Abe Trade... - Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

That's what I thought. Certainly makes much more sense.

2. getterdun

getterdun New Member

abraham deal

The best deal for Abraham I've seen so far is the ATL deal (for Shaub and a second rounder). You don't trade one of the best pass rushers in the league for peanuts, and it doesn't look like anyone's really serious enough about Abraham to make a deal. Everybody knows the Jets are trying to unload him, and this has the makings of a last minute, "let's just get what we can" from Tangeni, second rounder for Abraham deal. I really hope it doesn't happen.

3. Keeping It Real

Keeping It Real New Member

If we give the Abe, then who do we get to QB?

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My guess is we would draft Matt Leinart at the #1 overall pick...

The Jets might be going for #1 overall rather than #2 because they would be worried about the Titans leap frogging them with the Texans...

Either way you can't go wrong with either of the USC boys...

Get Leinart!

5. jetliberty

jetliberty New Member

Keep Abe

I was reading a post from jetsinsider (sorry) and someone said that we should keep Abe. I have to agree. The one who should be traded is Ellis who is not a game breaking DE. BT would have the same impact as Ellis. True BT has never had the numbers as Ellis, but Ellis did nothing last year and only will continue to struggle especially without Abe. Remember, we originally drafted BT to play opposite to Abe and Ellis was being shopped. IMO trading Abe may be a big mistake.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I agree with keeping Abe. I have been saying it all along.

As far as getting rid of Ellis, I would rather not. Yes, I am pissed he had an invisible year last year, but I think he still can be very good. He and Abe make great bookends.

I'm not convinced Thomas can ever be a true starter. I was big on him until this past year. He just doesn't seem to have that extra "something" to make him a quality starter. Maybe he could be converted to OLB for the 3-4, but I doubt it, not to mention the last position change for him didn't go very well.

I'd like to keep who we have on defense, giving DRob another year to show whether he can play up to his draft spot, while bringing in a NT who can be a true 3-4 guy. Abe can be a monster here, if he would just calm down his money demands, and the Jets offer him a good, not just fair, but good contract.

7. Keeping It Real

Hot Off The Press: The Falcons and Abraham are meeting as we speak!

Abraham visits Falcons
    Contract terms reportedly in works

By STEVE WYCHE
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 03/16/06
    Top Falcons officials met and dined with New York Jets defensive end John Abraham in Atlanta Thursday, trying to work out contract terms to acquire the three-time Pro Bowler, team officials confirmed.

Personnel officials also spent much of the day working out details on a deal to secure former Pro Bowl safety Lawyer Milloy. Milloy, a 10-year veteran who spent much of his career with New England before playing the past three in Buffalo, visited the Falcons Monday and was offered a three-year contract.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
    Woman killed trying to recover stolen car
    Police kill man beating wife, children
    Falcons wary of trading Schaub
    Woman indicted on teen-sex charges
    Lawmaker pulls resolution honoring Fonda

EMAIL THIS
    PRINT THIS
    MOST POPULAR

Milloy met with Seahawks officials in Seattle Wednesday ? as did Abraham.

The Falcons have targeted both players to address weak spots in a defense the team feels must be upgraded in order to improve on last season's 8-8, non-playoff finish. If acquired, both players would step into the starting lineup and be asked to bolster a unit that includes three Pro Bowlers ? Rod Coleman, Keith Brooking and DeAngelo Hall.

Though Milloy may have other suitors, the Falcons have to jump through fewer hoops to get him in uniform. An unrestricted free agent, Milloy can sign where he pleases.

Abraham, who has 53 1/2 sacks in his six-year career, and the Falcons must first agree on a contract then arrange a trade with the Jets. New York put the franchise tag on Abraham, meaning he can't sign with another team without the Jets receiving compensation. He could also play for New York under a new contract or on a one-year deal for an $8.3 million tender.

The Jets and Abraham have expressed their mutual desire to part ways.

New York wants Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub. Atlanta won't part with him. Draft picks might do, but the Falcons don't want to trade their first-round selection ? the No. 15 overall pick.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Let's all hope this is true. Otherwise, the Falcons are doomed. No way they can succeed with the legendary, wonderful, Second Coming of Jesus Christ that is Matt Schaub.

9. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

while this is new news it really doesnt tell us anything we didnt already know because it appears the falcons are still reluctant to part ways to shaub. I say screw them pull the deal of the table and trade abe to seattle for the 31st overall and a third round pick.

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If they're not going to give up #15 or Schaub, I don't see how a deal gets done. Unless they give up a 2nd this year, and a 1st next year.

11. Keeping It Real

I really beleive something will be worked out, like Mort said. Because if they were dead set on not trading Schaub they wouldn't waste thier time on the interview especially if we are not doing the trade without Schaub. What would be the point. These men make too much money and have too many other pressing needs to do this if someone doesn't intend on giving, atleast a little bit

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: lol if thats the case i wouldnt read to much into that meeting

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Exactly. And I really like how Tannenbaum is making a statement here. Just because he is a rookie GM doesn't mean he can be bullied around.

14. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

so far TANGINI has been great

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

And what makes you think Seattle is gonna give up a 1st & 3rd for Abe, especially with the amount of money they are gonna spend on matching the Hutch contract..

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Supposedly fron the NFL Network

#36 hydro51, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  17. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

A second and third rounder for Abe can be parlayed into another 1st rounder with naother team. In essence, we can still get a number 1 pick for Abe from teams looking to trade down.
    And I still want to see a double dose of USC: Leinart and White.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

??? (Scratches head) ???

19. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I think this tells us alot, my friend. It means a deal or a framework of one may already be in place.

20. MyFavoriteMartian28

Seattle won't deal for Abe, he visited with them today, then Seattle announced they will try to keep Hutch and all of a sudden Abe is back in Atlanta working on a contract there. The market for Abe has all but dried up.

Whether or not Tannenbaum can be bullied will be determined after a deal is confirmed. I doubt we come out of it looking like the team that got the better side of it, because we are the team in the need position vs. Atlanta who is in a want position where there is no pressure to shxt or pxss.

Don't buy into the whole "Shaub is not available" line, everyone is available for the right price - we just have to find the right price. In the meantime, we had better not get porked in this deal.