Tangini Year 2: Where are we

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 24, 2007.

?

Where is this team after 2 years?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2007.
  1. Ahead of where you expected

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Right where you expected

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Behind your expectations

83 vote(s)
    79.8%
  1. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

When both Tannenbaum and Mangini took control of the team I think everyone thought that this team was going to be rebuilding for at least 2-3 years before this team could get back into the playoffs and go deep into the playoffs. Last year, it looked like they certainly accelerated the rebuilding process. This year this team has taken steps back. So where are we in year 2? Ahead of expectations, right where you expected, or behind in rebuilding this team.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Last year appears to have been an abberation.

3. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Cough [look over here] cough ?RETARDS? cough

4. e-x

e-x New Member

stay classy

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Hey, all ya gotta do is trade last year for this year, and we're right where we need to be.

6. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Well when we first signed him I didn't expect much until year three or four but after last season my expectations were raised. I feel like last year we won a bunch of games where we clearly outcoached and gameplanned better than the other team. So after that I thought that Mangini and Shott would be able to keep us competitive even though I knew our talent level wasn't there yet compared to other teams. This year has been a total 180. I feel like we have been outcoached in nearly every game. So overall I think we are behind schedule.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Do you think Jet players read this?

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I expected them to struggle this year based on the fact that they did not do enough to strengthen the lines. I did not expect them to be this bad though. So I have to vote behind my expectations, which is pretty bad because mine were low to begin with.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While I like the overall direction (building through the draft, not handing out big FA contracts while we lack talent in several areas) things are looking grim in a few areas.

Offensive line play. Is it coaching, talent, Scheme? All three? Some thing needs to be done here.

Defensive Line play. Better of late, but still underwhelming. We need to get bigger here as well as on the O-line.

Outside Linebackers. I'm not sold on Hobson. As a run stuffer he's only ok and well below average as a pass rusher. Thomas? he still on the team? The only time I notice him is when he misses yet another tackle.

Mangold, Brick, Revis, and Harris all look like they will be Studs in the NFL. Clemens has shown good tools and leadership,once he gets a little blocking i think he's going to be a good QB in this league.

10-6 last year. In close games with both Superbowl teams.

2-9 this year. Getting beat up all over the place, yet wining against one of the strongest clubs in the NFL after our By week.

Every loss highlights the lack of push by either of our lines every week. Beating the Steelers was the only time we got consistant yards on the ground for one game.

The D seems to be turnign the corner, but they pulled that trick last year. At this point its hard to know where we stand week in and week out, out side of really sucking on the lines.

10. Satire?

Satire? Guest

we're behind the walls of socieety

#10 Satire?, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  11. nyjvilma51

nyjvilma51 New Member

Ok, first off I don't post here very often unless its during games and I'm shockingly at my computer so some people will probably wonder who the heck i am or if I even know the game..

So with all that being said...I believe we are right on track with the team that Mangini wants to build. Last year he took a team that was a playoff team from the beginning. I think a lot of people forgot we were a contender in 05 but with injuries fell flat on our face. He worked his magic and also showed a lot of guts and laying it on the line..he also used a lot of schemes from past years if you look closely. He used a lot more 4-3 then you noticed, and used the style of offense that chad could be successful in.

Brings me to this year...this year he is starting to get his players that he wants onto his team finally. You are seeing that...yes, 21 of 22 players are back. So why the drop off? He changed the defense...its more 3-4 this year then last year. Question me? Look at all the tape and I do have it so you don' thave to look. Last year he used the 3-4 about half to a little over half the game. This year its more 3-4 than 4-3 by far. Was that smart? maybe not, but he has to implament his system sooner or later. Next, he took the offense that chad was successful in and tried make it more dynamic...problem is chad couldn't do that. He is not that type of qb. He opened up the play book but chad would look for the first under route and throw it to that person. Chad never looked deam. Reasons chad was always sacked or made bad choices late in the game.

Why has the passing not changed with dunks with clemens? People of NYC people. If the book is opened up completely right now and he struggles we ripped him just like many are right now. Is it fair for clemens? No, and Mangini knows that. He is putting Clemens in the best position not to fail right now because he is young and does not want ot hurt his development.

failures this year....

I believe that 1. we are not a suprise team. People know who we are and what we all do well. So the game plan for it much better this go around. 2. our players are young, lots of things that went our way last year won't go our way this year. 3. Its the NFL people. Look at a lot of teams that were good last year who are struggling this year. Its a very hard game to play and be consistant year in and year out. Don't bring up the pats...it took a few years for them to get where they are now.

Last year Mangini laid out his building plan. We are building a defense and I believe we are only a few peices away from there and on offense clemens just needs to get playing time. Stop looking for other qb's because for once we have a qb who picks up his play when we need it. On game winning/tying drives..he has driven us into position to win or tie the game. Some of the players around him failed. This team will be a competitive team in another year or two.

only question is...can we wait long enough? I know I can.

12. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Way behind obviously. I thought Mangini took over a damaged, but still very talented team in the 06 Jets, most of the 04 roster was still in tacked. He wasn't really taking over a 4-12 team, as that team was demolished by injuries, so I never really thought of any of this as rebuilding. I expected the jets to be a playoff team immediately in 06, which they were. So last yr Mangini met my expectations.

But this year, he took a huge step back (obviously) by failing to make any major offseason improvements. Through that mistake, we have what we have now, the 07 jets. I expected the 07 jets to atleast win a playoff game or 2 (or maybe be the year), but this yr went horribly wrong.

13. thrill5one6

thrill5one6 New Member

Most likely we will be disappointed

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We are probably a little worse off then we were at the end of 2005. That says it all.

15. LWC611

LWC611 Member

We had a really good schedule last year. The reality is were not a very good team last season.. 25TH OVER ALL DEFENSE 20TH RANKED OFFENSE given the tough schedule a step back isn't really surprising.. However, I did not think the year would shape up in to the train wreck we watching now...

16. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

we are going the wrong --cking way, no matter how many sunshiners say to wait it out. the sunshiners on this board dont understand football, they only wanna be like new england.

17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You're right...I don't know what I was thinking. ManBeliFuckedYourWifeToo (thanks vick) is absolutely the worst coach ever. We have no talent on our team and are starting the wrong QB. Bring Chad back. Bring Kendall back. Bring Mo Lewis out of retirement. Hire Bill Parcells. Then, we'll get Bill Cowher as our defensive coordinator and hire Mike Martz away from Detroit. Sky'll be the limit, cause everyone knows that a team full of former head coaches always wins...just look at the fins blueprint for success.

18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

do you need to vent, or what?

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This is a tough caall for me. I went with right where we expected. I think last year was characterized by over-achievement, a weak schedule, and Pennington having a very good year.

I think this year is a reality check, and though painful, probably came at the best time.

This year, we played a much harder schedule, Chad did not have a good year, and our obvious weakness is the defensive line and to an extent our offensive line. If we do not address the lines in the off-season then we clearly are going south next year, too.

20. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

They drafted and signed four potential pro-bowl players the last two years:
    Ferguson, Mangold, Harris and Revis.