My Updated 3 RD Mock

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

BTW, You know why the Saints might take Mario Williams?

Cause he's 295 Pounds, runs a 4.6, and has the skills of a smallish edge rusher ... and that makes him a mutha bleeper!!

:grin:

Believe me, if the Saints think Mario Williams will be Bruce Smith, Charles Grant and Will Smith won't matter one wit when the Saints send that card to the podium ... same as George Young didn't give two $hits less that the Giants strongest unit was linebacker when he drafted LT in the TOP 5

And that's the same reason the Pack might take Vernon Davis ... cause his ceiling is Canton

Sometimes it's just about taking GREAT TALENT, especially if they are also GREAT PLAYERS with all of the necessary skills to excell at the next level ... needs be damned

#21 Jabba the Jet, Mar 26, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  2. Ikeyman3

Ikeyman3 New Member

But you can't underestimate the fact that they are the Saints......., that throws your whole theory out of whack.:wink:

3. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

See that's what I'm talkin about, men ... thinking outside the box and making a good point :up: :grin:

4. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Some dude I really respect at another forum made a pretty compelling argument for Brick to the Saints at #2 Overall, Just thought I would share it with you guys cause I found it pretty convincing

This was in response to a question I put forth, if the Saints cannot find a trade partner that would keep them in range to draft Brick, do you think they will draft Brick at #2 or take what appears to be higher value in the form of Mario Williams?

#24 Jabba the Jet, Mar 26, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  5. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

I disagree. Just like our Jets, they have a new FO in place and mistakes made by the previous regime shouldn't even be linked to them.

Hate to burst your bubbles. :wink:

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

OK, solid point. Now here's mine. I see your point about Mario Williams. I will agree that he will probably make a couple of trips to Hawaii in his career, but at the same time you must understand this: Mario Williams may be a rare DE prospect, but D'Brickshaw Ferguson is a rare LT prospect. And considering that New Orleans has one of the better combination of DEs in the NFL, they should go with the rare LT to try to protect their new franchise QB.

Come April, I really feel this pick will be used on the franchise Left Tackle to anchor this line for at least 10 years.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Jabba, your friend made some excellent points about D'Brick and the Saints. Also I know you're a big believer in the "super unit" and having D'Brick/Jamaal Browne would give them some duo at OT.

8. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

NO DOUBT :eek:hmy:

Now You Guys {My friend, You, and JFIPA} are starting to convince me with more than just a needs based argument ... now I'm seeing the possibility {and logic} of Brick to the Saints at #2 if they don't trade down ... might even slot Brick to the Saints in my next updated mock :wink:

9. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I still think the Saints would be foolish not to take AJ Hawk given that they have horrendous Linebackers and he is going to go #5 or #6 anyways.

I think he is arguably at least as good as Ferguson and Mario and would fill the Saints biggest need.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Without a doubt they should draft AJ Hawk over Ferguson and Mario Williams. But when I put out my next big mock draft, I have a feeling New Orleans will be selecting D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

11. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Yeah, they did replace their Head Coach, but this is the same organization that drafted Deuce when they had Ricky and Will Smith even though they had Howard and Grant, so common sense doesn't always prevail.

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

New Orleans will now be known as Detroit-South.

What's interesting is the chain of events that goes if the Saints do take Hawk. Titans still go Leinart, Jets still Mario, but do the Packers take Huff to pair with Nick Collins and the rest of their young secondary? He certainly is the type of secondary leader they desperately need, like a new generation LeRoy Butler. Ferguson would be a solid pick as well at this point, but Chad Clifton is a very good player, and if they are going with Aaron Rodgers, the last thing they want is transition at the LT position. On the other hand, imagine how fast SF would get to the podium if by some wonderful miracle they had a chance at Ferguson.

13. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I honestly think that if we don't take Ferguson, the Packers surely won't. I think they would much rather get Vernon Davis for the same reasons the 49er s might draft him, and that is to get their young QB some offensive weapons. With no good WRs in the draft, they might as well get the best pass catcher. And don't let me hear any Bubba Franks crap because he had like 1-2 good seasons and has sucked ever since.

I think the Packers would also pass on Super Mario if we took Ferguson because they just locked up Kampman and also have KGB so they have two good OT and two good DE. I'm not sure if they got Grady Jackson, but they might be in line for Haloti Ngata also because they coudl use a big fat guy if Jackson is gone.

49ers are a lot like us in this sense where there are a ton of people who fit what they need and they just have to wait and see what the people ahead of us do. Think about it they could easily draft Ferguson, Mario, Ngata, Vernon, Huff, DeAngelo, etc. and get tremendous value.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If the Niners have a shot at Mike Huff, and guys like Hawk, Ferguson, etc. are off the board, I don't have a doubt in my mind that he's their guy. Mike Nolan knows the type of players he wants, guys who can just as quickly take over a game with their head as their physical talent and football ability. Also, seeing the impact of Ed Reed first hand for a few years certainly must influence his thinking, because Huff has that kind of potential.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Here's a Mock draft I participated in over a week ago, I was the Jet's GM and the scenario you guys were talking about happened...Hawk drafted #2, GB takes Huff!!!!

We drafted on a chat room, with 1 minute between picks and 30 of the 32 GM showed up.

My Jet Draft......plus UDFA's I selected. Draft was before Abe trade and Ashworth and Runyon were still available.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?t=10106

1) Mario Williams DE....Yes I did pass on ML! Mario is thje 2nd best player on my Board.
    2) Demeco Ryans OLB.....Maybe not the best fit for the 3-4, but IMO the BPA, is a great LB, similar in size to Vilma and extremely smart and a team leader.
    3) Demetruis Williams WR.........a steal in Rd 3. I believe WR is a need, Chrebet gone and JM is a ?. We need four solid receivers.
    4) Jason Spitz OG...........can play either guard position and center. Some Jet fans on this site were pissed I didn't draft an O-Lineman in Day 1, but my first 3 players are needs and their value was too good to pass up.
    5) Mike Degory C...........gets a bad rap by some, but Mike is tough as nails and played thru some nagging injuries. Not as polished as Mangold, but in time with proper coaching, will develop.
    6) Ingle Martin QB...........a sleeper, that had a good combine, and transfered to Furman.
    7) Troy Reddick OT.............a steal in Rd 7

UDFA's

We were given 100 pts and had to bid on players...ala an Auction.

David Pittman CB
    Tony Tella OG
    Ryan Hart QB
    Terrence Whithead RB
    Eric Smith SS

#35 WW85, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006