Clemens wins starting position for rest of the season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets Fan from NE, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I also didn't hurt that for the quarters the game was called as if Herm was still the head coach. We played to not lose but finally in the 4th quarter we decided to play to actually put points on the board.

2. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Clemens = Man
    Chad = Boy

Clemens VS. Bal - 0 & 1

Chad VS. Bal - NEVER TRIED...PUSSY.

3. NYJNYRNYM

NYJNYRNYM New Member

man what a heartbreaker at the end of the game! freakin mccareins.
    so im a longtime reader/first time poster so feel free to bash away, but heres my 2cents.

with chad in there and a suspect o-line and d-line i figured this team would be a 7, maybe 8 win team this year. clemens showed me 2 things tonight...he can take a hit and hold on to the ball, and when given some time, he could establish a great rapport with cotch and coles. i think if chad started this game, he wouldve gotten KILLED/really hurt by some of those sacks (i.e. the blindsided sack KC took).

i personally think clemens will be a very good starter in this league and he miiiiiight give us a better shot to win now than pennington..maybe...but at what expense?? i dont want his body to take a beating week in and week out

but i think if chad is healthy he should remain the starter for the season...see if he has any magic left afterall (remember i originally went into the season expecting 7 wins or so). i think if we keep clemens in there this season, it would be a great learning experience sure, but he would also get roughed up big time with this o-line. (off on a tangent i really feel bad for TJ too, poor guy)

so i think if chad is hurt, absolutely keep kellen in there. otherwise i say let him have one more season of learning/watching under his belt, spend some quality picks on o-line/d-line next year, pick up a couple quality free agents, and start him next year for sure (barring some miraculous season by chad)

thats it! bash away :)
    (it was pretty sweet to see a jet qb throw downfield with some zip again though i musst admit)

4. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I can't see how anyone can saw that. He was SUPERIOR in the fourth quarter against a great defense. And by superior I meant not only to CHad but on the scale of NFL QBs. He SHOULD be the Jet QB the rest of the year. It is why Chad tried so hard to start. He knew the skills and ability that Kellen has and is rightly afraid of him starting.

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

possibly but i agree with the new guy, KC should avoid starting for 2-3 more games, till our OL stops sucking, and we stop playing top defenses, But if CP is hurt, he needs to play and if he plays well again, he probably needs to take over. I also agree, that when Chad saw Clemens, 4th quarter he saw his job slip away.

6. rbreitkopf

rbreitkopf New Member

GeorgiaJet

I listened to the game on Sirius but didn't get to see any of it. How much did they make designed roll-out plays with Clemens? I would think with his mobility it would make sense to design a few plays where he leaves the pocket. How much improvising did he appear to do when scrambling?

7. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

He looked pretty good while scrambling...one play he looked like the rookie that he is, he kept running to the sideline with a guy on his tail looking to find someone and nearly threw a pick when he had 10 seconds to just get rid of the ball.

Besides that, there was one play where he avoided the sack and stepped up and shovel passed, a sort of ad-lib play and it went for 20 yards to Jones. In the 4th quarter, he stopped just staying back like he had been doing all game and actually stepped up into the pocket, where there was no one. Early in the game he had just been standing there and guys were bull rushing around the corners and getting to him.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Give it another week and see. If Clemens plays well enough, and the FO is secure with Chad's trade value as it stands, Clemens should be the starter. I love CP, but I stand by my assertion that this team was not built for him. He's done exceptionally well in a situation that hasn't fit him for a few seasons.