Kris Jenkins Available

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by californiajet, Apr 8, 2007.

1. californiajet

californiajet Member

Surprised there isnt a thread on this. ESPN reports that former pro bowler Kris Kenkins is available via trade. This is the same player that just 2 years ago was regarded as the premier DT in the entire NFL. He's had some injuries and does not have the same quickness he once had but he is massive, still young and could drasticly improve our front 7 IMO. At this point I think he would be a perfect fit at NT. We could split him and DRob at NT and move D rob to DE in as well at times to create a great Rotation. I think this would add great versatility to our line and improve our run defense drasticlly. Now some feel he may be cut later on but I would be more than willing to explore the trade route to secur his services. Draft a Aaron Ross in round 1, a WR (Anthony Gonzalez?) and a couple OL prospects (aaron sears, beekman, ramirez?) first day and I think this team would be set.

2. jetglass

jetglass New Member

Interesting. The Jets would be stupid not to take a look into this. Obviously it all depends on the Panthers' asking price. Does anyone know what kind of injuries he has suffered over the last couple of seasons?

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He hasn't played in 2 years, has he?

4. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

There is a reason he is on the trading block. The Panthers must believe he is not the same great player he once was. Still if the asking price is not too much I'd still want him because he would be great to rotate in with DRob. Lets see what develops.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He started 16 games last season.

He played in 4 games in 2004. He was placed on IR on 10-13-04 due to a shoulder injury.

He played in 1 game in 2005. He was placed on IR on 9-14-05 due to a knee injury.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Too many injuries.

The Panthers would not be trading him if they thought he was still a great DT because those are hard to come by. They probably think he's 90% of what he used to be and will cost them 110% on the next contract.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

2004 and 2005 he didn't really play, okay. I didn't really watch the Panthers last season to comment on them.

8. Long & Winding Rhode

I would absolutely look into this. He is 6'4'' 335. That's a big man. Maybe a little too tall to play NT actually. My only concern would be that this would leave DRob without a position. I assume Coleman will be starting at one end with Ellis on the other. Would DRob just be rotated in at all 3 DLine positions? Would we trade him?

9. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

It would have to do with what the Panthers are willing to part with him for. He is certainly a good player when healthy; however, he has doesn't have experience in a 3-4. Jenkins is more a of a penetrating NT, so I'm not sure if he would be very good as a NT.

10. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Mostly alcohol issues, but read he was staying away from people who hurt his career. Got out of shape and played at 370 before he tore his shoulder up in 05. He also had a torn pectoral in 04. I believe he played all year last season and was not dominating as he used to be, but coming off injuries on the same side prior to last season needs time to adjust.This could be a better year although a new system might set him back he would be a very good fit for what we need.

#10 MAJORPAYNE, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  11. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Sounds like he is damaged goods. He's leaving 170,000 work out bonus on the table.

12. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

the panthers are in cap hell already...and still have to give out 2 giant contracts next season(basically sometime this season) to julius peppers and jordan gross and another huge contract to steve smith within 2 years
    they are in a bind b/c they gave decent money to kemoeatu and still are trying to keep rucker
    they have to move someone...and kris jenkins could be the odd man out since rucker looks to be staying
    if they get any decent offer i imagine he gets traded....
    they have a need at linebacker and barton and a pick could be a reasonable package...its just whether he has the ability to play NT?

13. He doesnt really fit into our scheme as he's similar to D rob in playing style(Alittle more athletic, alittle less powerful), but is too tall to play the Nt position and I don't know about him as a 3-4 DE, especially w/ his injury history.

14. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Yeh I do not think he would fit the system, not stout enough for NT and not fast enough for DE. I would rather just take my time and get a keeper for the position than someone who would be a risk worth lots of money

15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

He went to the pro bowl last year I believe.

I would trade one of our #2's for him

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jenkins has had 2 injuries that could end up hindering him in the future and I'm not sure about the current contract he's in at the moment but for a guy that was spoken of as the TOP DT in the LEAGUE 2 seasons ago, I'm sure it's sizeable. However, he is a monster when he is healthy and the FO would be slacking if they didn't give him a look.

17. K. Wright52

K. Wright52 New Member

i think we should take a chance on kris jenkins if he's available....i think we should have kept rashad moore

18. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

It is possible you are right, but 6' 4" is not too tall to play NT. Ted Washington was 6' 4" and there are not many NTs better than him.

19. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

he also made the probowl last year he is what we need in the middle or 4-3 alignment

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If he had alcohol issues that would rule him out on this team immediately. Sounds like, if he is available, that the Panthers are trying to get as much as they can for him before another injury or off field problem. I can't imagine any interest at all from the Jets.