How did you become a Jet Fan .. and How long

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by dBLitzer28, Feb 25, 2007.

?

How long have you been a Jet fan

1. 0-5 Years

8.6%
  2. 6-10 years

25.0%
  3. 11-15 years

21.6%
  4. 15+ years ... Im OLD ..

44.8%
  1. Carl Spacklers Grass

I was raised a Jets fan. My dad is a die-hard, altho the story behind my Dad becoming a Jets fan is interesting

During the mid 1960's the Jets used to practice in Peekskill, NY (roughly an hour north of NYC, hometown of Gov. Pataki and Elton Brand). The Jets used to practice at a place called Torpy Field, a large playing field on Hudson Ave which is part of Depew Park.

My dad happened to live across the street from Torpy Field and at the age of 15 got to be a ball-boy for the Jets. For two summers ('66 and '67) my dad got to help out at practice and play catch with Joe Namath. Doesn't get much better than that. Needless to say, my father has bled Jets green ever since.

My first memory of the Jets was the 1991 Playoff game with the Oilers. I was only 6 years old, but i remember distinctly my father throwing the remote against the wall and breaking it during that game. Maybe its a good thing that my first memory of the Jets is a heartbreaking loss...because thats pretty much been the status-quo ever since...

Luckily I've been fortunate to go to at least one Jets game a year for the past 10 years. I'm currently about 3 years away from getting Jets season tix (according to the waiting list)

I look forward to one day indoctrinating my own children with Jets lore and Jets fan-dom....

2. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

The impressive thing here is not the length of your Jets fandom, but that you know how to use a computer at age 73. My in laws are younger than you and don't know boo about computers. Nice work!

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

By the way...being a Jets fan for 15+ years does not make you old. I'm 26 this Sunday.

4. Chad10

Chad10 Banned

My Grandpa was a jet fan since the start and my Unc(his son) became a huge fan and I kept tradition going, he took me to a game when i was 4 and from then on till now......im 18 ive been die hard. My life goes with the jets, as many of you.

5. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I agree. There should have been a 30+ option.

6. Penny2Moss

Penny2Moss New Member

My dad was watching a game when I was 4-5 and back then my favorite color was green so I told him I liked the "green guys" and it stuck, I will be 26 in April so I have been a fan roughly 21-22 years.

7. Merkava

Merkava New Member

I was an off and on jets/giants fan until I had the privledge to watch the Monday Night Miracle. At that point, i knew I bled green and white.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I've been a Jets fan since 1981 (10 years old), although I can remember watching a few games in late 1980. My grandfather was a huge Giants fan -so is my mother, and my father liked the Dolphins at the time (he hates them now). The moment it really all clicked for me occured in August of 1981, while watching TV, Channel 5 in NY showed a commerical promoting an upcoming Jets pre-season game at Denver (I even remember the time 9:30 pm ;), the commercial was showing Jets players in action - and that was it I was hooked, the only Jets fan in the family. From then on I've watched every Jets game played and the few I've had to miss over the years because of work, I've always been near a telephone for those 1800- scoreboard numbers. Of course with the internet today it's alot easier to keep up.......

Anyway, it's been an eventful 25+ years and although there have been some pretty exciting and depressing moments - I wouldn't have it any other way.......:beer:

#48 mrjet80, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I watched a young Joe Namath and Jets team completely dominate a heavily favored Colts team in Super Bowl III. Joe Namath put the AFL on the map. I was a fan ever since. I have seen too many things over the years to count. What an amazing ride.

It has been 40 years. I may die soon.

10. The Screed

The Screed Member

11. CapoStatus27

CapoStatus27 New Member

I'm 20 years old, and I was always a huge Dallas fan (i'd be more than happy to let you hate me because i hate that now too). My second cousin, who happens to be a 6 season ticket holder asked me if i wanted to go a jet - dallas game a few years back and i said sure. ever since then ive hated the cowboys and loved the jets, and always will love the jets. now my father (giants fan) and I are season ticket holders ourselves. i cant wait for next season to start.

12. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

1981... I was 8... I remember after my pee wee football game, I played safety that day, we went to my grandmothers house for dinner... my parents are die hard giants fans and even at a young age I enjoyed annoying them...

anyway... the Jets were on and were playing Green Bay in the rain... for some reason I was drawn to them imediately... then it happened... Darol Ray came in on a safety blitz and crushed Lynn Dickey, forced the fumble and returned it for 6.... the Jets went on to win in a rout... I was offically a Jet fan

13. Germanjet

Germanjet New Member

I read this article about Bill Parcells in a german football magazine in 1996. He really fascinated me.

14. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

This is my 10th season being a Jets fan, ever since Parcells got here is when I started being a fan, and it's been fun and painful.

I was a bandwagon Cowboys fan as a kid, not knowing what football was, just knew Aikman-Irvin-Emmitt. Then when I was 10, I wanted to pick my teams, my brother was a Giants fan, so I went with the Jets.

15. SwampThing28

SwampThing28 New Member

long time

I was born into it. Pops named me after Richard Todd. I grew up listening to him cheer the Sack Exchange and Al Toon and join in the Joe Must Go chants. Can't wait till August!!:pats_suck:

16. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

I've been for 6 years now (2001-2006, and I accidentally punched in the 0-5 without counting). My uncle took my to my first pro football game ever on 2001 Opening Day. We got killed by the Colts and Santana Moss, Coles, and Curtis Martin were all beaten in an 100 yard dash by a fat defensive tackle, but I felt an excitement at that game that just hooked me for life.

:jets: :jets: :jets:

17. jetbo

jetbo Member

I've been a J-E-T-S fan since Joe Willie came to New York in 1965. I made my first bet as a child on Super Bowl III, Jets/Colts, with my grandfather for $5.00 and no points, taking the J-E-T-S!!!! W

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

My brother was a Jets fan. The first game I ever watched was Marcus Allen running over the Redskins, the next year I became a Jets fan, the first game I watched the Raiders crushed them 31-0. I don't know why, but I stuck with them and have never left, maybe it is a sickness that we Jets fans have after all the crushing losses and Kotites being thrown our way. I am hoping Mangini's Jets can change all that and end the heartache.

19. bakojetsfan

bakojetsfan New Member

started after the OT playoff loss to the browns in 86 or 87 (too long ago...) was only in fourth grade at the time...was in tears when they lost...been die-hard since...was it wise as a child to pick your new team after a LOSS? probably not...but i live and die the Green and White! made my family and friends in seattle livid that i was no longer a seahawks fan, but oh well...

20. Canadian

Canadian New Member

15 years, was born a Jets fan on, my first clothes were Jets and Yanks and I am 15 now.