JJ out

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets79, Sep 16, 2024.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Ok, so just saw on NFL.com that JJ is out for the year with a torn Achilles

You can’t make this shit up if you tried…

Hurts as he was our best DE, so now we’ll need McD to continue to step up and some of the undrafted guys maybe. Reddick’s leverage just went up considerably

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Hoping for the best for JJ--

ouchy and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Nothing surprising about this. Last year, the guy that Jets could least afford to lose, Aaron Rodgers, went down four plays in. This year, they have a holdout situation, can pretty much afford to lose almost anyone else at a different position, who do they lose? Of course, it's the one guy that exposes a weakened position because of the holdout. And it's not like it's a hamstring, or a week to week, even couple of month injury. It is pretty much the most devastating injury of player can have in today's day and age. And it's the same injury both times. How does this always happen to the Jets?

There's just something about the karma of this team that is incredible.

Sent from my SM-F956U1 using Tapatalk

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If there's really something distinctive and not just our perception of events, I'd venture rather than Karma its that guys feel they have to do more than their job since we're always handicapped either by poor personnel, poor coaching, or a combo.

This attempt by those who are good at their job to do even more to overcome the deficiencies produces more injuries. Thats a working hypothesis.

5. The_Darksider

Sure, on a year-to-year basis that's probably the case. But the fact is no just that anytime something good happens for this team, it gets slapped back down, forcefully, and things go off the rails. Every time there's one little weakness that can be exploited, fate finds a way to exploit it with this franchise, year after year. It never matters the circumstances, the players, or anything else, even without the ineptitude of the owners, something always goes wrong.

I'm not a superstitious person by nature, but with sports I can be, and the way things always shake out for this team, it's made me a believer.

Sent from my SM-F956U1 using Tapatalk

IDFjet likes this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

That's why we love them so? /s

The_Darksider likes this.
  7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I mean, not really. You think the jets could afford to lose Garrett Wilson? Sauce Gardner? Quinnen Williams? If they lost any of them, or even others like Mosley, Breece, etc. you’d be feeling sorry for yourself also. Honestly it seems like you’re being a bit dramatic.

The_Darksider likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good luck to JJ. Hope he recovers nicely.

9. The_Darksider

lol whatever you say. Not worth going down the line and explaining the difference between a holdout at an already weak position and players at positions they choose to go into the seasion with.

You don't want to look at it from that angle, so I'm not going to try and convince you.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed by this but I don't feel the numbness I felt last year with Rodgers. It sucks that it plays into Reddick's hands, but at least he is there and is an option. Last year, if we'd had a quarterback like Kirk Cousins under contract but holding out for more money, it would have softened the blow of losing Rodgers - we could have just paid a little extra and got a decent replacement in. That's how I see it with Reddick. It's not great that it looks like we'll have to cave to at least some extent, but at least he can fill a big need.

Hopefully JJ can come back as good as before.

11. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Must be the met life turf. no no no we're cursed.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

JJ got hurt in Tennessee…

Ptflea2 and stinkyB like this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Obviously this sucks, but with that said, I still believe the Jets defense can still play at a very high level. The DL rotation going into the season was considered to be the best in football. It hurts in the short term to have new faces still assimilating and Leki Fotu on IR for another two games, but I think the Jets can still make it through this. Remember, the patsies should be the softest part of our schedule.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I know these are generally freak injuries but how common is it for a team to lose 3 starters to torn achilles' in the span of 1 year?

Are we just that unlucky? Is our training staff doing something that makes this more likely?

15. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Where are all of the great backup DE DT we were force fed during the summer propaganda run? This should not be an issue according to the cult.

16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Which is why my post was sarcastic

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

It's wild. The crazy thing is that before the Rodgers injury, we hadn't really had any Achilles injuries in a while. Now they are happening all over the place.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I saw a study somewhere yesterday showing that achilles injuries across the league are up substantially over the last 10 years. They speculated that increasing average weights of players played a role. Tendons can only handle so much explosion and power. PEDs also likely play a role for the same reason - tendons don't increase in strength linearly along with muscle.

Ralebird and abyzmul like this.