This ARTICLE EXPLAINS THE JET'S DEFENSIVE PROBLEMS.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WW85, Oct 8, 2007.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

2. Youth Is Served

Youth Is Served New Member

Great article, and perfect explination of the problems with this defense. As I have stated multiple times when you switch from 4-3 to a 3-4 you need to rebuild it correctly year by year. You need patience to rebuild, and Tangini knows this. This up coming off-season is the big off season. Players will be moved and cut and money will be spent.

Rebuilding takes 3-4 years if you do it right. Unlike the other coaches and gm's on our team they did not know how to build a defense. Tangini does!!
    This defense is going to be built around. Harris, Thomas, Revis, Miller, Rhodes, Kenyon Coleman, and Eric Smith.

Gaining a top 5 draft pick this year could be an amazing thing for the Jets. With a possible trade down for two 1sts would be the best case scenario.

Being patient with the rebuild is the only way to rebuild, if you start to panic then you will dig yourself in a hole. Expiring contracts will help our already excellent cap situation.

Be patient and judge this staff after next off-season. Then they would have had 3 off seasons and 3 of their own drafts. The pieces are in place for an excellent future, the Jets just need another off season or two to make their own dynasty.

I for one am very happy with the way this team is being built and I feel better about the Jets future then I have in years past.

Youth

3. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Yeah definitely good stuff in this article and mirrors what I've been thinking. As much as I hate to say it, I think we need to trade Vilma while his value is still decently high and D-Rob though not sure what we'll get for him. We need a monster NT on defense, some 3-4 style LB's. Also on O we need to finish stabilizing that line.

4. Bawden

Bawden New Member

Man, I have said it before and will said it until kickoff of next season. We need Terell Suggs. Plain and simple. If we have a high pick we should offer baltimore it and trade down and get a whole mess of picks. We really don't need a high drafted QB, RB, WR, LT, C, and on Defense we dont an OLB, or NT. If we can get out OLB in Suggs well then loooks like we can get a nice chunk of picks in this years draft

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i'll co-sign on Suggs. i don't think we have to trade for him though, as he'll be a Free Agent.

we passed on Thomas this past Offseason; if we really want to right the ship, Suggs is a great starting point. he's young, and downright scary on the field. i don't think he has any off-field issues and he seems pretty healthy. getting Suggs puts two of the LB's in place with him and Harris. that alone will improve the D.

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Which Jet? To me, they all have defensive problems. Regardless, it doesn't take anyone to tell me their problems, they're right in front of us every Sunday.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with that, but I doubt the Ravens are willing to part with Suggs a year after they let Adalius Thomas go. They drafted him in the first round for a reason, and I don't think they're even going to entertain trade offers. He'll be signed before the season is out.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd break the bank for Suggs next year for sure.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

nothing that hasn't been posted on these boards by yours truly and many many other posters....

jil

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So you don't think Parcells didn't know how to build a defense? Where were you? And it didn't take him 3-4 years to do it, it took 1.

#10 Don, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  11. Youth Is Served

Parcells had more players that were suited for it and Parcells inherited a better team. Herman and Bradway ruined this team and put the Jets in a big hole. Your cant dig out of salary cap issues terrible contracts and awful FA signings in one year.

Sorry just not possible.

Youth

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Most of the players were brought in by Parcells through the draft or through free agency on defense. The point being this is where Manidiot doesn't know what he is doing. You don't change the scheme and then go get the players. You get the palers and then change the scheme. The Cardinal Sin, the worst of all worlds, however, and this is Manidiot at his best, is to change the scheme and then NOT get the players.

13. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

Why exactly do you think the Ravens will ever let Suggs go?

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

franchise player-unless ogdens contract is up for renewal

15. Suggs is the one FA on defense who fits the scheme Mangini wants to play and is worth the price tag.

16. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

the problem of our defense, probably is our head coach, and d coordinator.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

don interesting with manidiot, however i think you may like mangina a little better if he is annoying you. i dont yet feel i can call him mangina but hold it as my right to do when i feel the time is appropriate. :)

18. Youth Is Served

Well since you want to make an argument and compare Mangini's first two years to Parcells first to with the Jets. Then I will mention once again how Parcells was brought into a better situation. The team had a lot of salary cap room and a lot of players there weren't committed to long term. When Mangini inherited this team Bradway had put him in cap trouble with long contracts for players way past their prime. Bradway and Herm also put this team behind a few years by the way they drafted and signed free agents. Mangini has had to work around these contracts and next off season a lot of these contracts will be taken care of.

That is the prime difference between the two, like I said earlier Parcells was brought into a better situation all together better team and better cap situation. It was easier for him to make moves in his first year. Also Parcells never planned on staying here long and he used everything he could to try to win a superbowl. Mangini is building a dynasty that can be competitive for many many years not just a one and done.

Parcells left this team in cap hell because of this strategy and it didnt work and set the team back 5 years atleast. Mangini is building a team from the ground up, have some patience and give the kid a chance.

Youth

19. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Money should not be a hindrance- the Jets need to show him the money and make him the face of this defense.

If he's a free agent and the Jets don't even offer a la Adalius Thomas, then I'm officially going to think this regime is clueless. This year's defense is the worst I've seen as a Jets fan and the defense hasn't progressed.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

If Suggs makes it to the open market I will eat my shorts. There is no way.