Jets interested in Culpepper?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by F Miami, Jul 23, 2007.

1. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Didn't see it posted:

Daunte Culpepper is reportedly asking for "starter's money" as a free agent.
    He won't get that. Culpepper will certainly have to lower his asking price to catch on with a club as a backup prior to training camp. The Ravens, Bucs, Jaguars, and Jets are all believed to be showing interest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1227

2. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

Please lease please please please perform like you did when you had Moss.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hmm...we have 3 QB's on the roster and one of them is the rookie heir apparent , a guy on the roster who could play QB if were desperate, and Culppepper wants starter money. How the hell does this make sense?

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If the Jets are interested (which I highly doubt) then that means Clemens is on his way out (which I don't so highly doubt).

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just more offseason media filler.... Ignore the BS and wait for TC to start. :up:

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

If Mangini truly believe is open competition, than why wouldn't you bring Culpepper IF the price is right? The Jets wouldn't give him starter money and he would be an upgrade to the back-up QB spot.

You can't say that there is open competition and than not have it for the most important spot on the field.

All that being said, I would be surprised if the Jets signed him.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why? Clemens hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do yet. The man is going into his second year and has barely seen the field.

8. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

To quote Joe Benigno...

"That's a load of hogwash."

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It would send up red flags. One, there are teams that are in worse shape at the QB position then we are. Culpepper is available, why would they pass on him. Two, we have a starter in his second year in the system, and a second year guy that was drafted to be the next starter. Bringing in Culpepper would be like the CS stating that they have no confidence in either.

10. Don

He had a few mop up chances last year and he looked like a scared chicken running around. When Pennington had those chances backing up Testaverde he always looked poised. Just an opinion but I don't see Clemens ever being the Jets future QB. He will get more then his share of chances in the preseason this year. Let's see what he looks like now.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

I think he was in the game for 2 pass plays, the rest were runs. Chad didn't come in to mop up for Vinnie in his rookie season (did he?) either although he was a hell of a cheerleader as the 3rd string QB.

I see a lot of people hating on Clemens and I really feel that it's unfair cause the guy really hasn't had a shot to show what he has yet.

edit: I'm wrong - he did have 5 pass attempts his rookie season.

#11 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

If the team can improve by having him on the roster and the money is right, i don't see how bringing him in would be bad. The guy isn't a bad team guy.

I think it is simple. If Chad goes down, who would you rather trot out:
    1) Clemens
    2) Tuiasosopo
    3) Culpepper

(Again, I would still be surprised if he became a Jet)

13. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Right now? Clemens...

No one's sure at this point if Culpepper can even play this year...

14. shaba_99

shaba_99 New Member

I think I would vomit if we picked this clown up. OMG is he bad and always has been.

I apologize but he's horrible

15. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Bring him into camp and dont guarantee him anything?

16. Don

hmmm..he wasn't bad when he was throwing to Moss..didn't he make all pro a few years then. Of course we could have had Moss but that's another topic for another day.

17. TheSkyHadABaby

Where are you coming from with this? Clemens may not have impressed as much as people/TanGini had hoped, but it's year two. The guy was in for a handful of plays and that's about it. I'll wait until the end of training camp to pass judgment on him. If the price was right I'd sign Culpepper.

#17 TheSkyHadABaby, Jul 23, 2007
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don't see that happening. If he's looking for starter money why would he come to the Jets when they wouldn't guarantee him anything? If thats the best deal he can get then there's something seriously wrong. I'd rather see the Jets avoid that headache all together.

19. Don

Where am I coming from? I'm coming from the same viewpoint that nfl coaches have. They decide in the first two years if somebody will be the qb of the future. Parcells decided that with Pennington in year one. I don't think anybody on the jets currently thinks that about Clemens for whatever reason. There was even some talk of the Jets taking Brady Quinn this year if they couldn't get who they wanted..or so they say.
    Personally, I don't think he's tall enough to ever be a qb in this league. They list him at 6'2" and Pennington at 6'3" but when they are standing side by side there is no way they look 1 inch different. So one of those are wrong.

#19 Don, Jul 23, 2007
  20. WhiteShoeWillis

The difference is NFL coaches spend a good portion of their lives teaching and evaluating the QB's. Unless you have some inside contacts or information, you really have no way of knowing how he is progressing or what the coaching staff thinks about his progress. Unless you have some inside information you are basing your opinion on a handful of plays in garbage time.

Please tell us how you're "coming from the same viewpoint" as an NFL coach?

edit: Just so you know, I really have no opinion one way or another on Clemens yet.