Too bad we signed the Raider reject...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Mar 24, 2007.

1. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

with the texans cutting Carr, now would be a great time to make a move. carr wont get nearly as much as he was set to make this season (11.5 mil) and we would would have a very viable option in the event that chadwick goes down....is it too late to get a word in with tanny about this?

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

he would command way too much for a backup and we have better places to spend our money than on a possible 3rd string QB

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

This is sorta like the big, long thread about David Carr.

Wait. . . it's exactly like that.

4. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i wouldnt mind seeing them pay 2-4 mil for carr as the backup. chad will go down again....hes only had 1 full season under his belt. its not if, its when. and when that happens i dont want mr inexperience running on the field. carrs a much better QB than he showed in houston.

i know theres a giant carr thread....and theres a giant tui-yaddayaddayadda thread....i was only stating my displeasure with both the timing of the signing and the ppl so down on carr...

i figured id see some points about this imparticular subject as opposed to just car (since that things like 10 pages by now).

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If they signed Tui as a third stringer, we're not looking for a starter that's not on the roster. And Carr is too expensive for the emergency QB spot. I understand the idea of competition at the position but it looks like the FO is either sold on Chad or ready to groom Clemens

6. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

not to say i wish injury on chad, but without seeing clemens play much its hard to be a believer. everytime chad gets hit i wince, and hope he will pop right back up. id rather the jets not signed anyone for the 3rd spot initially, but the fact that houston outright released carr makes him way more appealing now then before when it would have taken picks to get him.

i just dont think chad will be under center much longer, and with a player that has carrs upside i think its worth that gamble. even if you have to lace the deal with incentives...

i just think tui-yaddayaddayadda is a waste of a roster spot. let kellen be the emergency backup and slide carr in at the 2 spot. 8 to 5 our backup plays and starts at least once this comming season.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

maybe he won't pass the physical ...

8. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Uh, no thanks. I'll pass. Kellen is the QB of the future here.

#8 IrishSteveZ, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  9. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

we have chad and clemens. carr i believe is a starter in the nfl. texans just never protected the guy.

10. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Everyone else has mentioned why it doesn't make much sense for the Jets to go after him, so I'll look at it from Carr's perspective, why would he want to come here? I'm sure there are a number of places he could go where he would become the best QB on the team once he got there. Why would he want to come here, where there would be a huge uphill battle for playing time, when we already have Chad, and we have a 2nd round pick invested in Clemens? There are probably 5-10 realistic, better situations for Carr.

11. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

^def...i think it was bradwaysux that posted some stats from games last season. if half the guys on the texans elevated their play to the level that carr was at they would have won more games. i know he wont end up here, but wherever he signs i hope it isnt in the AFC....especially miami. i think the lions would be a pretty good fit for him. their line is better than houstons, and they have some weapons on offense/ plus, if he signs in detroit, they could focus on another need....

i posted it in the draft section, but if he goes to det, i could see them moving furrey to the slot, and drafting CJ.....i know they have a bad history with WRs in rd1, but those 3 guys along with carr and martz....they could become the greatest show on turf part 2...

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Carr would be way too much money. Bust or not a first overall pick not named Jeff George would command some serious revenue that we simply don't have to spend toward a #3 qb. I'm fine with Tui as long as he pushes Kellen a little into the #2 spot. Tui is cheap, costing only league minimum, and can provide Kellen with a little bit of advice, if only the "don't do what I did" variety.

13. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

thats possible even if he comes here....as much as i love pennington, hes not physically gifted. with proper blocking, above avg WRs and TJ in the backfield, he could become a serious weapon in the NFL. if he was #2 for a year, under chads tutalidge...it could be bad news for the rest of the AFC east.

i think a lot of guys here dont see the difference between loyalty and being blindly loyal.

14. TheSkyHadABaby

Maybe the Jets could build a time machine and draft Tom Brady. Whats the point of even arguing this? We signed our 3rd QB and there is zero way that we get Carr. He would never sign here anyway. The fact that you think Carr is a better option than Chad puzzles me. Clemens is the number 2 what was the point of even drafting him if we're going to sign expensive backups?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not so sold on Carr if a team that has stuck with him for so long would release him outright practically the same time as trading for another team's backup who has 2 career starts.

16. Khan

Khan Active Member

Well, it's the same team that never built around the guy in the first place, Schaub is next in line to suffer the Houston O-line torture this season.

17. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

im not saying hes the second comming of montana....but he has had very little to work with in his 5 years with houston. aside from andre johnson he never had anyone on offense to compliment him. i know dom davis/williams had some decent production, but hes a second teir back at best. their offensive line has been atrocious...249 sacks in 5 years. one thing nobody can deny about him is that he can take a lickin and keep on tickin...hes tough.

offensive mediocrity aside, the defense has been the worst part of that team since their inception. they couldnt stop some div 2 schools let alone the type of competition thats in the nfl. inept in almost every way concievable.

carr gets such a bad rap b/c he was their first pick, the face of that franchise. and for better or worse he took the criticisms and blame. i take my hat off to the guy, reguarless of what uniform he wears in the future.

hes much less a bust than a victim of circumstance...hes the archie manning of the modern era...

18. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

carr isn't going to sign with a team that has already named their starting QB, when he can go to a bunch of other teams with a chance to start from day 1.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm thinking it's a toss-up what he decides to do. Starting on a bad team is not any better for him right now than sitting on a good one. If you look at the situations that might work out well for him you have: Philly (McNabb has missed big parts of the last two seasons and in three of the last five), New England (sitting on the Patriots won't be a mark against him and if Brady does go down he has better protection than anywhere else in the NFL), Chicago (Grossman is the kind of guy you want in front of you if you're looking to make a comeback), Carolina (Delhomme is 32 and there are reports the Panthers are thinking about the post-Delhomme era) and Baltimore (strong offensive line and McNair is 34.) Now that Carr is a free agent a lot of different possibilities have opened up for him.

20. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Mr.T should know what is happening in the NFL. There is no way I can excuse us taking the RAIDER reject! They should have kept RAMSEY! He at least knew the system! Look at all the money we saved though!