My 1st Mock --- Talk to me

Discussion in 'Draft' started by wewantsapp, Jan 15, 2008.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

My 1st Mock (Draft + Offseason) --- Talk to me

Do Not Re-Sign/Cut

QB Marques Tuiasasopo
    FB Stacy Tutt
    WR Justin McCareins
    TE Joe Kowalewski
    OG Adrien Clarke
    LB Cody Spencer
    LB Matt Chatham
    LB Brad Kassel
    CB David Barrett -- his 2008 salary is a whopping $3.6 million
    FS Erik Coleman

Keeping Andre Dyson because his 2008 salary is $1.225 million

Free Agent Signings
    No big names here because I don’t think they’ll be available;

Albert Haynesworth -- Franchised
    Karlos Dansby -- Franchised
    Terrell Suggs -- Franchised
    Jared Allen -- Either Franchised or going to be signed long term by KC
    Assante Samuel - WAY TOO MUCH MONEY
    Alan Faneca - WAY TOO MUCH MONEY & WANTS TO GO TO ARIZONA
    ANYWAY

OG Jacob Bell ---- 6’4” 295 Will be 27 in March, 2008. Considered one of the better young interior linemen in the league. Has started 31 of the last 32 games for the Titans. Watched him handle his own very well vs. the very good San Diego DE Castillo & Olshansky.

OT Stacy Andrews --- 6’7” 342. Will be 27 in June, 2008. Has been a target on JETS radar since interviewed last year when he was a RFA. Now an UFA. Am very skeptical that Cincy will watch him leave. Groomed to take Willie Anderson’s spot.

NT Isaac Sopoaga --- 6-2, 325. Will be 27 when the 2008 season starts. Rotates at NT in San Francisco w/Aubrayo Franklin.. A cheap option to rotate w/Sione Pouha. The other option is Ethan Kelley from the Cleveland Browns, but he has gotten hurt.

OLB Clark Haggans -- 6’4” 243. ---- Turned 31yrs old this month January. Lot of experience in the 3-4. He still had 4 sacks on the season even though the Steelers played Woodley & Timmons more later in the season. Has some Steeler meanness to him. We need a little veteran blood on the D.

Trades

Jonathan Vilma to the Atlanta Falcons for their 2nd round draft pick (#48)
    Atlanta fills the MLB position w/a 26yr old w/much more speed & high character player in the wake of the Michael Vick issue.

Shaun Ellis to the Washington Redskins for their 3rd round pick ( #84). Dangle him in front of Dan Snyder as the 4-3 DE he is. A lock for 16 full games. Even if we have to eat part of Ellis’s salary --- I say we do it. He just does not fit the bill of a 3-4 DE. Never has been, never will be.

Draft

1. Chris Long DE University of Virginia - 6’4” 284. I’m finally sold on the strength, speed & motor of this kid. Getting creative here --- will be putting Long at OLB in the JETS D. More size to the front 7 - a la Shawn Merriman. I think he is fast & agile enough to drop back in coverage & definitely fast enough to rush the QB. Seems to be the most NFL ready of any prospect out there. I cannot see how we could possibly go wrong w/this pick. Not only is he playing OLB, but also in a rotation at DE every now & then.

2. Dre Moore DT University of Maryland --- 6’4” 298. Needs to put on 10lbs. Our defensive line was consistent in only 1 thing - getting pushed around. Moore is one of the best pure 3-4 DE in this draft, and will be an instant starter for us. A rotation for Moore, Robertson, Coleman and Ellis is pretty good, and gives us many options for different schemes.

2. Devin Thomas WR Michigan St. -- 6‘2“ 218 - 79 catches for 1260 yards 8TDs this past fall - reminds me of what Steve Smith has shown the Giants the last few games. Would be a full time starter next to Cotchery for the 2009 season.

3. Beau Bell ILB UNLV - 6’3” 245lbs Can play both inside and outside. Hobson is a free agent & will want money he is not entitled to. Eric Barton is $3 million/yr but has a single year left on his contract & is “good enough” for the present. We need to get someone young and paired w/David Harris starting next year & for a long time.

3. Charles Godfrey CB Iowa -- 6’1” 208. Runs a sick 4.35 in the 40 -- w/this size! Reminds me of Marcus Coleman. But then again he could shoot up the draft boards after the combine. Ranked in the upper level for interceptions in the Big Ten.

4. Jamie Silva SS Boston College --- 5’11” 208. Not sure why this kid never gets the respect he deserves. Reminds me of a lesser version of Troy Polamalu. Flies around the field w/reckless abandon. A walk-on to the Eagles & then turns in a 1st team All American spot his senior year. Big time hitter. 40 time not great (4.56 compared to 4.40 of Kenny Phillips) but plays with that Polamalu “game speed”.

5. Jason Shirley NT Fresno St. - I just cant get away from the fact that 6’5” 330 once ran a 40 under 5 seconds. At this point in the draft, it is worth taking.

6. Leon Hart G Auburn - 6’4” 301 - versatile player - can play almost any position on the line including center. Has 1 of the faster 40 times of the guards eligible for the draft.

