QB controversy brewing? or the media overracting

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rod_2, Aug 26, 2007.

1. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

How can u people say this was chads fault???? The line was outplayed on almost every play and chad didnt have a chance.........

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

There is a reason that the nfl does not keep track of preseason stats.. Because everything that happens in the preseason does not matter! Chad could throw 10 picks and I still would count on him completing 60-65% of his passes, while throw 15-20 TD's... Clemens is nowhere near Chads ability. I just dont understand some of you...

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

How can you be so sure?

4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

i love how everytime chad screws up its because of our o-line

"yeah well if defenders would stop covering our receivers and if the linebackers would stop attempting to sack chad, THEN he could really explode! you'll see!!!"

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Clemens has played against 2nd and 3rd string teams and some here are already crowning his ass. Freakin ridiculous. He hasn't done shit!! Chad is an acomplished QB and until he loses his job in the regular season,he is the QB. Can the conversation please shut the fuck up now....for good.

6. Floydian

Floydian Banned

I can't believe we're all still having the same argument about Chad.

The funniest part about this discussion are the Chad supporters who attack the fans down on Chad by saying that this is only preseason and that he only had a few bad games so far and that it's too early to throw in the towel on Chad.

Ummmm...that argument would fly if Chad was a rookie and we were all just getting a first look at him.

Look, Chad's a great guy and under the right circumstances he'll lead a team to a 10 or 11 win season and maybe even a few playoff wins. Unfortunately with Chad as your QB everyone else needs to be STELLAR if you WANT TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL!!!!

With a QB who averages less than 10 yards per completion, EVERY down is crucial and if one play goes bad, the entire drive is over.

Yes, based on the QB's on the roster we must go with Chad. He's our best option. But, does that mean that I, as a fan, who has never seen my team win a Championship in over 25 years of following them, should be attacked with condescending sarcasm and called reactionary by other fans who tell me to be patient? I think not.

This post was much longer than intended and there might be parts which don't make complete sense because I didn't feel like going into extreme detail about point...but...LET ME BOTTOM LINE IT FOR EVERYONE:

Chad Pennington will not lead this team to a Super Bowl. He's not good enough, he'll never be good enough and based on the way this franchise has been run top down for decades, the team around him will never be good enough. We'll continue to argue over mediocre talent, clinging to the hope that some marginal all-star (Vilma as an example) will lead us to the promised land and the fans with an abundance of misplaced patience will continue to mock those who are fed up with mediocrity.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

First, we all want Clemens to be the next great NFL QB. We can all agree on that. But who really knows what we have in him?

Second, Pennington gets unfairly denigrated on this board. He has won 60% of his starts, led the team to three playoff appearances and won 2 playoff games. All of those accomplishments are Jet records for a QB. That is hardly mediocre. And he has done all that with less than stellar talent around him. Where are the Jet Pro Bowl players since 2002? During those 5 years, the defense has been ok in some years and bad in others. He got one strong year from Martin (2004) and some OK years and then had last year's RB disaster. Besides Mawae, he has played behind a patchwork OL. His best WRs are maybe top 20 in the NFL, but my no means elite. Yet it all falls on him when the Jets don't win the SB.

The last few QBs to win the SB are:

Warner
    Dilfer
    Brady (3)
    B. Johnson
    Rothlesberger
    Manning

Other than Brady and Manning (and let's not forget how much Brady has grown since 2001), which of those QBs seemed destined to lead their teams to a Super Bowl? Pennington is better than some QBs on that list.

Only a handful of current NFL QBs have won a Super Bowl. Are all the rest bums? Jim Kelly and Dan Marino never won one. What about them? It's just not that simple a game that the QB becomes a panacea for all that ills a team.

Mediocrity is 8-8. When healthy, the Jets have been 9-7, 10-6 and 10-6 behind Pennington. They have been in the mix when nobody expected it. Did anyone predict a playoff appearance for the Jets in 2002, 2004 and 2006??? Nope. Until Pennington falters and has a bad year - and by bad I mean more picks than TDs and a QB rating in the 70s or low 80s and the Jets win less than 8 games with him as a starter, he deserves to play.

