Patrick Ramsey signs with the Broncos

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Mar 20, 2007.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

No need to wonder anymore anybody.. Patrick Ramsey signed with the Broncos yesterday... Only reason I tell you all this is because earlier in the month they had PR released then they had him resigned. So to clear it all up he signed with the broncos so we still need a QB.

2. baamf

baamf Active Member

3. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Yeah there was a little bit of confusion so its official . so do you think we draft another QB or go after a veteran..

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Brad Smith will be the 3. The roster spot will go toward a more valuable position.

If Chad Gets hurt, KC comes in, and then someone comes off the scrap heap.

5. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Wouldn't like Brad Smith in the #3 spot. He's awful at QB. Not to mention he won't make Kellen perform better as he won't push him for the #2 spot. Need a veteran in there. Yes, it frees up a roster spot, but I am far more concerned on Clemens progress.

6. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Havent really seen much from kellen clemens.... what do you guys think overall of him as far as his college films etc... do you think he would be a good heir to the thrown??

7. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

yea, when chad is done i can see kellen stepping up...He was great at oregon, but i dont know why anyone would say brad smith is an awful qb...when he was the only NCAA player to ever pass for over 2000yrds and rush for over 1000yrds in two seasons. I would have to say thats not to shabby. College career stats att:1484 com:835 yds:8799 TD:56 int:33.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ray Lucas was not as good a QB or athlete as Brad Smith and yet he was able to handle the #3 job just fine, winning 7 out of 9 starts at the end of 1999 to let the Jet finish respectably when the two guys in front of him had been injured or failed out as QB.

The #3 guy is never going to take you to the Super Bowl. His job is to step in and prevent a total collapse if the first two guys go down. Brad Smith fills that job description perfectly at this point.

9. FITM

The #3 guy's job in this case, is meant to push Kellen Clemens to win the #2 job, making him play harder and earning the job, in my opinion. If you've got your QB in there and had a backup that wasn't the future of this team, then in your case, it'd be right, similar to the 2005 season, minus the collapse.

10. FITM

He was drafted as a WR for a reason. He obviously doesn't have the intangibles to be an NFL QB. However, he could slot in there on a few trick plays or be your emergency QB. But again, you'd rather have a guy who pushes Clemens for the #2 spot, and Smith surely wouldn't do that.

11. FITM

Drafted in the second round, you would think he'll be given the opportunity...

12. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Well first off, the Ramsey deal wasn't official but an offer was made. His paperwork needed to cycle through and he needed to pass a physical I'm sure. Its like with us and Clement. We signed him a while ago, but it took till now for it to be official with the league.

As for the prospect of Brad Smith being our third QB... its interesting but I don't think it'll stay that way. I think the Jets will look to fill that spot with a veteran for cheap money. We've already invested in Kellen Clemens as our QB of the future so no point in drafting another. Unless the Jets want to sign someone like Jared Zabransky as a backup and eventually use him as trading foder later on alla Matt Schaub on the Falcons.

Brad Smith was brought in as a WR/Gadget-type player to throw defenses off guard since he can run/catch/throw. He wasn't brought in to be our third string QB. There was a reason he was drafted as a WR and not a QB after all...

BTW - I'm new to these boards and I look forward to being an active contributor.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well I'd think that having Brad Smith as the #3 would be the single most effective way to push Kellen Clemens. No 35 year old journeyman sitting there behind him just another young hungry guy who was playing the same position in college two years ago.

14. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Testing out my new signature...

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

it worked. Welcome aboard :beer:

16. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Thanks. I'm real happy to be here. The resolution on the image isn't as large as I wanted it to be. I'll have to look into this when I get home from work later. Hmm...

But again, thanks. I'm glad to be a part of this site.

17. TheSkyHadABaby

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you have 3 QBs on the active list for a game. Wouldn't Smith have to be deactivated behind Chad and Clemens on game day?

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Kellen Clemens motivation should be to try and win the starting job. If that's not his goal and what is motivating him, then I'm sorry but I don't want him on our team. If his motivation is to win the #2 job, or not lose it, then I don't want him on the team. If we were talking about a veteran #2, my tone would be different, but this is a 2nd year 2nd round pick. He should not be content with being a backup.

As for Brad Smith being our 3rd QB, why not? In the unlikely event that we get to our 3rd QB in a game I think he would give defenses FITS. That allows us to free up a roster spot for a LB or lineman rather than keeping some scrub 3rd string around in case of emergency.

19. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

True That... also when we had ray lucas he wasnt a bad Qb when asked to step up either.

20. All Star

All Star Active Member

We NEED a #3 QB, everytime Chad gets sacked everyone on this board holds their collective breath (don't lie, I know you do....), and also remember when we drafted Clemens he was coming off a knee injury if I remember correctly......

After seeing Feidler and Pennington go down in the same game, you wouldn't feel safe knowing that Brad Smith would be the one coming in.......