Are the Jets looking at any FA RBs/FBs?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BlairThomas#1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

With the release of Sowell, Martin being a year older, Blaylock coming back from injury and Askew and Houston rounding out the stable, are the Jets looking at any free agent RBs or FBs? Will Askew be the FB/short yardage guy?

While many see interested in the Jets drafting White/Maroney/Addai/DWilliams, RB, like WR, is not as big a priority this offseason with both the money already tied up in the position and the Jets needs at OL/DL/QB.

Someone like a Najeh Davenport might be a good cheap addition. Dude's 27 years old, 6'0"/250#, has experience at RB and FB and, to employ a much overused cliche "has shown flashes in the past". The fact that he has some trouble staying healthy and is coming off a broken ankle should bring down his salary demands to a manageable deal...perhaps he would even go for a one year deal to prove himself.

Other FAs which may fit the bill as big downhill battering rams are LaBrandon Toefield (good job subbing for Fragile Fred he past few years) or Jesse Chatman (had a good season two years ago as LT2's understudy in SD).

With a little cap room and the likelihood that that the Jets won't be drafting a feature back for another year, what do you guys think about the above players as free agents?

2. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Not likely. We just drafted Houston and gave Blaylock a big contract, though he got hurt. I still want to see if Askew can be a FB. There are more areas to shore up like getting personell to play a 3-4 and an o-line. Cause without an o-line, you can't run the ball! But if I had my choice, I would look to get a FB late in the draft or through FA. I feel ok with our HB's.

3. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I want Drew in the draft, he will look great sharing carries with Houston

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He is a wee bit small at 5 foot 6inches tall...I know he is very thick and all, but that size isn't very impressive.

5. 1028

1028 Active Member

I like Addai alot. Wasnt Duckett released? Whats his status?

6. nyjetsfan1971

nyjetsfan1971 New Member

you know I never understood why everyone is always so concerned about size. hegght wise I mean.
    I would be worried say if the guys was 5'8" but only weggihed like 160 then i could see where you would worry about him taking hits but I mean look at barry sanders the guy was only 5'8" but he was I think 200lbs, one of if not the greatest RB of all time.

Plus look at guys like Dunn, hes shown little solid guys can get it done week in and week out. It all just depends on thier frame not so much the heght , atleast thats what I think

7. Sean_in_titletown

Davenport's claim to fame in my book is that he took a number 2 in some girls closet down on campus at the U and was instantly nicknamed "Deuce" Davenport. That's gold.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

since when did houston become anything good? He was a sixth-round pick for a reason. Sure he had a few nice moments in garbage games/garbage year, but nothing groundbreaking! Bottom line is he should have never saw the field last year, and we should definetely be looking for new blood

9. berbster

berbster New Member

I like Maurice Drew too and I don't give a shit of his height, this guy his solid.