Abe update:thought you guys would be interested

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by atlantafan1987, Mar 19, 2006.

1. atlantafan1987

atlantafan1987 New Member

Abraham caught in trade triangle
    DE wants to play for Falcons, but Jets agree to Seahawks deal

By STEVE WYCHE
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 03/20/06
    Defensive end John Abraham is intent on playing for the Falcons, his agent, Tony Agnone, confirmed Sunday. The contract agreement he reached Friday with Atlanta and his word are his bond.

But Abraham might not have the final say.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
    Norcross man shot at S.C. frat party
    Lifestyles of the rich and guilty
    Frenchy returns with a bang
    Falcons get Milloy, seek Abraham
    Drowning victim identified as Lawrenceville teen | Cop briefs

EMAIL THIS
    PRINT THIS
    MOST POPULAR

The New York Jets, who own the three-time Pro Bowl selection's rights, have thwarted Abraham's relocation by treating the Falcons' trade offer of a second-round draft pick as insufficient. Instead, the Jets have agreed to trade him to the Seattle Seahawks for a first-round draft choice, and that decision has left Abraham "not happy," according to Agnone.

In a brief e-mail to the Journal-Constitution, Agnone said there had been no developments in the saga over the weekend. He added that there have been no new contract talks between Abraham and the Seahawks, and that Abraham is intent on suiting up for the Falcons.

Atlanta officials said they would not stop their pursuit of Abraham, who has 53 1/2 career sacks and would bolster a defensive line in dire need of a pass-rushing end from the right side. Whether that means they'll have to sweeten their offer to the Jets remains to be seen.

The remarks from Abraham's agent were the first since his

client was placed in football purgatory Friday afternoon.

The tricky part of this scenario is that for any trade to be consummated, Abraham must come to contract terms with the team for which he would play. At the same time, the Jets have the right to get the best compensation possible, which Seattle has offered ? 31st overall selection in the April 29-30 draft. The Falcons' second-rounder is the 47th pick overall.

The sign-and-trade stipulation is a result of the Jets designating Abraham, a free agent, their "franchise player," which means they hold his rights for a season unless he's traded.

New York, which is shifting to a 3-4 scheme that would make Abraham an awkward fit, does not have to trade Abraham and could make him play under a one-year contract worth $8.3 million.

Though things were quiet over the weekend, the Falcons confirm talks are expected to resume as soon as today.

2. alwaysbeenajetsfan

alwaysbeenajetsfan New Member

what I don't understand, is If the Falcons are intent on getting him, then give us your 1st rd. pick. If there willing to give him some 15 million in guranteed money then invest a pick that will get you the player. The contract they've offered him shows they think his worth 1st round material, but they don't wanna pony up. If the jets want him to go to Seattle, he will go to Seattle.

3. Jserr4802

Jserr4802 New Member

I like that we are not folding on our demands, 1st rounder or forget it!!

4. atlantafan1987

why give up the 15th overall pick when your front office has made it clear that the 31st overall pick is sufficient compensation??? A 2nd and 3rd wouldnt be a bad deal.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Falcons would do that if they really want Abraham.

6. Keeping It Real

Keeping It Real New Member

IDOIT-If he doesn't sign then they can't trade him. Period. So as I've said before, I will say again, we'd better be prepared to have on the team next year.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Our front office hasn't made anything clear our front office doesn't talk.

8. atlantafan1987

they agreed to a deal with seattle for the 31st pick...I think that makes things perfectly clear if you ask me.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

who says it's only the 31st pick?
    you gave buffalo a 1st round pick for peerless 'worthless' price!!!!!

and you think you can get a pro-bowl pass-rush de for a 2nd???:rofl: :rofl2:

come up with the 15th pick in round one, or shop elsewhere.:wink:

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Abraham is what you hope a player becomes when you draft a top 10 pick. So,anything less is stupid imo. To hell with all of this,with our cap room,i would have re-signed him.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Why take a chance on a rookie Defensive End at #15 when you could get a 27 year old, 3 time Pro Bowl DE who has had double digit sack totals in four of his six seasons? I have to be completley honest, if I was a Falcons fan, I wouldn't be upset if the Atlanta Front Office gave up their 1st round pick for a guy like this.

12. Titans

Titans Member

U can chill with the childish little boy name calling u have an opinion and so do other posters we cannot get ripped off is that so hard to understand you act as if a 10 sack DE terror is such a bad thing to have back next season.

13. 4-12 Forever

4-12 Forever New Member

I would say screw everyone. Let Abraham sit out the year if he doesn't want to play here. Don't settle for the 31st pick, that's weak.

My bet is Atl will fork over the #15 pick by April 29 if we stick to our guns

14. I'm willing to bet within the next 3 days the Falcons cave and give us # 15. Their biggest need hading into the draft is at RE. Abe is better than any other DE that will be available at 15, so they might as well just give up the pick before Abe talks contract w/ Seattle.

15. atlantafan1987

I never said we could get abraham for JUST a 2nd round pick. But I still believe a deal can be worked out which can be good for both sides WITHOUT giving up the 15th overall pick. According to every news report, seattle is ONLY offering the 31st overall pick and your front office is happy with that deal otherwise they wouldnt have agreed with seattle on a trade. BTW, the peerless price trade was awful and our last GM got fired because of the move.

16. JetFanInPA

Yes but don't you see... The FO might be somewhat satisfied with Seattle's offer, but if your Front Office can't come up with a better offer, he could be on his way to Seattle. Think of it like an auction. :)

17. atlantafan1987

we only have to offer something equal to the 31st overall pick for the jets front office to sign off on it.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You don't understand the Jets' situation or negotiations. The Jets are happier with Seattle's offer than Atlanta's. Abraham is a Jet. Neither he nor the Falcons have the ability to dictate where he goes and what the Jets get in return. The Jets want a first round pick for Abraham for a reason. A 2nd is not getting it doen. Neither does it appear that a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and whatever will get it done.

Besides, if the Jets have decided that the 31st pick is sufficient, why in the world would they be willing to drop 16 more spots just so Abraham can be closer to his mommie???? It's not happening. Either Atlanta offers the 15th pick, Abraham decides Seattle is not so bad, or Abraham will be a Jet for another year. Those are doors #1,2, and 3 and there isn't a 4th door. The Jets, it appears, are willing to wait. Good luck.

19. JetFanInPA

Okay, but a mid 2nd round pick doesn't equal a late first round pick.

20. What I dont understand is why you guys are so insistent upon keeping that pick.

1. Your guys biggest need heading into April is a pass rushing RE. Abraham is clearly better than any DE that will be available at # 15. Theoretically speaking, you could be "drafting" Abe w/ the 15th pick.

2. Historically players at Abe position/stature command a first round pick and often times more. Obviously, you guys wanna keep the pick to fill another need like the OL, but you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Fill your team's biggest need w/ the 1st rounder and prepare to fill other holes in the 2nd round and beyond. Anything else is just being unreasonable and will not happen w/ this Jets FO in place.