Pennington is just further proof NO man is worth this much money

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SteelCurtain96, Feb 18, 2006.

1. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

I can't honestly name ONE player in this league right now that is worth a mega contract. Why? Because injuries happen to make players a shell of them former selves and you can get out from the guaranteed bonus money without serious complications.

People are always quick to point out how the Steelers are going to lose free agents, but they usually seem to have the flexibility to maneuver to make a few key acquisitions each year and manage to avoid the "cap hell" years.

How many of you were against Pennington's deal when it was announced?

2. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I mean, I realized at the time that players aren't worth that much money, but at that point in time, the Jets didn't really have a choice. The thought of Chad hitting free agency was a numbing thought, and it would have probably been a huge distraction over the course of the season. At that point, he had suffered 1 freak injury in a preseason game, so his arm troubles weren't in the forefront at all.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't cut him now. I think we should. But the QB is the biggest investment a team has to make in a player, since it is the most important and highly scrutinized position on the field. The Bengals, Colts, Falcons, Patriots, and some others have gigantic long-term investments in those positions. Just the nature of the NFL.

3. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Big Ben

I guess it will be interesting to see what the Steelers do with Big Ben when it comes time to negotiate with him. Though by then he will have at LEAST 1 Super Bowl Ring to hang his hat on, so that will definitely make him an attractive commodity to have on a team.

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree no player if worth a huge contract.

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Would you pay Tom Brady $64 million? Peyton Manning?

Of course you would. Some players are worth that kind of money and more... just Bradway put it on top of the wrong arm.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Brady won 2 Super Bowls and the Pats gave him $60M. Pennington never played a full season and Dumbway gave him $64M. Glad we got a new GM?

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Not worth big contracts? Manning and Brady are easily worht that. And the Brady arguement- yes he got a lower contract but thats a diff story. To play on a championship team you have to get paid less. It's that simple. Everyone takes cuts to spread money to keep good players and to keep winning. If Abe really thought you guys were favored for the SB next year he'd likely sign for much lower than he wants. It's that simple.

Many players are worth big contracts but the word Big is a relevative word.

8. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Dumbway sucks, we know that.

A player is worth the money that a team is willing to give him.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

:) :grin: that's an understatememt!:lol: :rofl2:

10. tylaw4president

tylaw4president New Member

In my experience, Brady is worth every penny. If he never brings another SuperBowl to New England, he's still worth it. I used to have two recurring nightmares. The first one was watching #72 William "the Fridge" Perry rumble into the endzone to score an offensive touchdown in SuperBowl 20. The second one is watching the Pats pull within a touchdown in SuperBowl 31, and watching Desmond Howard return the kickoff 99 yards to seal thier fate. These memories can do a number on a region, and Brady has erased them. For that he's worth every penny.

11. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Tannenbaum wrote the entire contract with all the rosters bonuses included.

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I was against the deal and still am! He should have been forced to earn it!

13. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Actually, from what I know, the Patriots were willing to give Brady a LOT more, but him and Belichick wanted to build a TEAM, so he took less. That's why those two have had so much success the past few years.

14. JetsFan

The huge contracts never work out for teams.

Bledsoe received a huge contract and one year later was sent packing after starting only 2 games.

Culpepper was given a huge contract and will probably be packing his bags shortly.

Randy Moss was given an extremely huge contract for a receiver and was sent packing two years later.

Coles was given a big $7 million a year contract as a receiver from the Redskins and sent packing two years later.

Rivers was given a huge contract and two years later has still not started a regular season game.

No player not even Peyton is worth over $5 million a year. Has he won a SB yet?

We are paying Robertson over $5 million a year and he has done nothing. We are paying Martin between $6-8 million a year and see did nothing last year and will probably not even be a starter this season.

Here is a great way to have a solid TEAM and not over pay.

Top def and top off player gets $5 million a year = $10

Next two best players on def/off get $4 million = $16

Next four on each side of the ball get $3 million = $24

The next 10 guys, last 8 starters and two best part-time starters get $2 = $20

That would cost $70 million and yet every starter on the team, to include the 3rd receiver and nickleback all received between $5 - $2 million a year. There are a lot of good veterans that would play for $2 million a year.

Now we have 29 part-time or backup players left and still have between $23 - $25 million left to spend. If you consider at least 5 to 10 rookie or 1st year players will be playing for league minimum that leaves an average of over $1 million a year for every player still left to pay. So in my senario every veteran player would receive at least $1 million a year but not to exceed $5 million a year for the teams top two players.

We wouldn't have any superstar players like Manning but we would have a solid team with lots and lots of depth. There are loads of good veteran players playing for league minimum that would flock to a team where they would be treated fairly.

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

:wink: do you work in the steelers front office? :lol:

16. JetsFan

Those guys are getting SB rings right along with the players.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Colonel Steve Austin was worth that money.

18. PenningtonTOMoss

PenningtonTOMoss New Member

very true. but plain and simple... NOT GOING TO GET ANY PLAYERS if we dont take chances

19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

What in the world are you talking about? You just said in another thread that there were only 14 good QB's in the NFL so we should just stick with Pennington and not go after another QB...

But yeah you are right...we sould take chances...

20. PenningtonTOMoss

PenningtonTOMoss New Member

dont understand....?

there are not that many great qbs in the L... easy to understand
    good players want more money than they're worth... no prollem
    Pennington isnt that bad..... debatable tho i think he's iight

keep taking chances on potentially good players