Thoughts about Thursday Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AndyDrums, Sep 20, 2024 at 11:01 AM.

1. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I have been a huge detractor with regard to this team, its GM, and HC. Most of that was classical conditioning and the constant 50+ years of embarrassing & unwatchable losses; a lot of which were on National TV. All of that changed last night, and I woke up this morning a very proud Jet fan.

1) That was arguably the best QB'ed game I have seen by a NYJ QB since Vinny T in 1998. AR was masterful and absolutely dialed in. His ability to make plays outside of the pocket on the run at 40 years old is mind boggling. Aaron freakin Rodgers. I still cannot come to terms with the fact that we have Aaron Rodgers playing QB for our Jets. Have to pinch myself, especially after having been subjected to watching Zack Wilson, Mike White, Tim Boyle, & Trevor Siemian over the last 4 years.

2) Will McDonald anyone? Kid is going to be a star as long as he stays healthy. 5 1/2 sacks through 3 games is not too shabby at all. If HASSHOLE RedDICK ever decides to come play, that pass rush will generate a minimum of 5 sacks per game.

3) Anyone still upset about the Fashanu pick? I loved the pick myself, and now with Moses going down, he seemed to step right in and there was no drop off in protection or run blocking.

4) Tyler Conklin was awesome last night. Amazing what playing with a professional QB does for a player.

5) Braleon Allen / Breece Hall combo. Wow. JD really hit on the Allen pick. Hoping they get them both more involved in the passing game because they will be virtually unstoppable once the OL and everyone meshes fully together. It's only been 3 games playing together and we already see them getting better game by game.

6) Out defense beat the absolute crap out of Brisset and Maye. I actually felt bad for Drake Maye having to go into the game against our defense. He looked scared and rightfully so.

7) Penalties have to stop. So many 15 yarders will kill us against a quality opponent. This was the only negative from last night's almost flawless game. This team looked prepared, aggressive, and ready to hammer NE - FINALLY. That in itself feels sooo damned good.

It will never cease to amaze me how much the QB matters in the NFL. Mind boggling difference from the last few years. If they stay healthy, who knows how many games they will win. Aaron freakin Rodgers. Wow.

UK_Chilts, papapump, tomdeb and 9 others like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here are my first blush observations about last night game.
    1- The OL is really starting to jell particularly on running formations. Protection against the pass is excellent. Guards and T shifting in unison giving RB lanes inside or outside
    2 - AR is amazing in reading defenses. He makes the whole team so much better.
    3- AR and Wilson are still not in full synch, Wilson missed a couple of routes. Williams and Lazard are starting to make noise.
    4 - Relaying play calling with constant timing issues un acceptable. Loosing time outs left and right.
    5- NE is very underrated, particularly defensively. We absolutely dominated, something neither the Bengals nor Seattle could do.
    6- McD is the real deal. Rookies are also shinning albeit against a weaker O. But we completely destroyed their running game
    7- Reed and a couple of others with brain dead penalties completely negating great stops. . This will destroy us against better teams
    8- It might have gone un noticed, but our kicker is missing one too many easy field goals.
    9- The entire team is playing with renewed intensity, so freaking refreshing.
    10- Still feeling that Coaching is a bit of an Achilles heal. He is just too happy with the whole AR performance but is not more aggressive when stupid mistakes and bone head penalties, coaching errors are made.

#2 LAJet, Sep 20, 2024 at 11:25 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 4:44 PM
    papapump, SOJAZ, mezzavo and 3 others like this.
  3. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Completely agree on every point. Spot on!

As far as us having Aaron freakin Rodgers, the only sad part is that he's here at the end of his career. I can only imagine what our fortunes would have been like over the past decades like if we had drafted him 20 years ago.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets could still get 3 or 4 seasons out of him. That's not bad.

Jets81 and Linebacker712 like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

With Rodgers passing him the ball Conklin looks like Kelce.

McDonald is on pace to have more sacks in a season than John Abraham's (with the Jets) single season high of 13.

And everything else you said.

It's a very exciting time to be a Jets fan.

papapump and Acad23 like this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Definitely a lot to like. Still, keep in mind the Patriots are really bad this year.

This is nitpicking to some extent, but I still have some issues:

Breece Hall consistently gets blown up in the backfield 2-3 times a game.
    Clock management is still a hair under atrocious at times.
    Playcalling at the goal line is far, far too cute. Give Allen the fucking ball at the one and let it happen already. No need for two highlight reel plays from in close to score.
    Wilson and Rodgers are somewhat out of synch.
    Announcers slobbering over Rodgers is tiresome.

Pretty much all I got. Get off my lawn.

abyzmul and mezzavo like this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Jets79, Jets81 and Dierking like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

There was something said about how Roger’s is taking way better care of himself now than he was when he was younger and he feels great as a result.

Hard to argue. He had great pocket awareness for the most part. Looked fine running the ball. Most his passes were on point. He looked great out there.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

The coaching...<sigh> It's getting old to talk about it. Penalties and clock/game management. BOTH are bad and neither should be happening. Saleh is no longer a rookie head coach. He knows better. He needs to stop being a fuckin' FAN BOY on the sidelines and coach the game! You NEVER see the other top head coaches shit themselves over every little play. Grow up Saleh...

Jets79, LAJet and SOJAZ like this.
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Wow is that optimistic. I hope he plays next year.

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Andy, I am right with you. What really blew me away was how Rogers looked rolling out and running. It was vintage Rogers...pin point passing, reading D, changes at the LOS, etc. I thought the PC was better but like mezz said, give the ball to ALLen at the GL.

The players need to be smart and stop the dumb penalities. AN who wold have thought that this HC and DC who are married to their system ....made nice adjustment, on the blitzs... Last season we were one of the teams thst seldom blitzed,,, it was actually refreshing.

LAJet likes this.
  12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

McDonald has a very high motor and i like what he's doing. But, I dunno. I don't think he's close to being a reliable game wrecker. I think last night's game with all the blitzing helped him a lot. Last week he had numbers, but if you really watched he was far far from being dominant. I won't throw out other names like John Abraham. Not until he get's a little bigger.

13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Kudos to the entire team for last night’s effort. It was very satisfying to see us pummel the Pats.
    Excellent performance!