Prediction: Jets will trade up for D-lineman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

PLUS he has room to grow and is immensely strong as is! I'd love that pick!

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

brings up an interesting question: whom do you trade with and what's the cost?

3. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

He sounds a lot like DRob, except a little smaller. Why would you want to put someone smaller than DRob at the nose? I'd like to see someone north or 330 myself, 350 even better.

4. king51green

king51green New Member

I say hold where we are and take the best CB on the board at 25. Maybe move up a little in the second round and look for the biggest and best guy to play in the middle of our D-Line. DeMarcus Tyler from NC State is a thought. Make him backup D-rob this year to prepare him for a possible starting role next year. Unless D-rob has an incredible year, I can't see paying him the 12 million vs. the cap next year.

FFToolbox.com has a nice report on DeMarcus Tyler:
    "Based on his imposing, large frame and exceptional upper body strength, he has been tagged with the nickname "Tank". Tyler is very physical at the line of scrimmage and utilizes his superior upper body strength to quickly shed blockers, fill the running lanes and "pound" the ball carrier. He has a quick first step which helps him explode in the backfield, typically resulting in negative yardage for the offense. Tyler is not much of a threat when it comes to the pass rush, but his girth and strength often requires a "double team", which opens up sack opportunities for his teammates. His speed is below average; therefore, he lacks the pursuit speed to chase down the ball carrier or quarterback. His work ethic and conditioning are a question mark, resulting in his lack of stamina late in the game. Tyler is not a playmaker on the line of scrimmage, but with a talented support cast surrounding him, he should be a very effective run stopper at the next level. He is arguably one of the top defensive tackles in the draft and placed with the right system and coaching staff, he could have a successful pro career. Tyler could possibly be a late first round pick in the draft, but is likely to go early in the second round."

He is listed as 6'2" 315lbs., but I'm sure he could add to that.
    Remember he played with Mario Williams two years ago, maybe that helped Mario shine...

After these picks, focus on a RT and OLB/MLB.

What do you think?

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

There's got to be a guy further down in the draft that can play NT--but can we find him?

The Jets need to become bigger, more physical and more imposing. The Pats with Seymour and Wilfork were already outmanning us, now they've added another big physical player in Thomas.

The Jets front line is soft. They get the job done most of the time, but in crunch time, in a playoff game, they seem to fade.

Okoye seems like a productive guy who's only going to get bigger and stronger.

Carriker seems like a mountain you can anchor your defense too.

ONe other thing - We love all our Jets, black, white, and Samoan, but there's a reason why Wayne Chrebet's jersey was the top seller (and it's not just because he's a little guy that made the NFL).

Carriker would sell a lot of Jets stuff, and they know it.

6. Nomad

Nomad Member

I don't see us trading up for anyone, we don't just need one position filled we need multiple positions filled. If all we needed was a DE or DT then I would say sure, but we need to find a starting CB, an OG or OT, and a LB or hybrid DE/LB as well. We also need them to be people that can start sooner rather then projects that take years to develop. I would like to see us draft a CB at 25 then OL/DL/LB whatever the BPA is at those positions.

7. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

This is not the old jets regime. This group is MUCH more likely to trade DOWN than up and that's the smart move to make. They have already addressed their 2 most glaring holes, RB AND DE. All other positions had at least adequate talent, but those 2 had inferior talent to say the least. They can now concentrate on taking the BPA as they said they would. This off season is coming along nicely.

8. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

The guy further down in the draft is Walter Thomas a beast at 6'5" 370. We can get him in the 4th or 5th. He is a JUCO product, so he is very raw but he as dominated in some of the scouting games he as been invited to. I think it is hard to pass up on that kind of size at NT in the later rounds.

9. Surge40

Surge40 New Member

Only if its for Carriker. No one else fits the system. Somehow I think the jets will keep all their picks (if anything trade down for more picks) and continue to stockpile players they feel can fit in their system.

10. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

That's the kind of size I'm talking about! Thanks for the info, SS.