The Jets should TRADE DOWN!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

IMO it's not time to draft a QB with both Pennington and Ramsey on the roster. Other teams want the #4 for a QB or Mario Williams...and with all of the needs we have, I say TRADE DOWN.

Right now with the Abraham trade we are sitting on 3 of the top 35 picks in the draft. How would you like the Jets to have 4 of the top 35 picks? I'd rather have 4 of the top 35 than the 3 we presently have or anyone we'll pick at #4.

What could we address with 4 of the top 35 picks? In no particular order...

1 - Oline
    2 - Dline
    3 - LB
    4 - RB

All the guys you all talk about, the Lawsons and the Maroney's and the Center...all of them will be available with one if not more of our picks. 4 of the top 35? Is that a good way to build a franchise? I think so...

gg

What if we drafted one of each among the first 34 picks? Sounds good to me!

2. Chad Vs THe World

i see no playmakers of the four, and if im not mistaken, among the jets many holes, is playmaker on both sides of the ball

3. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Right now we have the following picks:

1-4
    1-29
    2-35

3-71
    4-102
    4-116
    5-133
    7-194

4/116 if from KC for Herm Edwards signing
    #6 went to Washington for Patrick Ramsey

4. ice

ice New Member

if you look at the points value i would love to trade down. let me ask you guys, would you trade the 4th overall pick for the 8th overall pick and in the process pick up the 40th overall pick and the 71st pick overall? that is just one variation i can think of. there are even more enticing ones. we can truly replenish our roster by trading down. the draft is such a crap shoot, the more picks the better. the last thing this franchise needs is a joey harrington, ryan leaf, mike williams, charles rodgers, akili smith type of picks in the top 5. TRADE DOWN!!!!!!

5. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

guys, forget the POINTS system! It's pretty much for fantasy players, not real world!

If we can trade out of the #4 pick and land one pick in the top 17 and one in the top 35 we have a total of four of the top 35 picks! All of them can make an impact in year #1 of the TanGinni Regime!

Next year we can move up for our QB!

6. ice

ice New Member

GreenGuy, say what you want about the point system but it is used as a guideline. it pulls in historical trades involving moving up and down a draft board. if it's off, it won't be off by much. i trust this regime, i think they will sell the fact that they will draft vince young and then trade down.

7. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

at first i was against trading down. but now im seein things from your POV. There are other teams dying for the #4 pick and would be willing to give up anything for it. I've always been a fan of having two good picks as opposed to having one great pick. We have so many holes on this team and we need all the picks we can get

8. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

I have been in agreement with you on this since day 1 GG. When you have as many holes as we do, and your NOT going to the playoffs next season (I do not give a SH*T what Penny&THEJETS says), you have GOT TO trade down. The more shots we get in a crapshoot of a draft (every draft is a crapshoot), the more likely we find those playmakers. Even if we traded down from 4th to 9 or 11, and picked up another early pick or two in the process, the % of those players becoming SOMETHING rather than another Leaf, Harrington, Akili, etc has got to be MUCH GREATER. I cannot see how it would not be.

Honestly, since Mangini is a deciple of the Beledick system, I do not see us moving up and putting ALL OUR EGGS in one basket. It makes no sense, and is a MUCH bigger risk for the team and the NEW management. Besides, what good is a solid QB with very little around him? Plenty of Super Bowl contending teams have made it with just an average QB. We have two POTENTIAL BETTER THAN AVG QB's in PENNINGTON AND RAMSEY. You trade down, and build a team! Do not waste your picks moving up for Leinart!

What really gets me is the I bet 80% of the people on this board who want the Jets to TRADE UP have never even seen Leinart play! It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that putting all your hopes in one guy, when football is so dependant on the QUALITY of the team as a WHOLE, makes no sense whatsoever, especially when you have as many holes as we do! Team Tangini is not dumb, as we have seen thus far. I am going out on a limb here and will GUARANTEE we do not trade up. MARK MY WORDS--NO NEW TAXES!

You hear me Penny&theJets? I have had it with your Leinart man loving ass!! This is not Brokeback Mountain! This is the NFL! This is a team sport you moron@!!! All day long on this board I see his little posts, "trade up" in every single thread! SHUT THE F*(K UP ALREADY!! WE GET YOUR OPINION!! IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PLASTERED ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

Oh, and I agree with you Green Guy. WE TRADE DOWN!! Go Jets!

