Jets fans questions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abdulsalaam, Apr 17, 2007.

1. abdulsalaam

abdulsalaam New Member

As I've mentioned in a few posts, I've been doing some work for the NFL. I'm working on a new "fan" questions, and would love your input:

If you're a JETS fan, and you live in the New York metropolitan area, what
    of the following do you go to get coverage of the Jets:

Local newspaper writers:

Local sports radio hosts:

Fan website(s):

Any other media connection points:

What rituals, memories, moments, places, people, things would you put in
    your "Top 10 Jets Pantheon?" (I'll settle for five or six)

Thanks!

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Newsday in the AM, Post in the PM
    Theganggreen.com exclusively
    Re: other media, NFL Network and the Jets prog which airs before the game on Sundays.
    Don't really have an answer for the rest, coffee hasn't kicked in yet...

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

NFL Network and Jets official website

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Pls send me a PM of exactly what you are looking for & maybe I can assist you.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I think that his post is pretty clear as to what he's looking for, not misleading at all....

6. championjets69

Well I want to be sure of what he is looking for as his post was far to much of a general nature. Question that come to mind. What was it like on 01/12/69 as U watched SB 3 & watched your team win a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. What was it like at Shea Stadium where we beat the Raiders to move on to the SB. How did U feel when the CHAMPIONSHIP flag was raised when we played our 1st home game in 69? What was the 1st NYJ/NYG game like? Got it now?

Any way the post was NOT addressed to U so why should U care?

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

His post is pretty self-explanatory.

To answer the OP, I check TGG, and Jet Nation message boards throughout the day as the message boards provide me with the most up-to-date info, as well as www.theredzone.org for tidbits on every NFL team with links to the various papers. I'll also check out Rich Cimini's, Tom Rock's, and Andrew Gross' blogs at night when I get home from work. As for what I watch on tv, mainly the NFL Network and then I'll watch Jet Nation on SNY when I can catch it on.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I use all Jets message boards as well as other AFC east message boards to get a majority of my information. Mostly internet sources until the preseason starts, then I start reading the local papers like the Asbury Park press for recaps and whatnot.

Top 5:

1. MNM
    2. Jets 41 Colts 0
    3. Jets vs. Packers for division title (just a great day to be a Jets fan)
    4. Vinney's achilies
    5. 91' OT win over the Phins to go to the playoffs.

Just a few that stick out too me personally. I'm sure others lists will be much better.

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

The post below was NOT addressed to U, so why did U care? Get my point?
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=20595

10. abdulsalaam

abdulsalaam New Member

thanks fellas,

any and all answers are appreciated. trying to think of the local "Jets" writers.... Cannizaro, Serby, Lange.... who else....

i don't listen to much radio, I guess Mike and the Mad Dog count, sort of, although their Jets views are iffy.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I don't count unless local extends 2K miles , but for what its worth.
    I use TGG , Jetnation, Newyorkjets.com , Newsday , NY post.com , KFFL and yahoo mostly. However I surf for tidbits everywhere.

12. riggo1

riggo1 New Member

Local newspaper writers:

Randy Lange (was the Jets beatwriter for The Bergen Record for about 12 years, now Director, Publications, and Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com)

Mark Cannizzaro, NY Post

Stgeve Serby, NY Post – every now and then, but usually to complain.

Rich Cimini, NY Daily News

Local sports radio hosts:

WFAN: Mike and the Mad Dog (though the Dog hates the Jets)

Fan website(s): theganggreen.com, thejetsblog.com, www.jetsinsider.net

Any other media connection points:

ESPN.com, SI.com

What rituals, memories, moments, places, people, things would you put in your "Top 10 Jets Pantheon?"

Good:
    1. Monday Night Miracle
    2. Playoffs 2002: Jets 41 Colts 0
    3. Jets vs. Packers for division title (02)
    4. 91' OT win over the Phins to go to the playoffs.
    5. 1985, against the Dolphins, the 51-45 OT game where O'Brien and Marino took turns taking their teams up and down the field
    6) The San Diego playoff game in 05

Bad:

1) Vinnie's Achilles
    2) The “spike” game
    3) Gastineau’s late hit 86
    4) Brady over Sapp, Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith and other draft shenanigans
    5) Mud Bowl Miami (AJ “F@$cking” Duey)
    6) Playing a perfect first half of football in Denver in the AFC title game and than completely forgetting how to play at the same level in the 2nd half.
    7) Brien’s 2 missed field goals in PITT

13. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

ill read the star ledger.....the times is good too.....

joe beningo (sp?) rocks....hes a great "stable" voice for jets fans on wfan....hes one of the most underrated guys on the radio, here in our area, and the country.

