Unconfirmed: John Abraham Traded to Atlanta (Schaub NOT Included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Mar 17, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Jets | Still trying to complete an Abraham deal
    Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:39:16 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons are still trying to come up with the right formula for a trade that would bring Jets' franchise free agent DE John Abraham to Atlanta. Abraham was expected to undergo a physical examination Friday morning, March 17, for the Falcons. It is believed that the Falcons are attempting to ascertain Abraham's financial expectations, which are said to include between $15 million and $18 million in guarantees, on a long-term contract. The Falcons must also agree on a trade package which satisfies the Jets, and Atlanta's steadfast reluctance to part with backup QB Matt Schaub has made that a difficult proposition. There are unsubstantiated rumors that Abraham would prefer to play in Atlanta, because of its proximity to his native South Carolina.

2. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

This makes absolutely no sense to me... Why is Atlanta going to give us all

these picks when they have Schuab who's on his last year of his contract

and I guarantee will no be able to resign . I will have to wait and see what is

up cause this just sounds like a whole bunch of BS to me at this time.

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

cause auther blanks loves schaub. probably even more than vick.. which could male thing intresting. next year you could proably see another high profile traded if vick has another down year. there also 98% sure vick will miss a few games like every season and schaub can come in and win.

4. AlToon

AlToon Member

Top Falcons officials met and dined with New York Jets defensive end John Abraham in Atlanta Thursday, trying to work out contract terms to acquire the three-time Pro Bowler, team officials confirmed.

Abraham, who has 53 1/2 sacks in his six-year career, and the Falcons must first agree on a contract then arrange a trade with the Jets. New York put the franchise tag on Abraham, meaning he can't sign with another team without the Jets receiving compensation. He could also play for New York under a new contract or on a one-year deal for an $8.3 million tender.

The Jets and Abraham have expressed their mutual desire to part ways.

New York wants Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub. Atlanta won't part with him. Draft picks might do, but the Falcons don't want to trade their first-round selection — the No. 15 overall pick

http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/epaper/editions/friday/sports_44a16682429430660011.html

#24 AlToon, Mar 17, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  5. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

What DO they want for crying out loud! They want Abe, but dont want to part with Schaub, and they dont want to part with a 1st round pick? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

6. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

that quote was from yesterday, altoon... this thread is more current. I'm hoping it works out this way, I'd rather have the picks than the qb.

7. Elvis

Elvis Member

This years first rounder from the Falcons or Schaub, its has got to be either one coupled with a draft pick from 07. Here we are giving up a premier player and teams want to undercut us. That is where I like our stance having the new regime complete this deal. It seems that they are not rushing into a foolish deal just to complete a deal.

8. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Option 1 blows option 2 out of the water. A guaranteed 2nd in 06 and first rounder in 07, or a first this year and a pick "as high as" a 3rd in 07? It's absolutely a no brainer.

Get the 2nd rounder this year, that'll give the Jets (counting then projected comp pick), 5 picks on the first day, and 7 in the first 4 rounds. That's more than enough to have a very good draft. You add a first next year, and we're already in perfect position to have a great one next year too, no matter where the Falcons pick ends up. We're already in a good position this year; make the move for the future.

9. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Either option is good enough.

10. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Yeah but the depth in this year's draft is not normal. The number 15 pick can bring some serious value.

11. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

agreed, does the job for me!

12. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Wow I hope this happens today, I like the 2nd this year and 1st next year. That way all the drafting QB talks can be put on hold until next year. If things don't work out with Chad or Ramsey we package up our 2 first round picks next year, move up, and select Brady Quinn. With the 2nd round pick this year, we patch yet another hole. Very nice if they can swing it.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I really hope this is true. I want to move forward on to other issues.

BTW, I am very OK with not getting Schaub.

Let's use the draft for our QB. I see no harm in it as we were definitely not going to the superbowl next year and at the very, very, very best, we may eek into the playoffs (I doubt it though). I want new raw QB blood on the team - the unknown is exciting; doesn't mean it will work out, but that's the chance you take.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Exactly, the depth is not normal. There are going to be some very, very talented players going into the 2nd round. The level of players we can get in Rd 2 this year and in the first next year will be much greater than at #15 along with at best a 3rd rounder in 07. When you look at the potential options at 15, unless a player like DeAngelo Williams falls, you have a lot of solid, but not phenomenal prospects. Guys like Winston Justice, Tamba Hali, Chad Greenway, all good, but not at the level that I'd give up a significant advantage in the future.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

2nd round picks are almost as important as 1s. They cost less and historically there are more busts in round 1.

16. 4-12 Forever

4-12 Forever New Member

hopefully as sick as he was against the raiders in the playoffs a few years ago...

17. FirstStateJetFan

FirstStateJetFan New Member

I agree with you 1,000% my friend......Even if the Jet's get a #1 pick next year from Atlanta I don't understand why everyone wants to use it in a package to trade up??? The team is not 1 or 2 players away from the Super Bowl.....this extra 1st rounder is just another piece to the puzzle.

18. Jets Fan from NE

This whole situation is silly. Abe is a TOP tier player. We MUST get a 1st this year for him (at minumum.) Schwab? Let him manage my portfolio, not a backup QB. Let's draft one for the future. If Penny ends up back in top shape we have trade material for next year. On the other hand just give Abe what he wants and KEEP him in NY. He is THAT GOOD. Yeah, I know this is the NFL, but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush (draft.)

19. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

I have a question...

What makes Abraham worth a frist round pick???...

He's extremely overrated in my opinion. I'm shocked anyone would be dumb enough to pony up a first rounder. Lunacy...

20. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Well, he has a gift. Teams pay a premium for players who could rush the passer the way he does.