Will Malachi Corley Be Able to Break the 2nd Round Curse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jul 10, 2024.

?

Will Corley Be Able to Break the 2nd Round WR Draft Curse?

1. Are you kidding, it's a slam dunk!

6.3%
  2. He has a good chance to

43.8%
  3. I'm uncertain

28.1%
  4. I doubt it

9.4%
  5. Are you freaking nuts, there's no way.

12.5%
  1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

That's a bummer. Was hoping he was going to be an impact guy.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Corley hasn't stood out, it's just a fact. Coming from small school, it might take him some time. Hopefully one day.

REVISion likes this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Having him or Breece to target in the short game sounds pretty good.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He was a 3rd round pick for a reason. Give him some time. He's a good kid and a hard worker, and he definitely has talent. It's a big adjustment from WKU to the NFL.

teamgreen likes this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

A fair assessment. Mims as I recall was drafted after a JD trade back. At the time it was a gamble but Mims was still available as the last WR on the board (worth drafting at that point in the draft) when the Jets pick came up.

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

My feeling is he will come around slowly but by seasons end will be considered a reliable target.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was down on the Corley pick, I didn’t think it was smart to draft a guy who physically bullied small school kids. And maybe that will still be the case.

But I recently heard that the Chiefs and Bengals had the shortest yards per attempt in the league or something.

Its a trend, the whole league is shifting towards horizontal passing instead of down the field, and I guess if that’s what the Jets really want, then Corley is the type of wideout for that

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I’m gonna say no bc he wasn’t drafted in the second round

Ralebird, dmw and jets_fan like this.
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the coaching staff can find ways to use him and his talents right now. In addition, he was a known project when he was drafted, in that he needs to learn route running. We'll see if he does.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't they say the same things about Denzel Mims?

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm cautiously optimistic on Corley.

He won't be asked to do a ton this year with GW and Williams being the top 2 guys in the passing game, which will allow him to develop at his own pace.

I hope Hackett finds creative ways to get the ball in his hands in space though as that's where he can shine early on in his career.

ouchy likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think you are revising history--there was no mention by jets brass at the time of draft there he had route running issues. If you have evidence you should post it.

He was drafted on 4/26. Show some evidence that they viewed him as developmental within a couple weeks of that.

13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It doesn't even matter what the rest of this sentence says. We're doomed if we're relying on this. :D:(

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m not in your debate with IDF, but it was 1000% reported everywhere that Corley’s main issue would be learning and executing a full route tree. Hell, there’s even a video of Corley addressing it and acknowledging it’s a part of his game he needs to improve. He’s a weapon that needs plays drawn up specifically for him, you can’t plug him in as a backup receiver yet.

dmw and IDFjet like this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ok--I'll take your word on that.

Perhaps I missed the communication from the FO that this pick was meant as developmental--Ducasse comes to mind as a pick at this level that was known to be developmental. I'll consider putting Corley in that category unless I hear different. Thx.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I mean, just about every 3rd rounder is developmental to some degree. I do believe Corley will be a great playmaker, but he’s not a day one player.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I hope you're right--did you watch any preseason? Corley doesn't look particularly quick out there but that could be because he's thinking. You know who looks quick and ready to play? Isaiah Davis.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I can’t point to any specific quotes or videos or anything like that, but at draft time, I was under the impression that we saw him as a playmaker with the ball in his hands and not as a polished full route tree kind of receiver…I remember hearing how he can contribute right away with the YAC skills but he was not viewed as a plug and play WR who can run the entire route tree.

I also don’t think he was viewed as a “speed” guy, but more so a tough runner who could bowl people over as well as an elusive type guy

So in that sense, you can say he was considered a developmental type guy, but I didn’t come away with the impression that developmental meant he needs to sit or red-shirt a year and not contribute at all…

I thought the plan was to use him in the slot or even out of the backfield and let him run either short crossing routes or little dump offs into the flat and just let him create

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They just need him to earn the "dirty yards" when called upon on occasion to move the chains

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Davis looks good I agree, but it’s preseason and Davis is a RB so it’s an easier position to learn. That said I don’t think we’re gonna see a whole lot of either come regular season, and I didn’t really expect to.