7. Jed Collins FB Washington State -- 6’2” 255lbs. 4.81 in the 40. In 2007, he caught 52 passes. Can play fullback or H-back.

7. (Trade of Bollinger to Minn.) Marcus Harrison DT Arkansas - 6’3” 310. 4.98 in the 40. He missed the 2007 season w/a knee injury but with a 40 time under 5 seconds, it is always worth considering.

2008 Final Depth Chart:

QB: Kellen Clemens - Chad Pennington - Brad Smith
    RB: Thomas Jones - Leon Washington
    WR: Laveranues Coles - Devin Thomas - Chansi Stuckey
    WR: Jerricho Cotchery - Brad Smith - Wallace Wright
    FB: Jed Collins -- Sean Ryan (H-back)
    TE: Chris Baker - Sean Ryan - James Dearth
    LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Jacob Bender
    LG: Jacob Bell - Will Montgomery
    C: Nick Mangold - Wade Smith
    RG: Brandon Moore - Leon Hart
    RT: Stacy Andrews - Jacob Bender

LE: Dre Moore - Kenyon Coleman --- Marcus Harrison
    NT: Sione Pouha -- Isaac Sopoaga --- Jason Shirley
    RE: Dewayne Robertson - C.J. Mosley - Mike DeVito
    OLB: Bryan Thomas -- Clark Haggans
    ILB: Eric Barton - Beau Bell
    ILB: David Harris - Beau Bell
    OLB: Chris Long - David Bowens ************(I love that front 7 - no more getting pushed around)
    CB: Darrelle Revis - Hank Poteat - Drew Coleman
    CB: Charles Godfrey - Andre Dyson - Justin Miller
    FS: Jamie Silva -Abram Elam
    SS: Kerry Rhodes - Eric Smith

K: Mike Nugent
    P: Ben Graham
    KR: Justin Miller - Leon Washington
    PR: Justin Miller - Leon Washington

#1 wewantsapp, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Not horrible, but it seems you put to much stock into 40 times for potential draftees.

3. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

It looks really good. A few things though:

1. Haggans is just too old. He is good as far as experience, but as far as actual performance, he doesn't have much left in him really.

2. I really don't think Chris long is an OLB in the 3-4. He runs a 4.7 40, AT BEST, and that just isnt fast enough. That is why I think Gholston should be the pick. But I don't mind Long, and if he must be the pick there, I would switch around the other picks a little bit, and draft Crable in the 2nd, and no Moore. Because there would be no need to draft 2 DEs with out first 2 picks.

3. Poteat would most likely start over Godfrey, as Poteat is a solid veteran and Godfrey is not very polished. And Elam would also almost definitely start over Silva, to start the season at least, as Silva is just a 4th rounder (he actually is even more projected as a 6th or so, so you drafted him a bit early), and Elam was pretty good for us this year.

4. Minor, but why cut Kowalewski and keep Ryan? Kowalewski is younger, faster, and definitely outperformed Ryan this season.

5. (EDITED THIS ONE IN) I forgot. There is no way we get a 3rd for Ellis. He is old, hasn't been good for a few years, and has a big salary. There is no way we can get rid of him, he is ours. Unless we just cut him (which is unlikely due to a big cap hit), it is just not happening.

But overall, it is really good, I am pretty nit-picky in general, but it is realistic and fulfills our needs well, so good job.

#3 jasonjets, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Quack

Quack New Member

Nice. A few personal notes:

-I'm not really a personal fan of picking up Haggans. Yes, Pittsburgh is notorious for shafting their linebackers even when they are still good. I just don't think that he is that good.

-Jason Pociask has fallen off the face of the planet, apparently. We need either him or Kowalewski on the team. James Dearth is not a tight end. He hasn't even lined up at the position since 2001 when he recorded a whopping three receptions for ten yards. True, if we draft a versatile FB he can also line up at TE. The only players I would want to draft for that job, however, are Peyton Hillis and Owen Schmitt. We already have and are most likely getting rid of two pedestrian at best H-Backs. No need to get another.

-I love Beau Bell as an ILB prospect, but if Hobson gets a contract with anyone for more money than Barton is getting right now, then I'm the uncle of a thirty year old who eats glue. Which I'm not. Hobson is younger than Barton, takes on blockers better and is far better in coverage (though he seems to have trouble finding the ball - It has hit him in the pads while in coverage several times this season. One occurrence in the 2nd Patriots game had him not even reaching his hands out to grab it, just him jumping in front of the damn ball. It hit him in the chest protector and dropped to the ground). I will take a retarded-looking knockdown over a blown coverage any day, and years of youth and what I expect to be less money to have is just icing on the cake. He would be better competition for Bell, anyway.

-Silva isn't fast at all. He most likely will get burned at the pro level. He is, however, a natural born football player. You can't teach that, you can't coach that, and you cannot expect a player to develop it. I don't really see him playing with the same reckless abandon that you mention. He often has the over zone and doesn't jump routes that often. He is great at positioning himself and reading plays, however, which leads to his big play ability. I like him.