Fitz

9. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

at first i was against trading down. but now im seein things from your POV. There are other teams dying for the #4 pick and would be willing to give up anything for it. I've always been a fan of having two good picks as opposed to having one great pick. We have so many holes on this team and we need all the picks we can get

10. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Look, there are very few teams that are Bullish on Leinart right now. Who really needs a QB?

The Texans are set with Carr. New Orleans just signed Brees. Tennessee at #3 is in need of a QB and seems to want Leinart, but are not willing to trade up at this point to guarantee him with both Cutler and Young still available.

The Jets are iffy at best. After the Jets you've got Green Bay sitting 5th. The Packers are waiting on Lord Favre, but they took Aaron Rogers #1 last year in preparation, and will probably go Defensive Line or LB. Then comes San Francisco #6 with last year's #1 overall going for Alex Smith.

The Raiders are the wild card at #7 with Aaron Brooks signed this week, but no one can ever guess what Al Davis might do?

#8 is Buffalo - are they happy with JP Losman? Would they spend another #1 on a QB this year? Doubtful. #9 is Detroit with two FA quarterbacks signed. Arizona at #10 is a possible, with only Rohan Davey behind oft injured old timer Kurt Warner. St. Louis at #11 is said to be enamored with Leinart, but they would have to trade with the Saints to get him. Would they be interested in #4 if Leinart goes to Tennessee and they might want Cutler?

Cleveland at #12 is unlikely, but then Baltimore is at #13 and they are continuously looking for the QB.

There are other possibilities, but no one else after Baltimore is in DESPARATE need of a QB. One of those teams could have interest in Young...?

So, unless Tennessee takes the Saints' bait, or someone else bites...the Jets are sitting at #4 with teams behind them interested in moving up for either Cutler, Young, or even Mario Williams...

#4 is a good place to trade out of for the Jets IMO

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. I made a post to this effect about a month ago. Personally, I think having as many picks in the top 100 as you can get. Imagine having 8 picks in the top 100. The truth is you never know with these things and more is better. It cracks me up when guys trade 2 or 3 second or third round picks to get a first rounder....DUMB. No matter how they are rated or what there college stats are or how fast they are...it does not mean squat until they get to the pros. Truth is only about 10% of 1st round picks fill thier full potenital anyway. More picks are always better. Look at guys like Martin, Coles, Miller, Chrebet, Fabini, Baker, Hobson, Rhodes, Coleman, Young, Thomas, Fergy, etc...these are the kind of guys you build a franchise around and the more of them you can get the better. And then you never break your cap by paying a Drob all kinds of money to never fill their potential.

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I agree. But damn, I like to get Brick. I think he is going to be a great player. Logically, I agree with you, the more the picks the better. But I hate passing on a player like that for O-Line which is such a position of need for us. I am torn really, dont' know which I want to happen.

13. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

If we traded down I would want it to be for Bush. No talk of him?

14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They have to come out of this draft with either one of the QB's or Ferguson, Williams or Hawk. Can't move down where you can't get either of them.

15. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Totally agree, trade down and stockpile picks. Take DeAngelo Williams in the 7-10 area.

16. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

yes i agree, trade down,,,,, take DEANGELO baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Green Tea

Green Tea New Member

I like this idea.

Trade with Denver.

Denver currently has the 15th and 22nd overall picks in the 2006 NFL Draft.

According to most draft trade value charts, the 4th overall pick is nearly equal to the 15th plus the 22nd overall picks in draft trade value.

Jets give #4 to Denver and get #15 plus #22.

The Jets would have 8 picks on Day one, with 3 first rounders (#15, #22, & #29), an early second rounder (#35), and a third round compensatory pick included (if it is correct that the Jets will get two comp picks - a 3rd and 7th), IMO.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'm not sure Denver wants #4 that badly.

19. getterdun

getterdun New Member

You forgot corner. David Barrett and Justin Miller are all we've got right now. Adequate at best. If we stay put, I say use #29 on the best available.

20. Green Tea

Green Tea New Member

I don't claim to know that Denver wants the fourth overall pick, but it certainly is an idea worth pursuing, IMO.