Since Mets fans are "real Fans"..

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by GreenMachine, May 11, 2007.

1. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

For me personally, i dont give two shits about the yankees... I've been a Mets fan my whole life, but growing up i loved Paul O'Neil and Bernie Williams, shit, i even had[still have] tickets to the 1996 WS game 7 that never got played. Now i meet fans who claim to be Diehard Yankee fans their whole life but i don't think any of them can name a yankee player pre-1996. Its the particular fans that make me want to punch a wall. And its only the fans that like to think they are gods gift to mankind.

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Well my family up north has to deal with that, I go to NY one-two weeks a year.

But when I do move back in a few years, lowered taxes would not make me root for the Mets...I'm sorry.

3. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

I will say this to adnauseum. The Yankees have a GREAT tradition. But when it comes to comparing today's teams and recent teams, I don't see how or why 26 championships comes to mean something today.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I agree with you basically 100%. The only time i ever rooted for the yankees in the playoffs was in 1996, simply because i hate the braves more then any team in baseball.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I rooted for the Giants in the Super Bowl too. It's still NY. There's no reason for animosity, which is why I find it so hard to understand all the obsession with the Yankees from particular Mets fans.

Like I said, for March through September, I don't give a crap what the Mets do. I would like to see them in the WS, especially against the Yankees. The Subway Series was awesome. This city goes bezerk when our teams are in championships. It's fun, nothing more, nothing less.

I guess I can be considered lame. I rooted for the Mets to beat the Cards. Ah well.

6. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

The same thing can be said for all-year round, though. The Yankees are the other NY team. If I didn't know any Yankee fans, I wouldn't really pay attention to them at all. But it's the competitive nature. I'll admit that I don't wish to see the Yankees lose, but I don't want them to win either. It's the competitive nature amongst fan bases that makes me not root for them. It all depends on who they're playing, or who's playing in the games, etc. For example, if they were to play the SF Giants in the regular season for whatever reason, I'd root for the Yankees because of my hatred towards Barry Bonds. When they play against the Texas Rangers, I'd prefer to see them win because I don't care for Sammy Sosa. However, if they play the D-Rays, I'd like to see them win, for underdog reasons, and because I enjoy their stadium.

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'll admit that it gets annoying when Yankees fans do say it as a weak comeback, "26 World Series."

I rarely say that because I didn't see all 26, I saw 4, and I will mention those since I actually saw them, and that team was a Dynasty.

The other great teams I didn't see, so i'm not gonna elaborate on them as if I know everything, now I read about the history and gather more information on those great teams, but it'd be pretty stupid to use it in an argument.

I started watching this team in 1994 and my favorite was Danny Tartabull, yes, more than Donnie baseball. And I still have my Mike Gallego baseball card posted up on my desk.

8. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

So would I. The Mets losing is the worst possible outcome for me.

9. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

I hate the Yankees and root against them often, but that would be the case weather I was a Met fan or a Giants fan or whatever. I hate the Yankees because I think George Steinbrenner may just be the Anti-Christ (do you capitalize that?). Beyond hating George, which is a major component, the Yankees think that they should win because their the Yankees. I hate that. Add to that the fact that they treat signing players like buying groceries, and they, really, really suck.

Besides, and I've never got this, what's the fun in rooting for the favorite? Have you ever seen a sports movie where the protagonists made more money than everyone else, and were rarely underdogs?

And yes, I realize the Mets have a high payroll, but it's not out of this world like the Yankees.

10. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Alio alio alio...ROOTED for the Giants? Ugh man thats a backwards "K."

The Giants are the most heavily hated NY team for me...I don't hate the Nets, Mets, or Devils, but i'll never root for them...But the Giants? Aw man that's a blow, that's one team I cannot stand and was laughing my ass off when Baltimore ripped them badly in the Superbowl, and how bad they are now with a deadbeat coach and incoherent QB...

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, because the Mets owner would rather pocket the money then put it back into the team. You lose the whole point on why Yankees fans generally like Steinbrenner. Not when he's meddling but how he wants to win and spend whatever it takes to do so.

12. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Tropicana is a total DUMP.

And I have no problem with your reasons on why you root, or root against the Yankees, it doesn't bother me and it never will.

The Mets are the other NY team:up:

13. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

It was fun earlier.

Now it's frustrating, very frustrating. The "favorite" hasn't won in 7 years, 7!! That's way too damn long for Yankees and Yankees fans I have been continually disgusted with the way this team performs in the postseason ever since the Luis bloop.

They underachieve, and have been losers since beating the Mets...

And if you notice, the fans are still around, I bet their have been some who jumped ship because of course their are bandwagoners ...But once and if the Yanks win a WS, it'll be nothing but "Oh yeah, you 96ers are hilarious."

It's little petty stuff that I just laugh at.

14. NYJets317

NYJets317 New Member

wow you have been waiting 7 years. I've been waiting 24 years and all I've got is 1 world series game victory.

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I visited Tropicana in March for the Mets' last spring training game and thought it was great. I'm probably flying back down in mid-July to see the 4-game series against the Yankees with my friends.

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Had you been spoiled with the constant winning of taking 4 World Series in 5 years, you'd be complaining at how this team has been total letdowns ever since that Dynasty.

I'm just not a fan of dome stadiums, it just does not feel like a baseball game when i'm there...

I like the weather elements, hot or cold, rain , whatever...

17. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

What do people consider a "96er"? Take me for example, I am 18 years old and grew up my whole life in this area. I have always loved baseball and naturally wanted to watch it. The first team that I really watched and went to games were the Yankees and I grew up a fan. Does that make me a "96er" or does that term only apply to people who jumped on the bandwagon in 96. I have seen that term thrown out a lot and I was just wondering what it really meant.

18. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

This is a good point; Steinbrenner cares a lot about the Yankees. But you yourself miss the whole point on why I hate the Yankees and Steinbrenner. What has Steinbrenner done that made you say to yourself, "wow, he's not a total asshole." He just seems like a bad guy. He runs the Yankees with a sense of entitlement, as if, because their the Yankees, they're awesome. And everyone should love them. He's just arrogant; this is evidenced by his policy of not only singing God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch, but not allowing anyone to leave during it (I don't want this to become an arguement about patriotism, so don't pursue that angle). What about atheists? Are they supposed to love the song too? Why not America the Beautiful? Or hey, just Take Me Out to the Ballgame?

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

My father was a Jets and Giants fan. He loved both teams equally. I gravitated more towards the Jets, but I have no ill will whatsoever against the Giants.

Keep in mind, the first time I rooted for the Giants was against John Elway, who snubbed the Yankees, plus, that Super Bowl was on my father's birthday, so he got the best gift possible.

Then they beat the Jills, and anytime any team outside our division beats one of our rivals, I am happy.

I knew they'd lose to the Ravens. So that was just a whatever game.

I just grew up not hating any of the NY teams. Just the way I was raised, sports-wise.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't consider you a 96er.

I use the term 96er to describe people who are old enough to have watched the Yankees struggle through the 80s, while the Mets were beating the Sox in the World Series, and guys like Donnie Baseball and Dave Winfield were busting their asses trying to win, but didn't give a rat's ass about the team until they won a title.

96ers are people who think Tino Martinez is the best first baseman to ever play in Yankee Stadium.

96ers are people my age who don't recognize the name Bobby Meacham, or who don't remember the "fake trade" where the Yankees wound up with Steve Sax and the Dodgers wound up with Willie Randolph. (It wasn't an actual trade, but both 2Bs wound up with each other's team through FA.)

96ers are old enough, but have no idea that Andy Hawkins once threw a no hitter and lost. They also don't remember Steve Howe being a total cokehead, yet got more second chances than Ricky Williams.

96ers are the jackasses who sit in the box seats in their pink Polo shirts or friggin' three-piece-suits in August, just because they can.

A 96er is the kind of person shade was talking about. A total bandwagoner, who is only a fan because the team wins a lot of games.