4-3 would so work

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by buddapaw, Oct 1, 2007.

1. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Let's face it, the 3-4 is NOT getting any pressure on the opposing qb and is very weak against screen passes. Yes we are not really getting gashed by the run because the qbs have all day to throw and the receivers have ample time to get open so why run when they can throw all day. The way I see it is D-Rob and Pouha would be an effective combo at DT and the outside DE's would be the Big Kat and Coleman. The LB's would be Vilma in the middle with the much needed protection from the opposing OL men, Hobson and BT on his effective side - where is playing now is not working out - switch him back. With this suggestion Pouha would be the space-eater and Drob could quite possibly be more effective at getting in the backfield and then our DBs would not have to work so hard in coverage. Let's face it even the worst QB in the league when given time will kill yah. The defense have been on the field for too long this year and in the second half they seem to wear down. Our blitzes have also been neutralized all year, we are 1-3 what do we have to lose? CHANGE TO THE 4-3 NOW STUPID!

2. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I can't see BT working in the 4-3, he'd probably get traded in the offseason.
    I don't see how you can call what their doing now, 3-4 anyway. Isn't BT usually playing on the line?

Anyway, what i meant to say is that i would think a combination of the two schemes would work well with our guys. Mangini is supposed to be the genius, why doesn't he show us a little something special.

#2 Twombles, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  3. Lake

Lake New Member

I just want the soft DB coverage to stop. I never realized just how much of a cushion the Jets give opposing receivers until I saw it in person yesterday.

4. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

It's the bend, don't break, god I hope the opposing offense makes a bad throw so we can get off the field defense.

5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

That is all part of the inefficient scheme/gameplan that the DC and CS is coming up with.

6. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Well, they can't play too close to the WRs unless the guys up front manage to get some pressure, which they're obviously incapable of doing.

7. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

They played a lot of a four down lineman formations during the Bills game. The problem was the players in coverage were always backing off the receivers. I'm not sure why this is happening, but something has to change

8. Exactly.

And as for the 4-3....I think it'd help in terms of stopping the run...but pass rush wise....it might be even worse

9. baamf

baamf Active Member

They played quite a bit of 4-3 yesterday, in fact I think they opened the game with it. We all saw how that worked out....

10. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Our pass rush would suck worse going to the 4-3, our running defense would still not be very good, and because of that whatever you get for Vilma wouldn't be worth it, a change of scheme is an absolutely terrible idea since the gain is at most minimal and we will still have to go to the transition all over again. Not only is switching to the 4-3 a panic move but it is also an absolute waste in time and money

11. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

We ran a little 4-3 yesterday in obvious running situations. It worked fairly well.

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Against a garbage offensive team, the 4-3 will fail miserably

13. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Yes, but blitzing 60% of the time and getting 2 sacks will also kill you.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I can not disagree, it really comes down to stubborness and a wilingness to change if something is not working. This is one of the things that was eventually Herm's undoing.