorable matchups to 10 was a nearly impossible task. Heather Dinich
    ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | News Archive | Site Map | ESPN Shop | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information
    Copyright ?2008 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

4. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Why would the Bucs take Felix Jones??

5. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

it just seems too high for golston, hes a great physical specimen but can he make the switch to LB in the NFL

6. JetsLookingforDWare

He plays the DE/OLB position at Ohio State.

7. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

profootballtalk.com is reporting that rumors are swirling that cadillac jones' career could be over after he ruptured his mcl against the panthers. essentially, they could be in the market for a running back...

and thanks for posting kiper's mock.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I see one of two things happening here , the Phins trade down for picks or they take a QB , despite Trent Greens assurance. My gut instinct is they trade down , and dependant on who they trade with , this could really upset the apple cart.
    I'm holding out for C Long or Dorsey.

9. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

My initial comment is I'm tired of seeing so many different orders.

Then I noticed Phillip Merling? and wondered why Baltimore would need another DT... and watched the run on OT...

10. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

where the hell is Phillips in this, boy thats a slide, weird mock IMO

11. TheDooner64

TheDooner64 Member

I'm happy with Gholston, but I think we'll get someone we really need in the first round no matter what. Lets just hope we find another 2nd round gem this year.

12. WahooJet

WahooJet Member

"Ryan is the only QB I am projecting will go in the first round."

That's ridiculous. With such a high pick, a team like Atlanta might easily go with another position, despite a crushing need for a QB, but why would a team like Chicago picking 14th not go for Brohm or Woodson?

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Chacago has a team that could win now. A rookie QB is not going to have that kind of impact for at least a year or two. Perhaps they like someone better at that spot and don't want ot reach on a QB they may not feel is worth a first rounder. QB's, quality ones at that, can be had in the second round.

Also, highly touted QB's are often the ones that take the fall come draft day. Quinn and Aaron Rodgers come to mind quickly. Perhaps we could see one or more of this year's QB crop plummet.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Almost everyone of these mocks have the jets taking Gholston at six. I Guess he's the guy but then again things always can change...Chris Long is nice if he last that long but i think Gholston's da guy.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I have been saying all along that we were lucky to beat the Chiefs...

Vernon Gholston is my favorite player coming out of this years draft. I think he could be a tremendous force for us coming off the edge and dropping back into coverage. If there is one thing you cannot have enough of on your team...it would have to be good passrushers IMHO.

I think things are looking VERY good for our defense if we get this beast.

16. MontrealJet

MontrealJet New Member

The left side of my brain is thrilled we beat Herman Edwards yet the right side of my brain says we could have landed Jake Long with a loss... Damn headaches!!

:pats_suck:

17. DraftaFullBack

You don't take Right Tackles with top 10 picks, it's like taking a guard with a top 10 pick, it doesn't provide value at all, especially in this draft class which will have plenty of solid tackles in later rounds.

18. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

becasue he is a bad ass runner...great talent

19. DraftaFullBack

I posted that because they have Earnest Graham, who should have made the pro bowl this year and Cadillac Williams who was rookie of the year, but I posted that before I found out that Williams' career might be over, so the pick makes a lot more sense.

20. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

it really isn't if he's a real talent, Orlando Pace, Jonathon Ogden, Walter Jones even Joe Thomas last year, those guys make a huge difference in the offense. Pace's injury took the rams from a playoff contender to a bottom 5 team.