Mangini Escaped Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Another brilliant job of game coaching by the HC and CS today.

First, the choices to go for it on 4th down twice in the 4th quarter were idiotic and almost cost the Jets the game. On the first drive earlier in the first quarter, with 4th and 2 on the Steeler 31 and the wind at your back in a tie game, you kick a FG!!!!!! Then when you get the penalty, you punt. With the way the defense was playing, you don't go for it on 4th and 7.

The second time, late in the 4th quarter was just as stupid. Instead of pinning the Steelers deep in their territory, you give the Steelers the ball on their 40 yard line. If you punt and the defense pins the Steelers, the Jets would have started near midfield rather than on their own 14 yard line.

Then the play calling starting with 1st and goal from the 5 with 40 seconds left was horrible again.

The Jets won in spite of the in-game decisions by the CS staff today.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Awesome got to love Jet fans. They hate that he is passive and he gets attacked when he goes for it. Congrats you must be a whole lot of fun to drive with when you are in the back seat.

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Mangini has proven to be very competent at making Bye-week adjustments...

He has proven UNBELIEVABLY incompetent at making half-time adjustments....

2 more wins though, in my opinion, and he's guaranteed another year....

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

There is a time and a place for everything. Just because a 1-8 team won today doesn't mean that all is well. Those decisions were terrible and turned a game that should have been a regulation win into an overtime heart pounder. And as for back seat comment, if you don't like commentary by those who are not coaches, then why are you reading this board???? We don't have the right to question decisions when the Jets win???? Who put you in charge???

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Give me a break. Everyone was complaining he was too passive (rightfully so) now he reverts back to the same coach we all liked last year and here you are whinging about it.

#5 Miamipuck, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

he's not saying that.

he's saying Mangini's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't; not that you're unallowed to voice your opinion.

7. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

He could probalby have gotten by without the personal commentary, but I think his point is that Mangini has been getting killed on here this season for not being aggressive and not going for it in the same area. Then, when he does, he is criticized for not being conservative.

8. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

Yeah I hear you man, but let it go for this week. If Mangini can scrape some more wins together then it wont be a big deal, but if we end up 2-14 then it would be a good case and point to fire him.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Thank you!

10. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Actually, I thought going for it on 4th showed some guts. I was sick of mangini punting it away all the time from around the opponents 40 yd line. And nuge hasn't been good lately from far away.

I thought he did a fine job coaching. The only thing I absolute hate is how we always call that same damn play (and it hardly ever works) where we run the ball with no blocking FB and jones lined up 9 yds behind the line of scrimmage. It's like an automatic loss or no gain.

11. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Don't be a dick

12. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Although I’m happy about the win and doing my best to NOT participate in negative threads…They didn't nickname him Mandumbnuts for nothing.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Dude we were 1-8..........Most of the time teams who arent playoff bound just play loose and go all out to get a rhythm going for the future.

No problem at all with the going for it, just thought the plays they called werent the best at that point.

14. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I loved the 4th down calls. It does 2 things, gives you a chance if you make it and shows the defense you have confidence in them. I really liked the defensive side of the ball. The run game looked better, but I hate the route combinations that we have in the passing game. I don't even think anyone is being sent deep on most pass plays.

15. GreenBleeder69

We were 1-8 with nothing to lose! Of course you go for it on 4th down!

16. OSUJetFan89

OSUJetFan89 New Member

the team was 1-8, why not take some chances, before Mangini was criticized for being too conservative and now he's too aggressive? whatever, a win is a win its not always going to be perfect but i thought the game was awesome and a lot of fun. nothing makes me happier than rubbing this victory in the face of my steeler fan girlfriend

17. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I agree that Mangini's coaching today was not exactly stellar.

On the other hand, I will NEVER have a problem with going for it on 4th down (unless it's one of those situations where you actually have to punt or kick the FG to win).