-I just can't see us drafting a CB that early.. With Revis at right and Poteat at left, we have done extremely well with no pass rush and extremely common single coverage. Both of them are good at supporting the run, too. Justin Miller looked like he was finally developing this year and Drew Coleman has been coming along nicely. If Dyson can recover from his injury and get back to his 2006 form, we have three starting quality corners, plus Justin Miller and Drew Coleman. If he can't, we have two starting quality corners plus two developing players and an injured Dyson, which still is not a problem in any way, shape or form.

-With Ellis' salary and bonus, I would be surprised if we got a third round pick for him. On the other hand, it is the Redskins you are talking about. On the third hand, they should be in cap hell this coming season if I remember correctly.

So basically, I like it on the whole, but I just can't get past drafting Godfrey and our need for a good H-Back ending up with a late-round replacement when there are two uncannily great prospects in this draft. You can take one of the two uncannily great FB prospects (Schmitt and Hillis) with that third rounder and secure the TE/FB/H-Back position as a strength on our team (Baker combined with either of the two would make me ecstatic). That's just me, though.

#4 Quack, Jan 16, 2008
  5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I like the draft alot but would lose both the #3 picks in favour of of Offensive line.
    If Branden Albert were there I would take him and Gosder Cherilus.

6. JohnnyHector

JohnnyHector Member

I love your off season and first two picks. I would also take a QB in the second because Clem is a question mark and chad would be probably gone. Flacco is probably one of the best QB's of the draft.

7. wewantsapp

I must say these damn mocks are much more work than I thought. I will never give UNconstructive criticism to a fellow green brother who does one of these. My wife almost left me last night around the time I was trying to post it. Greatly appreciate the constructive comments & critique.

To the honorable JasonJets & Quack - it was either Haggans or Travis LaBoy as backup & I felt like I had put too much youth on the team. Either guy was going to be short term anyway - OLB on B. Thomas side is a 2009 draft pick.
    Regarding 2 - I figured its gonna be either Long or Gholston. I am just so sick of watching us get pushed around at the LOS, I wanted as much weight and strength as possible. I saw Long utilized as OLB in the Cotton Bowl vs Texas Tech & liked what I saw. But I hear you -- Gholston runs a 4.58 - much faster than Long.
    3) - I'm going on a limb & say that IMO, Jamie Silva is going to be good. I think he'll compare to the 4th round pick we spent on Kerry Rhodes back in 2005. I think Quack said it best, """he is however a natural born football player. You can't teach that, you can't coach that, and you cannot expect a player to develop it.""" I honestly believe this -- I watch the kid play w/such reckless abandon, but he also came up w/8 interceptions. On a pretty talented team at BC, mind you. Just 1 of those guys that "I have a feeling."
    4) - I spent so much damn time back & forth on the FB position, I gotta be honest, I finally threw my hands up & said "the hell w/it" & submitted the post. There was no thought put into it.
    5) - I chose the CB to get the big size player in Godfrey, but also looking to finally groom 1 of our own as I feel that Dyson, Poteat & even Randall Gay (if FA) are ultimately journeymen from other team. Draft a young guy & develop him to play alongside Revis (nothing gets me more nuts than those who suggest we should hijack a Brinks truck to get Assante Samuel). I understand its not really a need position - our pass defense was actually ranked 8th or so in the NFL.
    6) -- At this point, I honestly dont know what the f--k to make of Hobson. He's not OLB in this 3-4 & who the hell knows if he can play ILB?? As an UFA, he is going to want a new contract (he will not accept a 2yr deal like some have suggested) and I am just not sure he is anywhere near worth it. The only reason I kept Barton is because its his last year of his contract.

Gustoon, my friend - I agree w/you 100% --- build the lines in the draft. I just passed early on O-lineman this year since we'd be getting Jacob Bell & Stacy Andrews in FA (hopefully).

I could live w/Johnny Hector's suggestion about getting a QB instead of a CB in the 3rd (especially if its Flacco, but he is moving up boards). Josh Johnson would be there in the 3rd round, maybe Erik Ainge. If not, then I'd be up for trying to get Kevin O'Connell (6' 6" 235) from San Diego St in the 5th.

8. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Will not be there in round 7.

9. Quack

Quack New Member

Yeah it takes a LOT of time. Mine took me five plus hours a day for three days straight, just working on that. Imagine the horror of my current project: A complete offseason evaluation of the entire league. Of course, if I am even 10% correct with this, I am to be hailed as a genius and to have my balls bronzed and enshrined in every draft lover's home. So it should be interesting. The real bitch is getting the cap and contract information for each team's current rosters.

10. wewantsapp

That is a horror project, but believe me.......I'll be looking for that offseason evaluation of the entire league. They arent many of us who follow football only. No baseball, no basketball, no hockey. No time for anything else besides college & pro football.

Rotoworld.com provides contract details on individual players. I'm not sure where to get team cap information.

11. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

we would need a receiver that is at least 6'3" to 6'4" or taller we lack that redzone go to jump ball guy....