Thoughts about Thursday Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AndyDrums, Sep 20, 2024.

1. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I wondered about this when it became clear that the Jets were transitioning to more gap play, but it turns out the opposite is true.
    In 2023, Breece averaged 6.2 ypc in gap, vs 3.7 ypc in zone. The Jets ran a zone scheme on over 55% of his run plays.
    It would seem the move to gap was, at least partly, to help improve Breece's overall efficiency. It just hasn't happened yet.

IDFjet likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Interesting but I’m talking about wide zone plays which is what the Shanahan tree defers to (LaFleur did it a bit here, O’Connell and McVay probably run it the most).

I don’t really believe in Hackett’s ability to coach inside zone or outside zone which I’m sure affects the backs. He came up as a man blocking coach with Doug Marrone and only picked up zone under LaFleur in Green Bay where he obviously took a back seat as OC.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I kinda felt my ankle tense up a bit when Rodgers scrambled a few times but damn, he looked vintage.

I agree with what most are saying on here. Lot of great points. I've been super hard on JD and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if the team keeps this high level up. It's all about doing it week in, week out.

Also, Fashanu definitely looked solid out there in relief. Moves his feet well. He looks the part and is just going to keep getting better.

4. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I just want to point out Hall started off slow like this last season too. I remember a couple games I asked was he injured, because something looked off. Then he picked up as the season went on. Maybe this is his thing?

I feel like our play is only going to get better as the season goes on. Finally we are what we thought we were going to be!

As far as the penalties, I hope we get better with those. Over the last couple years, those types of penalties would have killed our momentum and caused us to lose. At no point did I feel like, “this is going to cost us the game” Which is a good thing!

Acad23, Pepsiguy5 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Breece Hall reminds me a little bit of Barry Sanders when I watched him as a kid in that he'll go a few plays looking very pedestrian but then all of a sudden just make some crazy moves, pull away from the pack and hit a grand slam home run.

Braelon Allen is a little different in that maybe there aren't as many grand slam home runs but every time this guy gets the ball shit is moving forward.... at least a little bit. I'm about as excited about this guy as any Jet player in recent history and I think Dierking's point about the goal line is well taken. Just let Allen plow it in. No need to over think.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Hah. That shit made me nervous too. Kirk Cousins looks sketchy as hell.

7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member