8. Floydian

Floydian Banned

LOL!!!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

You cite Pennington's status as all-time Jet QB. Agreed. But, what does that really mean? Last I looked the Jets were a laughing stock franchise up until Parcells. Since then we've been middle of the pack (which in my opinion euquals mediocrity). For you to think this is anything other than mediocre goes to show how starved Jet fans are for true greatness.

Then, you somehow manage to twist my words and imply that I called Pennington a bum, which I didn't.

In addition, you mention all the other mediocre players that management has surrounded Chad with. Yes, they're mediocre also and didn't provide Chad with a lot of needed support at times. If we had a thread about Curtis Martin's poor performances or the receiving core and its lack of skills I'd comment. However, this is a thread about Chad.

But whatever...keep drinking the kool-aid and keep being happy with 10-6 seasons and endless playoff road losses (that's in a good year).

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Joe Montana had to leave SF for one reason, the guy behind him was better. They were a playoff team with him and after successfully rehabing an injury they went with the other guy simply because he was better at that point. Vinny took the Jets to a 12 &4, 9 & 7 and 10 & 6 records when he started and Chad took over when he was better than Vinny.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

So I take it you think that Dilfer and Brad Johnson were good enough to win SBs but Pennington isn't??? LOL!!!

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Do you know that Dilfer went to the pro bowl once and Johnson 2. Dilfer had a much better arm than Penny and I don't think Johnson had two shoulder surgeries prior to his SB year? By the way both of them were dumped very soon after having bigger winning seasons than Penny.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is factual up until the beginning of 2006. Now we're in the question again. 2006 says new Jets, good prospects. 2007 says same old Jets, poor prospects. 2008 is going to be the tiebreaker and I'm still cautiously optimistic. I hear everything you're saying though. They don't hand out Lombardi Trophies for just showing up and getting lucky. Not ever.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You guys are just silly.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Here we go with the arm strength thing again. When the Super Bowl is determined by the team whose QB has the strongest arm, then arm strength will matter as much as many of you say it does. When that happens, I'll take Jeff George. But since the game is complicated and championships are based on overall team play, which includes defense, a running game, special teams, coaching besides QB play, I'll pass on George and cast my lot with the better QB and the better team. The Jets are trying to build something. I'd lke to give this regime time to build it. If Clemens is the better QB, he should play if and when that time comes, whether that is in a year or two or by October of this season. I am not going to base my opinion as to who should play on meaningless preseason games and neither is the the coaching staff.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's part of the Dilfer argument that makes me laugh, Dilfer's arm was 5 times the arm Pennington had when he was drafted, before 2 shoulder cuff tears. Dilfer's problem wasn't a weak arm, it was decision making and pocket presence... so they used high-percentage routes (like slants, which he could complete effectively) with players like Ben Coates and Shannon Sharpe. However, he didn't have the weapons at wideout that Chad has. He had Qadry Ismael and Travis Taylor, two #3 wideouts playing 1 and 2. If Dilfer had had guys like Cotch and Coles who were able to adjust to bad catches and move the chains better for him, I don't think he would have been thought of as such a bad QB during that Super Bowl run.

The argument for people who will unconditionally support Chad is that he doesn't have the right personnel around him to win the big one. I'd think that a team that is rebuilding would seek to find a team leader that could carry the team around him, not the opposite.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Checking facts.

#56 Br4d, Aug 26, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  17. Variety

Variety New Member

It's not about "who's got the strongest arm?". We all know Chad's arm is weak as shit. Right now it's like having a one legged cornerback out there who runs a 6.0 40yd dash but because of his knowledge of the game we can't bench him. We can't win the superbowl with a QB who can only connect short slants and screen passes.

18. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

isn't that exactly what he did last year? 16 picks and 17 interceptions!!! so by your own words and standards, it's time!!!!!!

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

does that mean he had 33 ints last year?

20. Floydian

Floydian Banned

DILFER DILFER DILFER DILFER....

SHUT THE HELL UP MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as Chad has the Ravens Super Bowl winning Defense playing for him then we can make this comparison.

Seriously, I don't want to flip out, but your stupid comparison is just idiotic.

No...you don't have to have an all-time QB to win a SB...BUT if you don't YOU NEED A MASSIVE DEFENSE.

God...I'm so tired of you retards...I'm done...I tried...