Jets signed DE Michael Haynes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by F Miami, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Here's a list of our first round picks since the AFL days. We don't do it very well. Aside from maybe Al Toon (Career shortened by injury), John Riggins ( didn't become great until he went to Washington) O'Brien was good but we passed on Marino, McNeil was good, Douglas..Namath is onviously in a class of his own, there aren't many right choices we make. School is out on people chosen in recent years.

2005 -- NO PICK 2004 -- Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami Fla 2003 -- Dewayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky 2002 -- Bryan Thomas, DE, Alabama-Birmingham 2001 -- Santana Moss, WR, Miami Fla 2000 -- Shaun Ellis, DE, Tennessee (from Carolina through Washington and San Francisco) John Abraham, LB, South Carolina (from San Diego through Tampa Bay) Chad Pennington, QB, Marshall Anthony Becht, TE, West Virginia (from Tampa Bay) 1999 -- NO PICK 1998 -- NO PICK 1997 -- James Farrior, LB, Virginia 1996 -- Keyshawn Johnson, WR, Southern Cal 1995 -- Kyle Brady, TE, Penn State Hugh Douglas, DE, Central St (Ohio) (from Arizona) 1994 -- Aaron Glenn, CB, Texas A&M (from New Orleans) 1993 -- Marvin Jones, LB, Florida St (from Phoenix) 1992 -- Johnny Mitchell, TE, Nebraska 1991 -- NO PICK 1990 -- Blair Thomas, RB, Penn St 1989 -- Jeff Lageman, LB, Virginia 1988 -- Dave Cadigan, T-G, Southern California 1987 -- Roger Vick, FB, Texas A&M 1986 -- Mike Haight, T-G, Iowa 1985 -- Al Toon, WR, Wisconsin 1984 -- Russell Carter, CB-S, Southern Methodist Ron Faurot, DE-DT, Arkansas (from New Orleans) 1983 -- Ken O'Brien, QB, Cal-Davis 1982 -- Bob Crable, LB, Notre Dame 1981 -- Freeman McNeil, RB, UCLA 1980 -- Johnny "Lam" Jones, WR, Texas (from San Francisco) 1979 -- Marty Lyons, DE-DT, Alabama 1978 -- Chris Ward, T, Ohio St 1977 -- Marvin Powell, T, Southern California 1976 -- Richard Todd, QB, Alabama 1975 -- NO PICK 1974 -- Carl Barzilauskas, DT, Indiana 1973 -- Burgess Owens, CB-S, Miami Fla 1972 -- Jerome Barkum, WR-TE, Jackson St Mike Taylor, LB, Michigan (from Washington) 1971 -- John Riggins, RB, Kansas 1970 -- Steve Tannen, DB, Florida 1969 -- Dave Foley, T, Ohio St 1968 -- Lee White, FB, Weber St 1967 -- Paul Seiler, C-G, Notre Dame 1966 -- Bill Yearby, T, Michigan 1965 -- Joe Namath, QB, Alabama (from Denver via Houston) Tom Nowatzke, FB, Indiana 1964 -- Matt Snell, FB, Ohio St 1963 -- Jerry Stovall, HB, Louisiana St 1962 -- Sandy Stevens, QB, Minnesota 1961 -- Tom Brown, G, Minnesota

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't see how this can be a bad signing. If he plays to or around his potential, this was a steal. And if not, it's not like it's a large contract.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Would you care to...reiterate on that maybe?

And what exactly is the significance of this for this team NOW?

4. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Forget that site, he's a young guy with the right size for our system-- he'll make a few plays for us, and will be a decent backup at worst.

#44 Big Cotch, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

6. phatnols

phatnols Member

If he signed for only the league mini. what the hell can be wrong with the signing? He will cost only whatever his measly signing bonus is when he is cut 40k? or does he even get a salary or a signing bonus unless he makes the roster?
    if someone beats him out fine, he is gone for the cost of nothing. Remember he is not on the roster yet!!!, I am sure he has to go through a draft pick or 2 and some other FA's, or (FA's to BE JUN 1st Cuts). And if he proves himself he might be a decent deph player what will happen?.

If you hate this signing tell me
    who you want as a FA? Dont say Freeney or some crap like that...
    who might become available? thats anyones guess
    or if this is the last time the jets will address the DE position? I am sure we will address it more unless we have three bodies do well in TC

he is a young player that is competing for a roster spot at the cost of nothing, I dont see the complaining
    if he gets the roster spot....anything can happen, he doesnt play; he fills in and does sucky; or fills in and does great
    if he doesnt make the team it costed us nothing

7. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I challenge you to name the last team that went FA crazy and won the Super Bowl. I really don't know the answer and I don't want to do the research. I just doubt that FA is the way to go and I agree that the draft is how you build a team. So if you want to do the research, go for it.

8. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

Since we've had Mangini and Tannenbaum in the Front Office we've gone 10-6 and made the playoffs.

What happened in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's has really no bearing on what this front office does.

9. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Good depth pickup.

10. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

only news for the die hards

11. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

he beats Dave Ball...

12. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I can tell you from living in Chicago they could not wait to get rid of him. I think it was attitude and poor performance and the fact the Bear D-line was just that good. Maybe he's matured. I hope so.

13. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

This is just what the Patriots did last year with Jonathon Sullivan. They took a flyer on a former first round bust and could see if they could get something out of him.

This is just the same thing. If he doesnt work out he wont make it past training camp. Who cares???

I cannot see Haynes making any impact on this team at all.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Holy crap champ has a brother. :breakdance:

15. GreenMachine

HAAHHAHA!!!

great post.:up: :rofl:

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Nah, he probably made another account again ;)

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Should we call him "boss"?

18. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

32 on the wonderlic - trhat's pretty good.

I agree with the "take a flyer, no risk" people, but I think this may have some potential. He is well-suited to our defense with only an ability to shed missing from his game. I'm very pleased.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Maybe we are going to play DE by committee and have them going at 100mph every time they hit the field.

20. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Heck, I like it. We need the DL depth and he has potential to be more then just that. Can't ask for much more, really.