Vilma lost for the year (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcon4e, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Villmatic52

Villmatic52 New Member

Ok, back to the Jets and Vilma. Is there any report out that specifically explains what Vilma's injury is and how long he is likely to miss? All that I have heard is speculation from two different extremes: some sources saying that he is out for the year with a torn ligament and yet others believe that he might play on sunday. Can someone shed light into what is really going on with my man and favorite member of the Jets Jon Vilma?

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Mangini benched Vilma for sucking on Sunday and called it an injury. Vilma went on his weekly radio show and said I just sucked I'm not hurt at all. Sutton, trying to hang onto his job did a Tanya Harding on Vilma's knee to get back into Mangini's good graces.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Albeit a highbred version of. If that is a 4-3 I'm a minkeys uncle.

IMO thats the whole F'n problem its neither one or the other , its confusing to the fans let alone the players , and we all know the coach now has a bald spot from scratching.

PS. Thanks RaiderJeaux for the bet which you coughed up on. I missed it at first , but you were true to your word. :up:

4. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Chris Russo just announced Jets put Vilma on injured reserve.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

It's been so bizzarre with this... In the car yesterday, for about 2 hours, here's the sequence of reports I heard...

Of course, I already knew Vilma got pulled for a knee injury, and then denied it....

Mangini says Vilma may be able to play Sunday, this is early afternoon

A couple hours later, Mangini declares Vilma out

And then today, IR

What the hell is going on?

6. the_wanton_song

He's a great player who's being wasted in th3 3 -4 . If he played for Bill Belichick he'd be a probowler year in and year out. What a waste of talent. Your head coach should be benched.

7. winstonbiggs

Great players are great in any scheme, the fact that he needs to be protected to excell says a lot about how great he really is.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth

9. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I don't agree....

Do you consider Joe Montana a great player? Do you think he would have excelled in an air-it out, 1990s Vikings style offense? No way, he would have been just a regular old QB, with a lot of poise and potential....

Along those same lines, how great would cannon-armed, air it out Joe Willie Namath have been in a West Coast Offense?

Hell, what about Kevin Mawae, one of the best Pulling centers in football's history... How good would he have been if we used him in a scheme that asked him to pass-block 60% of the time, and to drive block the other 40%? Just a really gritty center....

Deion Sanders? Say Dallas had decided to play a Cover-2 scheme.... Sanders would have been wasted, he couldn't play physically, up at the line like that...

Warren Sapp as a NT in the 3-4? No chance...

There are countless examples...

10. winstonbiggs

Namath would have been great with a WC O it would have been a waste but he would have been great. Montana would also have been really good in a none WC O. You want to know what Montana would have looked like without the WCO, try Ken Stabler who won a SB and should be in the HOF if he hadn't been such a dirt ball.

Warren Sap hard to tell what he would have done, it's clear that DRob in the 4/3 couldn't do what Sap did so the idea that Sap couldn't have excelled in another system is just speculation.

Sanders would be an impact player on any football team in any scheme, wouldn't matter at all.

Great players make plays all the time they change games, Vilma is not a great player.

#170 winstonbiggs, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

You seem to be quite the player hater.

The guy goes down for the season and you bluster about how is doesnt compare to HOFers.

He is a very good football player, and it's ungrateful fans like you who derserve losing teams. Looks like you got what you deserved.

Carry on with your negative crap.

12. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You're speculating, and you're dead wrong... What makes you think Montana had the arm to air it out? Sanders would have been an impact return guy still, but he wouldn't have been great if he had to play up at the line, and man the flats all the time, you kidding me?

These guys would show flashes, as Vilma has in the 3-4, but they would not be consistently great because their strengths would not be taken advantage of within the scheme....

Many, many great players become great because their talents fit very well within the scheme they are asked to play in...

There are a number of guys (Tom Brady, Barry Sanders, Joe Klecko, and Ronnie Lott come to mind immediately) who would be great no matter what they were asked to do, but those are the best of the best.

As far as the majority of great players go, most of the time, they become great because the scheme focuses on their strengths....

How many people would consider Marshall Faulk for the Hall of Fame, had he never been asked to catch passes? Faulk revolutionized the RB position, but in a different scheme, he just would have been just another good runner...

Essentially, when a player is forced to switch schemes, often times he ends up playing a position totally different from what he had been playing before....

Not every great pass-rushing DE can be a good passrusher if he's bumped inside in a 3-4 scheme, and most of them will be very ineffective as run stoppers from the inside....

Not every great big-armed QB has the accuracy to succeed in a scheme that focusses on short routes....

Not every great, savvy, smart QB has the arm to succeed in an air it out scheme....

Not every great OL would succeed if they're asked to pull consistently...

Not every great OL would succeed if they're never asked to pull....

It goes on and on.....

13. winstonbiggs

You have a rag on for Mangini and seem to think this team is loaded and that Vilma and Chad are great players. I hate players getting hurt but I see a good young coach who did a great job last year who is upgraded the talent on this team and put the blame on the talent level. You see an over matched coach with a HOF squad. Seems to me we disagree on principle but if you want to act like a Jewish mother and lay on a guilt trip fine. When you want to have a reasoned discussion despite a differnce of opinion, let me know? The negative crap is very two sided.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

You what that sounds like to me? That was the sound of the Jets chances of trading Vilma for a 1st rounder going down the toilet...sad. Say hello to a 2nd or 3rd rounder now....

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Are you kidding? Short of the good work you did in TC the only thing you spout is negative bullcrap. So I guess you know negative when you see it?

Winston is about the only real non-negative poster in this place.

Great response Winston:

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This is ridiculous.

17. winstonbiggs

I happen to think JC is a real asset to this board, I enjoy his posts. I apparently rubbed him on Vilma. No big deal from my point of view. I would prefer that he expressed his opinion to the point and if he disagrees he tells me why, it makes for a better discussion.

18. Johnnytint

Johnnytint Member

19. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

"I am disappointed that my season ended prematurely," said Vilma. "I was looking forward to playing the rest of the season and helping the team get back on track."

I don't know why we give this organization our hard-earned money, these guys dont deserve a cent. Mangini and Tannenbaum need to be fired.

20. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

I don't know why we give this organization our hard-earned money, these guys dont deserve a cent. Mangini and Tannenbaum need to be fired.