Thoughts on the trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DariusVassell, Mar 21, 2006.

1. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

First of all kudos to the front office for having the bottle to wait until they got what they asked for after agreeing in principle with the Hawks that Abraham was worth a #31 pick and let most of us on here if not everyone i have the utmost confidence in Mike Tannenbaum to do a massively better job than Badway could dream about but and here's my opinion.......

If Denver have just traded away a late round pick for a third this year and a fourth next year and moved up 14 places in round 1 which by any reason is grand larceny then why the hell didnt we offer a third and fourth for the #15 pick instead??

Hell we know we are getting possibly some decent compensatory picks from the free agent departures last year so why not in theory use those....

We could be sitting at #4 and #15 this moment instead of #29 for a couple of compensatory picks so before we crack open the beer i think we just missed a trick which Denver benefited from.....

Hey i'm not a muppet or a woe is the Jets individual but you know ChampJets69 would bring this up had he thought of it first.....

Overall i give this trade a B+ Good for us but could have been greater....:beer: :up:

2. green27

green27 New Member

you can't trade a comp. pick. I'm almost positive.

3. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

Exactly you can not trade Comp. picks.

4. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

That is true but you can trade your own third round pick this year and fourth next year and still have the benefit from our compensatory picks

5. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

I definately agree that we should have that #15 pick, especially because our 3rd and 4th round picks are a lot higher than denvers

6. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

Hey its still a good deal but for pick #76 this year and a 4th rounder next year to move up 14 places in round 1 this year, this deal could have been so much better...

7. Warrior

Warrior Member

You would have been happy trading Abraham and a 3rd rounder this year and next years 4th rounder for the 15th pick? No way you make that trade. The straight up Abraham for the 29th pick is much better and cleaner and you still have 2 additional picks.

8. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

You also do not know what comp picks you are going to get. I think a lot of people may be suprised with the comp picks the Jets get because it goes by who you lost vs who you gained and dont forget the Jets got law and he had a excellent year.

9. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

As much as I would have liked that 15th pick, we need those extra picks real bad... Just hope we don't screw it up when we pick at 29.

10. mkcatl

mkcatl New Member

the problem with trading our 3rd and 4th and aquiring the 15th is that we probably plan on trading our newly aquired pick to New Orleans along with our 4th pick,for the 2nd pick in the draft. if we would have obtained the 15 pick for our 3rd and 4th rounders and abe we would not have the right picks to move up to number two, we couldn't give them the 15th pick because that would be too much. now if a deal does go through with N.O. we only gave up abe to move up.IMO and we will still have all of our picks

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

How about we trade away the #29 now, for someone else's first rounder next year? Then, if we feel like Quinn is the answer, we have two first rounders next year to push us to the top of the draft?

We can still get some real value at #29 this year too. And those extra picks later are this new regime's chance to make their homework count. This staff is the type to take those late first day, and early second day picks into quality starters. I'm glad we hung on to the later picks. Denver needs them much less than we do.