Possible Jets' Defensive Roster Changes.......

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Defense Tot Solo Ast Scks Yrds

Erik Coleman 10 4 6 0 0
    Dewayne Robertson 8 4 4 0 0
    Eric Barton 8 2 6 .5 6
    Shaun Ellis 7 5 2 0 0
    Hank Poteat 6 5 1 0 0
    Kerry Rhodes 6 5 1 0 0
    Jonathan Vilma 6 4 2 0 0
    David Barrett 5 4 1 0 0
    Bryan Thomas 5 3 2 .5 6
    Eric Smith 4 4 0 0 0
    Brad Kassell 3 2 1 0 0
    Victor Hobson 3 2 1 0 0
    Bobby Hamilton 3 1 2 0 0
    Andre Dyson 2 2 0 0 0
    Justin Miller 2 2 0 0 0
    Matt Chatham 2 2 0 0 0
    Drew Coleman 2 1 1 0 0
    Rashad Moore 1 1 0 0 0
    Rashad Washington 1 1 0 0 0
    Kimo Von Oelhoffen 1 0 1 0 0

These are the totals from Jets' season ending playoff lose to Pats'

Changes to this present roster that I feel need to be made for Jets' defensive improvement....Cuts...

Brad Kessell
    Bobby Hamilton
    Matt Chatham
    Kimo Von Oelhoffen
    Drew Coleman ???

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Why would you cut Hamilton and Coleman? What do the stats from one game have to do with the players' expectations for 2007?

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'd keep Coleman- the guy hasn't seen the field enough to pass judgment.

Add Barton to the list, sign a cheaper FA and still go after the big name pass rushing LB in the first round of the draft.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Hamilton is only a backup and very good depth, I see no reason to let him go. Kassell and Chatham are excellent special teamers, and since they are deep on the depth chart really no need to let them go. Drew Coleman was only drafted last year, why in God's name would he be cut after one year?

Kimo should be cut. And Barrett needs to go.

5. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Kimo
    Barrett
    Barton

6. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

drew coleman? he was a decent starter for us! he lost his starting job after that bears game when he slipped (wet field duh) and the WR scored the TD. that was a stupid decision to bench him because of that

cuts?
    - DE Von Oelhoffen
    - RB Houston
    - FB Askew
    - LB Chatham
    - CB Poteat
    - DT Moore (i know im probably the only one)

#6 DaBallhawk, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The Patriots game he took some shots, he got burned by Doug Gabriel but made up for it by forcing the fumble on the sideline...I agree that he shouldn't of been benched, but I doubt that was the only reason. You don't cut a guy who is depth and a good gunner on punt coverage.

I like the names you mention, except Moore. I wouldn't mind if you throw in David Barrett as well if the Jets can upgrade.

8. greenerthanmost

greenerthanmost New Member

Kimo needs to be gone, even if he brings good leadership, his play was atrocious. The worst signing by Tangini last year, but hey you can't be right on everyone.

9. All Star

All Star Active Member

Why would you cut Houston?

His 600k salary too big for you already?

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Keep Blaylock and Barlow over Houston? Rough...

Anyway, cuts/releases should be:
    - RB Derrick Blaylock
    - RB Kevan Barlow
    - WR Justin McCareins
    - LT Adrian Jones
    - DE Kimo V Ohloffen
    - LB Matt Chatham
    - CB David Barrett

I'd keep everyone else...

11. DaBallhawk

mangini wanted barlow. we gave up a 4th round pick for him, he's willing to do everything possible just to stay a jet. he's experienced, he's a great goalline back, he's a great receiver, he has more upside if you look at what he has done in san francisco a few years back. sure houston is nice and all but i think mangini would take barlow over houston because he's more proven. i forgot to mention blaylock though, we will cut him as well

12. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I agree. Barton is the hard one ,he's still a productive player and is a 3-4 player. If his contract is an issue Im sure he'll work it out. They ant beating down the door for his services but I know he will be sought after if we let him go !

13. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I don't think that we really save much money this year by cutting Kimo Von Oelhoffen. He got a pretty large SB for a 3 year deal, so I think he gets axed next year. I think he gets another year on our roster. I do think he could be a very solid backup for one more season before he is cut.

Hopefully we bring someone in who can obviously start over him outright, such as a Vonnie Holiday or Cory Redding, or are able to draft Carriker (trade up if necessary).

14. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

What are you talking about? Mangini put Barlow on the inactive list in the middle of the season because he wasnt playing well. He put Houston as the goaline back over barlow. So therefore if anyones going its barlow.

15. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

Kimo will stay no doubt about it...you can't deny that his play deteriorated, but his leadership did not go unnoticed. Tangini praised his "intangibles" to no end, and he will stick around. Also experienced 3-4 players don't grow on trees, thus he will stay.

Either one of Barlow/Houston is gone, my money, heavy heavy money is on Barlow being cut because of the money he is making. Cedric was a 6th round pick, he's still in his rookie contract, and is a serviceable backup, he stays.

Adrian Jones is without a doubt gone, his play put him on the edge, his DUI put him looking for a new team.

I liked Barton a lot the past two years, but he didn't play up to par, and for the money he is making, he doesn't seem like a "Mangini" guy for whatever reason, and I'd see him getting cut too.

I also see one of Poteat/Barrett getting cut...you have Dyson, Miller, and Coleman staying, along with one of the top, and figure to bring in an impact player via free agency or the draft. I'd bet on Barrett getting cut, with the money that he is being paid, and Poteat having more experience in Mangini's defense.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I can not say for sure what the Defensive turnover will look like. I can however say that the D line needs serious revamping. I think it is not so much about who they cut but more about who they decide to bring in.

Personally this defensive back 8 played well in my eyes. That does not mean they can not nor will not be improved. The back 8 was not the problem. The problem was the front 3. I know the answer is not on the roster. Well at least I think it isn't. Ellis is on the downside, DRob got progressively better but is not the prototypical NT and Kimo was well Terrible (note capitalized T). That is the recipe for disaster in a 3-4 having a horrible line. However this D played resonably well. Which leads me to believe that the major work should be bringing in at least 2 competent starters for the line. Will that be done or can that be done. I can only say that if I could figure it out, I would be a GM and not posting here.

17. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Please. No.

Just no.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Barton is one of the better players on this defense. Why cut him? The problem with the defense certainly was not the LB play. Barton was lights out in 2004. He got hurt in 2005. He played well in 2006, but like Vilma was hurt by the poor play of the DL. The Jets have plenty of room under the cap so Barton's salary is not an issue. He is a keeper. Who replaces him anyway?

19. DaBallhawk

yeah, he really impressed us didnt he :rolleyes:
    he pretty much sucked, just like barlow. but since we gave up something for barlow and since he was the guy mangini wanted they will probably cut houston instead of him but we will see i guess

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Cut:
    -DE Kimo
    -RB Blaylock
    -CB Poteat
    -LB Barton
    -WR McCareins

let Barlow and Houston battle it out in training camp for the #3 spot on the depth chart