TGG.com is by far the best fan site. petrozza really did a great job when he created this oasis for jets fans.

as far as top 10 moments, i think theres a handful i can recall (im 29)....one of the best, by far, was the miracle at the meadowlands....the jumbo elliot catch was insane. a great cap to an unbelieveable NY area sports weekend (yankees-mets sereis on top of a great MNF jets win). the win last year over the patsies in NE was a biggie, maybe not in 'jets history', but a phenominal moment none the less...when chrebet caught the winning TD against tampa after the whole keyshawn debacle.....fantastic! jets over the pack for the division....was even sweeter for me b/c my best friend is a fudge fan....sweet!

adding in bad with the good...(because were jets fans, and that list is just a bit longer.....). the 1998 AFC championship game....30 min from the superbowl...and the collapse that happened....and the marino spike game....doug brien missing 2...TWO fgs against pitt.....the mud bowl....

dont PM champ....he will just list all the reasons the jets have sucked since 69.....

one thing i think anybody here could agree with, the jets are the best and worst team to love in the nfl. i know for me, the heartbreak seasons that have racked up hurt, but when we have great seosons, theres nothing like it in the world! the day after the jets win the super bowl, this site will implode from all the great fans we have here having their heads and hearts popping.

#13 KOWIE, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  14. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

im gonna say that broadway joes guarantee the best moment....

but i also enjoyed the "i want to kissssss yoooooooooouuuuuu" moment....although not one of joes finer moments.

and namath in panty hose....could go either way depending on your "preference"

15. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

another bad moment for me was when we had the first pick and manning (peyton) had graduated from college, and should have come out, decided to stay in tenn for one more year....we got keyshawn....and manning won the SB this year....

16. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

because you post on a messageboard where every post is everyones business....you want people to stop questioning your posts...try using a PM

17. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

but then he wont get the attention he craves! doy! :up:

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Local newspaper writers: I go tot he redzone.org which has links to all Jets articles and I read as much as I can. Cannizaro is my favorite writer, Lange was a great writer but who knows now that he is going to probably b writing fluff pieces at NYJ.com. I like the Newsday guy too.

Local sports radio hosts: I listen to WFAN and 1050.

Fan website(s): I post 90% of my psosts here but I do post at JI and JN from time to time.

Any other media connection points: just the ESPN and si.com type sites.

My top 10 moments:

1. GB '02: Going into the Stadium thinking the season was over and then wtaching the NE game on my little portable TV and watching Vinatieri win it for NE then hearing the roar in the meadowalnds and watching the Jets take GB apart in the 2nd half. Sharing that w/ my Dad, Wife and Brother was very special.

2. Buf '83/'87: My first 2 games as a kid. Knowing how hard and my dad worked and how he didn't want to take me but he sacrificed to do it and both were in extremely cold wetaher and by '87 my Dad had come down w/ a rare disease where being out on the cold bothered him so knowing he took me anyway is very special to me now looking back. Later on the cold didn't bother hima s much but it was new back in '87 and it really bothered him back then.

3. Jax '98: the first playoff game I saw in person, after we won that we were 60 mins away from the SB. I remember looking up and seeing the Jets and Broncos logos on the screen for next week's game as the confetti flew all over the place.

4. Den '98 for the first 35 mins or so: Being up 10-0 and less than 30 mins from the SB, of course it all went downhill after the McCaffery ctach but for about 35 mins or so I really thought we were going to do it.

5. Indy 2002: This was like a continuation of the 2nd half of GB. It was the last full season that my dad and Wife went to games(My Died died in jan '05 and Wife gave birth around the same time) so it was a speical time for me.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ummmmmm...

#19 abyzmul, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  20. championjets69

So where do U get your info since you live in San Antonio supposely?