Everett May Walk Again in Weeks

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Pam, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

No, I have never played football before. Unless the time I spent on the field with my friends that are in the CFL counts.....

He got popped in the face, it looked like he got knocked out. There was no spinal compression, he didn't get hit on the top of his head, he got hit in the face.

2. rillo

rillo New Member

Damn...this is bad news...get well soon!

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol nah i wasnt trying to be a dick im just saying Ive played and to me it looked bad.

the thing is Tuds it was helmet to helmet and the impact in his face was so hard it cause his upper half to bend back. let alone bend back in a manner the body wasnt made to.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Terrible news. At least he's showing some early signs of movement. That's a good sign. One of my teammates in high school suffered severe brain damage as the result of a shot he took that impacted an unknown pre-existing condition. He'll never live alone. My junior year of college, we played Washington in a home game in nasty rain. The Washington safety was paralyzed, injuring his spinal cord between the C1 and C2 vertebrae. Helmet to helmet shot. He was gone in 2 years. I'm glad to hear Everett's injury wasn't quite so bad, but it's still a horrible tragedy. It's a dangerous game.

5. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Bills' Everett to spend one to two days under sedation
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 10, 2007, 12:57 PM ET
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012739

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett will spend one to two days under sedation as doctors evaluate the extent of a severe spinal injury that could leave him paralyzed.

Everett is in the intensive care unit at Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital after a four-hour operation performed hours after he was hurt in a season-opening loss to Denver, Eric Armstead, a partner of the player's agent Brian Overstreet, told The Associated Press on Monday.

"He'll be sedated for the next 24 to 48 hours and we won't know more until then," Armstead said. "We were told by the doctors that the surgery went well."

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, doctors in Buffalo have told members of the Bills that bone chips were removed during surgery.

Everett's family members, including mother Patricia Dugas, were to arrive in Buffalo on Monday from their Houston home, Armstead said.

Overstreet told the AP late Sunday that his client had some "sparse movement."

"The next couple of days is going to be critical," said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. "Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again."

The team doctor, John Marzo, is expected to provide a medical update in the afternoon.

Bills general manager Marv Levy on Sunday night said doctors informed the team that it's too early to determine the severity of the injury and they will know more after monitoring the player overnight.

"Certainly, we feel the injury is serious, but I don't want to speculate, and that's what the doctors told us," Levy said. "They told us to wait to hear from them before making any speculative announcement."

Everett sustained what the team called a cervical spine injury when he ducked his head while driving in to tackle Denver's Domenik Hixon during the second half-opening kickoff. Everett dropped face first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Replays showed the player twitching for a few seconds as he attempted to get up before falling back to the ground. Everett had his eyes open but showed no further signs of movement during the next 15 minutes as the team's medical staff and emergency personnel carefully placed him on a backboard and, with the player's head and body immobilized, loaded him into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The injury recalled the one to Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard who was paralyzed below the chest. He injured his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley told the AP. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

The 41-year-old Utley now lives in Washington state and is promoting a bike tour aimed at raising money in an effort to cure paralysis.

"These are big strong men competing at the highest level. You can do everything to prepare yourself -- lift weights and all that," Utley said. "But is it going to happen again? Yes."

My prayers are with him and his family.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

A 4:30 PM Eastern Time press conference is scheduled to be aired on ESPN News.

I really hope he is not paralyzed.

7. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

anyone see it?

8. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Man that really really sucks

All my prayers are with him right now :sad:

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Edit:

Dr. Cappuccino just said as of this morning, Kevin was had movement from his quadriceps down to the muscles that allow the foot to push down (meaning down his legs).

If I heard correctly, he had just said the chances of Evertt walking were very small.

#29 macbk, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  10. browningnagle8

browningnagle8 New Member

Kevin Everrett Dr.'s not optimistic on full recovery

makes you realize what we are bitchin about so insignificant....
    yes we had a bad week and trust me i am a huge huge fan of our beloved team... but say a prayer for him and his family ... does not sound good at all...

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Terrible news, but belongs in the NFL section.

12. browningnagle8

browningnagle8 New Member

sorry my bad...

13. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

just saw the story on espn, he's gonna be heavily sedated for the next 48-72 hours. He was able to speak, but doctor feels he isnt out of the clear yet, and could still actually pass away from the injury.

14. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I think they said he had about a 5 - 10% of recovering fully... I really hope he pulls through.

15. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Just the latest via PFT

POSTED 6:22 p.m. EDT, September 10, 2007

EVERETT LIKELY WILL BE PARALYZED

The AP reports that Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered a "catastrophic" neck injury on Sunday. The injury also is described as "life-threatening."

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. . . . A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal."

Although Everett has had successful surgery to remove bone chips resulting from fractures of the third and fourth vertebrates in Everett's neck, he remains at risk for blood clots, infections, and breathing failure.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Everett has been placed on the Bills' injured reserve list. But Everett's playing status is just a footnote at this point; the injury is a reminder of how dangerous the game of football can be, at every level.

16. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

some things are way more important then football, my thoughts and prayers to him and his family

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's really sad news.... I remember a few U fans calling for us to draft him a few years ago but that being said it's a sad day when any player gets seriously hurt. I was at the Dennis Byrd and almost 15 years later it really sticks with me. Best wishes to Kevin and his family.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man, that is really terrible. I hope they're wrong about his prognosis for recovery. Being a professional football player requires these guys to be able to work extremely hard to recover from injury, a lot of players beat the odds for recovery because of this, and I hope that's the case for Everett.

19. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Man, the hit was bad. All the force of it was on the spine...

20. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah it looked pretty bad. Football players shouldn't just fall face first to the ground like a sack of potatoes after hitting a player like he did.. you could tell there was something wrong.