Jets NG on FA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Mar 19, 2007.

1. section134

section134 Active Member

Jets have done a POOR job during FA
    The deal for tom jones was a trade --not a FA Move

We signed a FB from miami cause Askew left the day before ---so its a wash

We got coleman from the cowboys ---he was just a back up last year

with all the talk about how much under the cap we were i had hoped the jets would fill needs ---OL DL LB DB ----Nothing happened ----all the other teams are signing guys---jets needed alot more as this years schedule is much tougher than last year

jets are not closing the gap between us and the pats

tom jones cant get yards if there are no holes ---and we have the same OL as last year when we were near the bottom in rushing

2. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

There's a little thing called the draft comming up soon, you should check it out.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

*Yawn*

I don't see this true at all.

We got a young, big, DE to add to our line that should easily start for us. He put up very strong numbers when he played, and considering that he's entering his prime right about now...he's a great signing.

We got a half decent FB.

And while the Thomas Jones thing wasn't a FA signing, its still an addition to the team. A monster addition.

Just the signing of Coleman and the trade for Jones was enough to give us huge flexibility on draft day.

4. TheSkyHadABaby

Come on man the Jones trade was almost like a free agent signing in that we simply swapped spots with the Bears. We let Askew walk because he didn't fit our needs and picked up a FB that does. Coleman is a young DE who generated a lot of talk around the league with his play last year. Just because the Pats go out and get 3 WR and sign Thomas to a huge contract doesn't mean we're doing a bad job. Mangini and Tannenbaum have said that they want to build through the draft. You have to be patient. We signed Cotchery to a new contract and just resigned Clement who was a solid player for us last year. Wait until after draft day to make a final decision on how this offseason has gone.

5. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

In a way i completely agree with you... but did you see the $$ flying around this FA? I for one am HAPPY we didn't over pay for AT or Porter. They are getting to that age where the spiral begins to descend and both got enormous contracts. Porter is over rated and we will only have to worry about AT for a 2 years in my opinion. Give me one FA that was signed that you would have paid the money they had gotten by their new teams. There is not ONE I can think of. The FA is overrated and I for one am happy we are going to REBUILD our team with younger players through the draft that will be worth the money spent. We were smart not to take the bait. Think about it... they have to learn new systems from what they were used to their whole career, with much more wear and tear on their bodies. I'll take the draft and Thomas Jones any day of the week :grin: Stalworth... Welker.... HAAAAAAAAAA!! aren't we overrating the FA just a tad?

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ah the offseason paranoia. I'm happy with the Coleman signing. As a backup the man produced four sacks, just one shy of Shaun Ellis' total for last year, more than respectable for a two-gapping DE. I'm interested in seeing what he can do given the opportunity to be a full-time starter, assuming he passes Kimo on the depth chart.

7. Bricket-head

I think the main problem is some people think we are set for a Superbowl run, when in fact we're still in the process of building a new team.

And while I think they did it out of desperation New England already has core players and a good system that will allow them to throw some cash at FAs.

I would rather we lock up our young talented players and tough it our for a few seasons so we can be a perennial conteder.

8. section134

section134 Active Member

Columbo from the cowboys would have made our OL younger ---and better

In the draft the jets have to lucky if a guy they want is still available

FA is where you get the needs

Hope you guys are right as i get discouraged when i see all the FA that sign with others and we just got a Miami FB who never touched the ball ---at least Askew got a few touches in the 4 years he was here

9. WickedlyCold13

WickedlyCold13 New Member

I think we have done a hell of a job so far...considering we havent even factored in the draft yet. We filled some holes and made a monster deal for a top tier RB.....who would you have suggested that we signed in FA that didnt get horribly overpaid or sign with another team? We did a damn good job so far...would you rather fill a few holes and leave us in great postion for the draft or go spend huge money on signing someone like Adalius or porter and then go to the draft with tons of holes to fill?

10. Bricket-head

I will respectfully disagree and say you get your needs from the draft and your wants from FA.

11. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

another one of these threads again.

12. bakojetsfan

bakojetsfan New Member

kimo shouldn't even be on the depth chart...i agree with eveyone here, the draft is the way to go...

13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

You should just jump off the building and end it all now- life shouldn't go on.

Columbo resigned with the Cowboys- did you know that there is no State income tax in TX? When you're a FB player with a limited lifespan, that may be a consideration.

Yeah, I'm upset that we didn't overpay for aging guards, tackles or throw ridiculous amounts of money at a CB.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

this thread bores me...theres a minute of my life i will never get back

15. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I feel ya bro ! Jets' have only upgraded team at RB & DE. Nobody can do worse than Kimo. :wink:

OL needs definite improvement. RG, LG, & blocking TE & maybe a RT. Clements can definitely play another season & I believe he will play better this season than last season. RG....Though I wish well for Brandon Moore, he isn't the drive blocking RG that the Jets' need. Kendall also needs to be upgraded. Total guard replacement is needed o the Jets'. Moore has a chance to impove, but Kendall is finished. This is definitely his last season as a starting player.

Keep the faith bo ! Remember ...Tangini is getting this team right; piece by piece & slowly. No quick fixes here. As far as the money goes, Jets' still have it...so thats a good thing.

Jets' will be an improved team this season, but they may not have as good a record as last season....due to there harder sked'.

16. WickedlyCold13

we need to hear what the big cotch has to say about this...

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO the jets are still not in a position to make a big splash, like the pats did, in the FA market....... yet........

even though the salary cap dictated otherwise this roster has several need areas that making those 1-2 big expensive moves likely will not put you over the top - especially if those moves involve lineman, corners, etc etc.

now - i am in a slightly different camp with regard to the draft. i would rubber stamp any big move, within reason, by the jets to get that player who will make a difference from day one. obviously i am referring to calvin johnson.

IMO - you get the skill position studs (QB, LT, usually RB, WR) in the draft and get the supporting cast in FA. on defense its the front seven via the draft, with the possible exception of OLB and DE.

so far no complaints about FA - though i did want them to upgrade the rt side of the line - but at what expense???

jil

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

youve been a member for all of 19 days, why are you so interested in big cotch already...

19. baamf

baamf Active Member

IMO, you are vastly overrating Colombo (not Columbo). Last year was the first year he played a full season and has battled some injuries in his career. The Jets had a 4.2 yard average when running over Clement while the Cowboys averaged 3.8 running over Colombo. Not to mention, if I remember correctly he is only about 2 years younger than Clement. I, for one, was thrilled when Colombo resigned with the Cowboys....

20. WickedlyCold13

The cotch is the one who informed me of this heavenly place for jets fans...we also have alike opinions and i, unlike most value his opinion....he tells it like it is. HA, plus i work with him...he is a silly B****