Are the Jets soft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

" question is - why are expectations so high? "

hype by jets fans on social media mostly. ridiculous and childish. Joe D sucks, btw.

JohnnyJet and sackexchange like this.
  2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I want to say my season wins prediction was at 7 and the under. If that defense looks like that, I'm with you at 4 or 5...maybe.

My god, I JUST now realized... Can you imagine what last night would have looked like if McCaffrey was playing? Jesus...

JohnnyJet and fansince90 like this.
  3. mezzavo

I wish I could agree... Is it an overreaction? The organization had the entire spring and summer to prepare for this game. I expect the offense to be putrid but the defense? At this juncture of the season the defenses is supposed to be way ahead of the offense. Considering what we were last season, this performance should have never happened. To be honest, I don't think we're over reacting enough when it comes to the defense and there is not enough anger on the planet for the "Milk toast" half-assed excuses and blank clueless stare of one Robert Saleh.

JohnnyJet and fansince90 like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I don't think Braelin Allen is soft but he didn't play until the game was lost.

You are damn right we are soft.

mezzavo, fansince90 and abyzmul like this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Yes, the whole NFL is soft.
    In fact the whole country has gone soft.
    Old Times Were Better!
    Used to be we just stoned them to death.

SOJAZ and mezzavo like this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

No, it's not an overreaction.

The concerns that anyone who was paying attention had were completely validated last night. Douglas stripped the pass rush away from this team, which was the reason why this defense was so dominant, and it came back to bite us in the ass. We also had trouble on the ground because our O-line is very much trending towards the older side and the younger players they have complimenting them are, at best, works in progress. The pass protection was OK for the most part, but we need to rely on the ground game to be successful and, between the O-line and Hackett's completely unimaginative playcalling, that aspect of the offense led a lot to be desired. But, then again, you can't do much on offense when your defense can't get off the field. So when you take away the strength of the defense (the pass rush) and combine that with it already being a fairly suspect group when it comes to stopping the run, you get what we saw last night. And, the main problem with it is, there's no fixing it now. What we saw from the defense last night is what we're going to see from them against all of the better teams that we are supposed to be competing against for a playoff spot.

7. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I agree. Jets need time to gel. I didn’t expect them to win but I did not expect them to get bullied. I’m happy they played SF because I hope it will set a tone for the rest of the year as to how much harder and tougher they need to be to even fathom winning a superbowl.

8. fansince90

I’m wondering too.???

9. fansince90

Better coaches would produce better results.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. fansince90

It was hyped coming from a lot of media outlets. We lost major players and didn’t replace them with equal talent.

11. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

His explanation is garbage.

abyzmul and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Whut

REVISion and abyzmul like this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ok, use the facts. Our gameplan going in was to never use Allen or Corley, to pitch count Mike Williams, to make the gist of the gameplan be run right, run left, get it to 3rd and manageable, pass to Lazard or Wilson. No Conklin other than to run in motion to help identify the coverage. Understand this was the actual gameplan on offense. Then when Breece is clearly not penetrating the 2nd level nor is his speed an advantage at all (he looked slow to me), we didn’t even think to adjust and use some of that young power we just drafted. Why? Because this team is fucking petrified of getting Rodgers hurt, so they’re running as vanilla as it gets. On offense? Soft as a bag of brainless marshmallows.

On defense? I mean, our star defender took himself out of the game for personal reasons? He needed a moment? He was tired? We’re defending the fuckin goal line, he’s tired? We made some scrub look like a star and ran all over us. Where were these prized undrafted DT’s that Douglas is puffing his chest out in preseason about?

Saleh just stands there. On any sideline shot he’s never talking in his headset, he’s never looking at a gameplan, he’s never coaching up a player or disciplining anyone. He literally stands there huffing, chomping gum, and doing nothing. The guy is a terrible leader and the softest fugaze in the building, and I think the team knows it.

fansince90, SOJAZ, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  14. mezzavo

Damn, well said!!

NJJets likes this.
  15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets defense is soft because Joe Douglas let Bryce Huff walk in free agency then traded ace run defender JFM to sign Hassan Reddick who showed up once on day April Fools Day.

JFM had 50 plus pressures four years in a row and 33 run stops in the last two. His replacement Micheal Clemons had 8 pressures last year and 1 sack and 1 assist on Monday.

#35 BleedJetsGreen1981, Sep 10, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Bad Decision by JD to let those guys go only to get snookered by Philly on the Reddick deal. For a guy whose job is on the line, he's not doing himself any favors and his HC/CS isn't helping either. Nothing got fixed over the offseason. Not playing a new OL one single snap during a preseason game bit them in the ass. The D has been decimated by bad decisions from the FO. This is starting to look like the lookout on the Titanic that saw a shadow in the distance.

fansince90, barfolomew, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I just remembered something from the game. Didn't the Jets D get off to a great start the first 2 possessions? People were here saying this defense is for real. Then the Jets scored a TD and they proceeded to allow 8 straight scores. What happened on those first 2 series?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The 49ers starting running the ball more.

the first 2 series they ran on 1st down and threw on 2nd and 3rd for 2 quick 3 and outs.

After that they pounded the Jets with the running game. Their 1st touchdown drive had 10 runs and only 2 passes

fansince90 likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

They saw us for two series and then made adjustments, like good teams, or even average coaches do.

fansince90, SOJAZ, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I agree in the sense that he does not like to tackle.

But what he brings in coverage far outweighs the poor tackling