Now I would package 1 and a 2 to move up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Mar 5, 2007.

1. GreenMachine

It is called depth. you can not go out and sign a team of marquis players.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I like the guy. Didn't see him a lot this year but I saw him break tackles and bust big runs several times. I love backs who don't go down easy.

3. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Let's see what Thomas Jones signs for and see how comfortable he is splitting time with Leon before we start carrying Mikey around on a chair.

In the meantime, there's a gaping hole at DT that needs to be filled for this 3-4 defense. You remember, it's the same one that needed to be filled last year when Mangini tried installing the 3-4.

Maybe Mike will get around to it this year.

4. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Deals do not get to be much better than the Thomas Jones deal.. I can't imagine you not liking it.

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

And when one of your marquee players go down, your team is screwed if you have no depth. Bowens is solid depth.

6. GreenMachine

If you followed the NFL you would know Jones is a class act who has split carries his entire career and never bitched about it.

7. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

is he serious? GSourJr your not serious right? Jones for simply moving up a few spots in the draft is an AMAZING deal. We lost no picks and still have a crap load of barganing chips to play with including a ton of cap space. Your kidding right? We just upgraded our running game in a huge way for next to nothing. While other teams have been blowing tons cash and overpaying free agents left and right.

Your not happy about the jets making smart moves instead of stupid frivolous ones?

They also might have inked Columbo too. Its been a very VERY good day for the Jets. We still have all our draft spots too!

Get a grip, getting to a SB championship is not going to be done in 1 or even two seasons coming from where we were. We were in the playoffs last year with no running game. Now we have one with leon and Jones. In the draft we go defense in a big way now.

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Forget Bowens. If we get him, it's only as a backup/situational player. Nothing to get excited about, but you need guys like him on your team.

Now Colombo would be a nice guy to plug in as a starting RT. That would be a nice, high upside/low downside signing.

As far as the talent gap with NE, that could change quickly if we draft a big time NT. With Ellis and Robertson at DE, we'd challenge the talent of NE's strongest unit, the DL. Let's run it down:

QB - Pats - No challenge there.
    RB - Jets - With Dillon gone, I think Jones is better than Maroney (fow now) and our depth is superior.
    WR - Jets - Again, an easy call.
    TE - Pats - No Graham, no worries.
    OL - Pats - I'd call it even if we get Colombo.
    DL - Pats - We'd really close the gap with a legit NT.
    LB - Pats - Before Thomas I would have called this even.
    DB - Jets - Solid starters and depth.
    ST - Jets - Though not by much. Welker is a strong return man.

As you can see, the Pats are solid in the hardest places (QB, OL, DL, LB), which is why they have had our number. That is why we need to close the gap ASAP where we can. Our best bets are OL and DL. If we get Colombo and draft an OG, our OL will be superior. If we draft a really solid NT, our DL will have the chance to be as good as theirs. We could probably get both NT and OG covered in the 2nd round, which is why I'd personally go LB with the 25th pick, though BAP rules apply of course.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

After gushing over the Pats trading a second and seventh round pick for Wes Welker, how can anyone take this GSourJr clown seriously?

10. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

anyone who thinks this was a bad trade needs their head examined

11. camp80

camp80 New Member

I like how the FO used the draft to fill needs last year and I think they should use the same approach this year. However, I wouldnt mind packaging picks if someone they really like slips.

12. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

george wants emerson boozer

13. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Perhaps, G, you are reading it the wrong way. Perhaps Tannenbaum did his job and realized that the talent at the RB position in the draft was not nearly worth that draft pick. Maybe Tannenbaum was on the ball on this one and knows that TJ is way better than anyone we can get at anyone of our picks. And your theory that we need to get a playmaker who can beat the Pats? Did you not see TJ in the playoffs? Not to mention Tanny locked up our only true Patriot killer in Jerricho for 5 more years.

14. Arsis

Arsis New Member

kimo von suckoften is one thing I can tell you. Depth also isn't a bad thing.

15. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I am moved by your sense of disbelief at my reaction, some of you. Perhaps, I'm being rash.

Perhaps I'm letting some of the smart ass comments on this thread rile my mood.

By the way, I have followed Thomas Jones...he's been my fantasy back for the last four years. He's a good player, maybe he'll be great for us. Maybe we can ride him to two wins next year over New England. I hope so. That is the only measuring stick that will impress me or should impress any of you.

There is no AFC, no Super Bowl, because we reside in a division with the best organization in the league, our focus, our universe, is the AFC East.

My beef is not with Thomas Jones, I want this ownership to be as aggressive spending my money as it is taking my money.

I'm tired of waiting for this team to win a Super Bowl. I'm tired of settling for scraps from Bob Kraft's table. Where is the ego with this ownership? Where is the drive?

To have not even made an offer to Adalius Thomas --to at least drive up the price that New England would have to pay -- is unconscienable.

16. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I was "gushing" about the Pats going after Wes Welker when they signed him to an offer sheet. I think it is a smart move. Had him on my fantasy roster, and while he wasn't great there, I've seen a lot of tape on him.

I believe Welker will go to the Pro Bowl next year with Brady throwing to him, I do.

As for the price they paid, I'm surprised they gave up that much, but I guess it confirms that Scotty, Billy and I all believe that Welker is a much better player than you think he is.

Let's see what happens.

17. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I dont even think the point you are making in this point is remotely similar to your original post. I understand some of what you are saying in this one. Although i dont know how valid your points are. Almost every guy on the market has had a Jets rumor meaning Jets are being aggressive and have been going after players.

I think its more that the Jets' FO feels like they could spend there money to fill more holes elsewhere rather than one big name free agent. You know there is a salary cap and before the TJ trade it was around 15, not the originally reported 28. So maybe its not that the Jets FO doesnt have the killer instinct, its that the have been conserving their money for the right people.

18. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Bad idea, we need to stay put. Just look at last year. Our best player was not the #4 pick in the draft.

19. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

THe only available RB at #25 would have been Antonio Pittman of Ohio State.
    Now.....Do you really wanna draft Pittman at # 25 in the 1st rnd ? Jets' took care of an immediate need.....Can never go wrong with that. Blaylock or a pass rusher at #25 looks better & better. But Blaylocks size is so needed against these monster defenses that the Jets' are gonna face this season. I can see Blaylock playing Guard. Jets' still need to upgrade TE position.

20. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

None of these big name free agents are signing one year contracts. Every player is a risk. If you sign a 3 year deal with a guy and he sucks, you have to deal with that contract the next year and it could hurt you on the cap. You can't just stock up on the best players you can and get right under the cap and then start over again the next season. Building a team is a process and it doesn't happen over the course of the first 4 days of free agency. It's not like your fantasy team that you apparently base all your information on.