Sporting News jets draft review

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Jets draft analysis

Pick-by-pick analysis of the team's selections in the 2007 NFL draft:

1 (14). Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt

War Room scouts' take: The first trade of the day was a big one, with Carolina getting a bundle of picks from the Jets, who were able to select the corner they coveted. Revis is a solid starting corner who will allow Eric Mangini's defense to be more versatile than last year. Generally considered the top athlete among the corners, Revis will need to work on his technique. Even so, the Jets won't hesitate to match Revis with any receiver in the league.

Vinnie Iyer's take: OK, there was uncertainty about who exactly was the top cornerback in this draft, with similar values from the middle of the first round to the middle of the second round, but the Jets are ultra-convinced Revis is No. 1. Of all the highly rated corners, I think Revis is the most ready to contribute and star in nickel packages. He also adds to their speedsters at the position, which include Andre Dyson and Justin Miller.

Rich Cimini's take: Cornerback was the team's top need, and Revis was tops on the board. He should fit well into Eric Mangini's scheme because he's physical and not afraid to support the run. He's tremendously smooth, with terrific hip flexibility. He might lack the long speed to cover vertical receivers. Revis should be able to leapfrog the depth chart at right cornerback -- if he can digest Mangini's complicated system. He's also a dangerous punt returner, another need.

2 (47). David Harris, ILB, Michigan

War Room scouts' take: The Jets' trade up to get Harris was another stellar move to add athleticism to the Jets' defense. He figures to become a great leader on this unit. He is physical at the point of attack and always seems to be around the ball.

Vinnie Iyer's take: Was there any doubt that Eric Mangini would go to work on his defensive back seven after shoring up his offensive line last season? With first-rounder Darrelle Revis to help the nickel package and Harris to help the run defense, it's been a solid Day 1 haul for the Jets so far. Watch out for this team, AFC.

Rich Cimini's take: Harris is a good fit in the 3-4 scheme. He is a strong between-the-tackles run stuffer and a classic north-south defender. He doesn't have outside speed, but that isn't critical in the Jets' system. He might be a two-down linebacker, which limits his value. Harris should eventually replace Eric Barton, who split time last season with Brad Kassell.

6 (177). Jacob Bender, OT, Nicholls State

Rich Cimini's take: He's a nice developmental prospect with decent upside. Bender was a four-year starter at left tackle, although his future appears to be on the right side, a possible down-the-road challenger to incumbent Anthony Clement. Bender opened some eyes last season against Nebraska DE Adam Carriker.

7 (235). Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson

Rich Cimini's take: Stuckey's stock dropped because of multiple foot injuries and a disappointing 40 time at the combine. Productive when healthy, he could help at the slot position. Stuckey could stick as a fifth receiver. He also returns punts.

2. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Now that the initial shock of only drafting 4 guys is gone, I can say i am extremely pleased with this team. Even if just one of the Dlineman we signed during the FA pans out, our defense will be much improved over last year. Getting Revis is a huge move for us. As it stands right now, hes the best corner on the team, and only will get better. We will all get to see just how good he can be week 1, when i presume he'll be lining up with Randy Moss. His skills at returning punts is another improvement over Tim Dwight, once mangini drills it into his head to cover the ball better, i think he can be great.. David Harris seems like hes the real deal, and since he will be working with one of the smartest linebackers in the game, i imagine he'll already be much improved by week 1. I wish i knew more about Jacob Bender, but from what i've read, there is nothing but talent inside him, if he can utilize his frame, and gym skills, he can be a potentially excellent pick. Not much to say on Stuckey, 7th round picks usually don't mean much, but hey, nothing wrong with an extra set of hands, especially when his 40 time from his pro day was leaps ahead of his combine time. I think its wrong to compare him to brad smith, he isn't going to be a decoy, but he could be fun to watch if he can keep his legs healthy... 7th round picks have nothing but upside.

Hold on Jets fans, this is going to be another interesting year in the AFC East. The patriots are stacked, the Bills made a few nice picks, and the dolphins.. well.. they have jason taylor.

Get pumped.

#2 vinsjets, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  3. wojo2024

wojo2024 New Member

No offense Jets fans, but I wouldn't take Sportingnews seriously..they gave the MIAMI DOLPHAGS an A+ for there Draft...

4. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Bundle of picks for Revis? Hardly...they moved up 11 spots in RD 1 by switching 1st rd picks, swapping 5th/6th rd picks and threw in the extra 2nd made possible by the Skins trade last year.

IF Revis is a shutdown counter (like they think) then this is a SMALL price to pay. Anyone see the price in salary and draft picks it costs to acquire a Champ Bailey or a Nate Clements??? A 2nd rd pick is nothing IF it pans out right.

5. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

6. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

And the reason "Legit" comentators are giving Miami high grades is becase they are right. Brady Quin was rated A LITTLE higher than the rest of the QB pack believe it or not. By picking a QB in the second round they got a QB rated close to Quin and a good pick in Gin. Quin was actually farther from J. Russle then he was from the rest of the pack of QBs.

Sporting News was right on imo. Nice job of Miami not letting the talking heads and glamour dictate their picks.

I also like their grades for the Jets and also for the Pats. I thought the Pats actually didnt draft very good either. I LOVE the Jets picks.