This is from NFL Radio regarding a Schaub/Abe trade possibility.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I don't know if the guys on NFL Radio have an inside scoop on the offers going back and forth for Schaub and Abe or if they are just talking out thier asses, but I just heard that the Falcons and Jets are talking, and Atlanta is saying that if we want Schaub, we have to give them Abraham AND swap first round picks, meaning that we would then pick at 15. I think that is a rip off. I can't see how the Falcons can think that they should get the better deal when they are getting a Pro Bowler for a backup QB. Everyone is in love with Schaub for some reason, and I don't get it. That's an awful deal in my opinion. If anything, we should be demanding Schaub and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Abraham....

#1 Jtuds, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

No way. I cannot imagine that our front office would do that. They can keep him for that price.

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

well JA DOES get hurt, he IS almost 30, and he IS gunna be overpaid

Matt is a young guy, who has looked very promising with almost for sure pro-bowl skillls, who's not paid much, and he had no targets in ATL either..

but this trade still sucks...they throw in a 3rd rounder and i say ok

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No way. We'd be trading away the better player and the better pick. Abraham for Schaub and a 2nd. That's it.

5. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Arthur Blank must be at Home Depot sniffing paint thinner, because he has to be high if he thinks that's going to happen.

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Besides Leinart, Schaub is the only QB I will be satisfied with, but not at that price. Abe for Matt or Nuthin'!

7. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

l like this and i dont like it. the reason i'd like it is for a starting QB thats. but we could save alot of money by dropping down that far. if they threw in a 3rd rounder then i def would be for it.

8. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

No way jose.. Tom, dick, and harry.

9. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

To quote the smartest man ever Micheal Irvin, if the Jets did that trade, "We would get... JACKED UP!!!" if that went down.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Not even a chance.

I like Schaub, and I wouldn't mind a trade for him with Abe straight up (though we would still be getting the short end of the deal) but for the dirty birds to dare say they should get the NUMBER FOUR pick also? No way.

Schaub is only a better option than Cutler/Leinhart/Young because he has been in the league already. There is no guarantee he will be a starter, much less a pro-bowler. JAbe is an established pro-bowler, injuries or not.

I believe Schaub can be great as a starter, but without a guarantee, there's no way I trade a pro-bowl player, and a pick at the top of the draft for him. I don't care if ATL gives us their 15. By that point, all of the targets we have been looking at as our first rounder could be off the board.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

There is no way this will happen. Another rumor. Seriously, if I were Mangini and T-man and they actually said that my response would be, "you have indicated through your actions that there is no legitimate interest. We should conclude talks now. The Jets stance will not change. Please contact us if your interest is in pursuing or final demand."

Then I would just start all over trying to put together another deal somewhere else.

12. RockVilmaRock

RockVilmaRock New Member

two words......blow me!

13. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

So they would get Abraham AND the #4 pick? NO WAY!!!

Just get Leinart!

14. Johnnytint

Johnnytint Member

Minn only got a second round pick for culpepper and no one is banging on the door for Abe. It may be all that we can get for him given his history

ie always hurt, wouldn't play sick, DWI, Asking for insane money, Holding out of training camp

15. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Sure hope you were kidding about that first part

16. Cwdownz

Cwdownz New Member

Hey guys I am a Falcon fan nad first want to say I think you guys have a great site here. Keep up the good work. With that out of the way I have a couple of thoughts from a Falcon fans perspective.

First Schaub is the real deal. Ask any expert or analysis. Plus he has NFL experience. Something that any QB coming out of the draft doesnt have.

Second hes young, with much more upside that Abraham. Not that JA isnt a beast, cause he is, but he has been proven to be injury prone. Plus JA looking to get a huge contract in another year. Schaub comes super cheap in as far as salary goes.

Now if im the Falcons front office no way do I let Schaub go without getting something great in return. Hes too good of an insurance policy, especially when you remember who our starting QB is. I think the Jets would come out prety fair in a deal that sent Schaub here for Abraham and swapping of first rounders plus a second rounder from the Falcons. Face it, Abraham will not be a Jet next year and in trading him you get the QB of the future without the huge signing bonus and salary that comes with a 4th overall pick, plus you still have the 15 overall and two seconds to address some other needs. Now in converse the Falcons get a injnury prone Elite DE and a 4th overall to use as they see fit. I dont know if the falcons come off as the better deal there or not. Just some thoughts. Who knows how it will all play out.

Anyway just tought I would stop by and get in some good football debating in with some of the best fans in Football.

17. Johnnytint

Johnnytint Member

Is he the real deal REALLY? maybe but not definitely Abe Is a pro bowler and had 11.5 sacks last year that is the REAL DEAL as far as a DE goes

He may very well be cheap this year but hes a FA next year and Atl isnt going to keep him after that, They wont tag him (to Expensive) so hes gone take Abe and you have a GREAT DE for 4 years+

Moving up from 15 - 4 is HUGE I personally would not do the deal even if Abe wasnt included in the deal (schaub and 15th for the 4th) the 4th pick guarantes either Leinart Young Cutler all as good or better then Schaub

18. Cwdownz

Cwdownz New Member

Last year yes he was huge. How many full seasons has he played before last. How many has he been in the league. The dude is unjury prone. No argueing it. Dont get me wrong when hes healthy the dudes a ANIMAL. Of course he isnt getting any younger and the Dline doesnt exactly prolong careers. Schaub is 24.

Even next year barring a winning trip to the super bowl he still wont be as expensive as JA is right now. We get a good to sometimes great DE for 4+ years but you get a franchise QB for 10+ years.

I will grant you the difference from 15 to 4 is big but alot of consideration goes into what both teams get. The falcons get a 4th who they probably use to get either Huff or Ngata. With the Jets already having Schaub they can afford to use the 15th to fill in all other kind of holes they have plus get out of having to pay huge salary. Also not saying Young, Leinhart, Cutler wont ever be as good as Schaub but they are years away from leading a team at the NFL level. Schaub is ready right now.

19. djackson75

djackson75 New Member

If Lendale White or DeAngelo Williams are still available at 15, which they should be, then I don't see a reason to not do this trade. I know we're getting borked on it, but honestly, it doesn't matter in this case IMO, we get what we want/need.

20. MyFavoriteMartian28

I heard that the counter offer that came back to the Jets from the Falcons was...

Matt Schaub, #15 overall (ATL 1st rounder), and #47 overall (ATL 2nd rounder)

for

Abe, #4 overall

Right now Denver is out of the picture, so the highest 1st rounder we would have gotten for Abe was #29 and that won't happen now. So That pushes our prospects of what we can get for Abe into 2 round pick territory in straight-up deals. Essentially we would be trading the #4 for Matt Schaub and the #17.

Thats moving back 11 picks, where we can likely get the 2nd best OT in the draft in Winston Justice. So if you guys can live with the prospect of trading the #4 for Matt Schaub and Winston Justice (or other guys that might be available like: Marcus McNeill, Tamba Hali, Gabe Watson, Broderick Bunkley, LenDale White) then you should be all for this trade. Because the ATL second rounder for Abe is about what we should expect at this point.