Are the Jets soft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 10, 2024.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree. Sauce has the body of a basketball shooting guard, he's never going to be a good tackler unfortunately. They need to scheme around that, and I think putting him in man coverage is a good start.

That way teams can't just run at his zone.

fansince90, REVISion, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Kyle Shanahan is a bright minded coach. He saw what we were doing and he adjusted. We never wavered from our original gameplan, we never adjusted anything. Not on offense or defense. Their D was clearly too fast for Breece to get outside and get to the 2nd level. It was obvious by the end of the 1st Q. So what’s a common sense solution to that? You either start faking the sweep and targeting a deep threat or you run a power O and start wearing them down. If you can’t pass deep because you’re concerned about protection for your QB (or if you’re paralyzed with fear of him getting hurt again), then the next common sense thing would be to move to power. With Breece and Allen we have an opportunity to exploit Defenses with speed or power. But instead we just folded our tents and quit. Literally.

On D the gameplan was clearly to try and stifle the speed of Aiyuk and Deebo, which frankly they weren’t very good at that either, but that was at the expense of the run. Once it was clear we were getting gashed in the run again, we just folded our tents and quit. Why?

The answer is our coach. He is not an intellect of the game, and we’re beginning to see he’s also not a very good motivator or leader. He doesn’t hold players accountable, he doesn’t mind the details, and he doesn’t have anyone on the staff with experience and intellect to help guide him. He’s the leader of a rudderless coaching staff filled with inexperienced and inexperienced inept meatheads. This team is literally now a full image of Rob Saleh, and here we are.

Cman68, fansince90, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hopefully they remember that Sauce can't tackle and doesn't create turnovers when it comes time for his contract holdout

fansince90 and Ralebird like this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And takes himself out of the game for personal reasons when the D is backed up in the Red Zone.

fansince90 likes this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Good take. He isn't soft but he doesn't tackle as hard as he could.
    I don't blame him with how hard this team gets hit by the injury bug.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bingo. In fact, this team is literally built for a man to man cover scheme. Weaker safeties to cover deep middle and the robber zone and three above average cover corners for their positions.

Glad we’re running a soft zone that wastes those abilities, specifically of our All Pro outside corner and what should be a pro bowl slot corner.

fansince90, SOJAZ and abyzmul like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I guess if you're going to look for weaknesses there, they attacked the hell out of Sauce and Tony Adams on the ground when they were in zone.

If they love Sherwood so much they should move him to safety, he would probably start immediately.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sherwood has been getting a lot of grief and yes, he didn't play particularly well or anything, but I do have to wonder if people are confusing him with someone else or overblaming him? Sherwood wasn't even on the field that much, he had 32 snaps, less than half the defensive plays

New York Jets 2024 Snap Counts | Pro-Football-Reference.com

fansince90 likes this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

All hype, no substance.

Comes straight from this legendary HC.

fansince90 likes this.
  10. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

San Francisco adjusted...the Jets, in typical fashion, did not!

11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Not sure how a true catch rate % makes someone "soft" or not. And a quick glance at your link, DK Metcalf is 10th worst. No way anyone calls him "soft."

Describing a football player as soft would be more accurate if they were always hurt, avoided contact, showed little grit or resolve. Hell, Sauce Gardner took himself out of the game for a few series because he was either banged up from having to tackle or winded (has there been an explanation yet?). That's softer than anything Wilson has done.

Maybe you don't like G. Wilson. And that's fine I guess. But calling him "soft" is such a weird opinion.

fansince90 and abyzmul like this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I don't dislike any player on the jets save Rodgers. AM not tryna convince you my soft opinion is correct. It's how I view this player. I guess the best way I might get you to feel is that...idont see max effort. ?? Rodgers? Immunized. Nuff said.

14. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

2024 Jets D may not live up to 22/23 Jets D.

That was unexpected.

15. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Did I see correctly that they are working out IOL this week? Don’t they need to work out IDL?

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ooooof. I’m telling you, we did not lose the game due to player talent. Yes, SF is more talented overall top to bottom, but we were manhandled because our coaches are unprepared and unintelligent when it comes to football acumen. Think about, can you ever imagine an announcer in game talking about Saleh or anyone on our staff having an edge in strategy or intelligence? The way they talk about Shanahan? Belicheck? Reid? Harbaugh (either one)?

Let this sink in- we have a roster that can be coached up to beat any team in the league. I believe that wholeheartedly. What we don’t have is the coaching to get the best out of them and put them in positions to succeed.

LAJet, Cman68, fansince90 and 3 others like this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Ouch.

All I can say is this team better make some adjustments and look a hell of a lot better this week. If week one was not an aberration and just a rusty start it'll be extremely disappointing

fansince90 and Jets79 like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s interesting…I think there was plenty of talk about shifting money resources from D to O … and plenty of posts about how we needed to improve the offense, and if it meant the D needs to take a small step back that’s ok because we’ve been way too lopsided for so many years.

That being said, I don’t think anyone expected the defense to look THAT bad. It was truly an epic fail…I’m still trying to think back to when in the world we’ve ever given up 8 straight scoring drives.

So yeah, a “small” step back on D to fund a much better O would have been acceptable. Problem is, this was WAY more than a “small” step back…this was a HUGE fall from grace.

I’m hoping it’s just first game aberration against an elite team on the road, but they will need to prove that … starting THIS week and go beat the Titans.

If we lose and start 0-2, people will be calling for Saleh’s head…

fansince90 likes this.
  19. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

You took the words out of my mouth. I couldn't have said it better.