Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Nonsense. We want him for one year. He’s under contract for one year. He has to play, period. We have no reason to pay him a penny more. He can hold out, kick, scream, whatever. Unless he cuts his nose off to spite his face and tanks his career by sitting out and putting himself in the exact same situation next year, he’s coming to work. He has zero leverage in this. Zero.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Says the same guy who just said a few days ago that we don't need Reddick this season until the playoffs. Only a fool would say one of the top pass rushing D ends in football isn't needed until the playoffs. That makes no sense. The Jets NEED Reddick to get to the playoffs. How much do you want to bet that you're wrong and Reddick will be a big difference maker for us this year. We will revisit this during the season when the Jets pass rush is just meh. They brought Reddick in to be a difference maker. Not to talk about leverage. No one cares about that.

This is all Joe Douglas' fault and you're too blind to see it. No GM does a deal for a high profile player without a mutually agreed upon contract in place, not one. Douglas once again thought he was the smartest guy in the room when he made this trade yet he foolishly never had a deal in place. He gave up draft capital to get an asset that may never play for this team. That would be inexcusable. This season will be the final nail in Joe Douglas' coffin as an NFL GM if he doesn't get Reddick into camp before Week 1. Book it.

That's a rookie GM move and that's why Douglas needs to be out the door quicker than a NY minute if this team does not make the playoffs. It's playoffs or bust for JD.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Jeeez you’re so angry. I don’t want Reddick for more than a year. Neither did PHI. It is what it is, he obligated to be here or he’s gonna lose millions and potentially his career. We don’t need him to make the playoffs. That’s just silly, we already have a very good to great D. Reddick is the cherry, not the cake. A pass rusher like him is the difference maker come playoff time, not weeks 1-4. He’s not sitting out, we’re not paying him, we have no reason to. Tough shit on him, sometimes this is just how the timing works for players. If he plays out this season he’ll hit the market and have a chance to see what he’s worth. Unless of course we franchise him, which if he plays well this year we probably will. Again, sucks for him but that’s the way it works sometimes. He’ll be here to give us exactly what we want for exactly what we’re paying him. If not, so goes the story of the Hassan Reddick career… booo hoo.

NOVAJET likes this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm not angry lol just factual. If Reddick has a great year the Jets may re-sign him even at age 31 for the 2025 season which still gives him a few years of elite production. It also depends on some of these young D ends/D linemen on the team and some of the potential rookies battling for a roster spot. Reddick is a proven commodity. I hope you're not banking on lightweight Will McD. That softy is going to get pushed around like a rag doll. Another awful JD pick. You act as if this team is an automatic playoff berth, far from it. Have you watched this revolving circus for the last 5, 10, 15 years? An absolute shitshow on the field.

The Jets need every stud asset they can get on the field. Bottom line.

#304 JetsNation06, Aug 17, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
  5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

The contract issues seem to be endemic to the organization not the GM. I feel like we’re always having these weird issues that no other team does wrt to contracts. The offset language, rookies constantly signing late, etc.This is a Woody problem too and probably won’t go away with the next GM.

REVISion and JetsNation06 like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Re: the impact of Rodgers / Saleh -

A top 5 QB in the NFL has an average wins above replacement or WAR of around 5, meaning a top 5 QB will usually result in about 5 more wins over the course of a season than an average QB.

To give context on how much more important QB is than any other position - no other position has a WAR higher than 1.

Zach Wilson was the worst starting QB in the NFL, and Rodgers is a top 10 QB. It's hard to overstate how massive an upgrade going from Wilson to Rodgers is. It's not insane to think we would've won 12 games last year if Rodgers hadn't gotten hurt.

Now, it's not quite that simple, because we had a far worse point differential last year than our record would've indicated, meaning we were a worse team than our record indicated. We got blown out a lot. Still, QB has an insanely large impact in the NFL. There's nothing like it in any other major sport.

TLDR;

We probably would've won around 10 games with Rodgers last season. Saleh is indeed a mediocre coach (good coaches don't get blown out a lot), but a good QB covers up so many other weaknesses.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah boo hoo him huh? It will be 14 years without playoffs here but who cares at least we stood our ground on Haason Reddick

JetsNation06 and abyzmul like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don’t think Rodgers is a top 10 QB anymore. Maybe top 15 though and that should be enough to make a playoff run. Emphasize “should”

For whatever reason WAR doesn’t translate well to football

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Matthew Judon, edge rusher recently traded to Atlanta from New England for a third round pick on asking for a contract extension:
    When asked about getting a new extension from the Falcons, Judon said, “The Falcons know nothing about me as a football player or as a man. They know my previous resumé. I can’t really demand or ask for anything I haven’t worked for. I’m gonna work for it.” (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/matthew-judon/5019)

.... Ya listening Hasson???

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Reddick is almost 30 and he depends on his athleticism (speed) to get sacks. For an athletic edge rusher, he's just about over the hill so it doesn't make sense to sign him to a long-term guaranteed contract. All the NFL GMs know this, so if he doesn't play this season, his market value will drop even more. His best option by far is to negotiate and get a slightly better contract for this season and to PLAY. If he plays well, he could sign 1 or 2 year contracts for a few more years, but with diminishing salaries. That's the reality of the situation and he seems to be fighting it.

All Gas No Shake and mezzavo like this.
  11. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. His agent needs to be reminded of this as well.

dmw and mezzavo like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO His agent is a big part of the problem and he might have completely over played his hand and screw the player in the process. It seems to me both sides need to very quickly reach a reasonable compromise or he might be screwed for the long run

mezzavo likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not that I’m into the Jets setting a precedent to reward a holdout but it seems like the best thing they could probably do is just give him more a pay bump this year and send him on his way after the year.

We have the cap space available this year to make it happen if Spotrac is right ($17 million). One of the dumber things to do would be to sign some sort of 3-year extension that pushes him later into his 30’s as a high paid Jet.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

No reason to compromise.

Show up and play or sit a year and fuck your career.
    The Jets should not waive or give him any of his fines back unless it is tied to some kind of incentive (like sacks).

He has absolutely zero leverage.

mezzavo likes this.
  15. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

My understanding is, Per the CBA they can't give him his fines back. Only if he were still on his rookie deal would that be able to happen.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m not sure how it all works with fines…I know the CBA says fines can’t be “forgiven” but the team can just give the player a bonus or a salary increase to make the player whole, no? Effectively the same thing

IDFjet likes this.
  17. DrM

DrM Member

FYI his agent is Tory Dandy at CAA

LAJet likes this.
  18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Well said. At his age and position, usually, the decline is quick and merciless. I say the team flips the contract to guaranteed and add a couple million and present that. If they haven't already. If he doesn't like it then he can park it in the stands with the rest of us for 2024. He'll be LUCKY to pull down $14 mill NEXT year and that's IF a team is interested. Heck, if I were GM and he didn't take the money, I would make him sit the entire season and force him back to the table next year without the accrued season. (I think it works that way)

dmw and IDFjet like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well that's one jim-dandy of a name.

mezzavo likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think he needs to show up first, but also the Jets should bump up this year salary or give him higher incentives simultaneously. If not he sits and we miss out on a great DE. It’s looking like a one year rental at this point.

#320 LAJet, Aug 19, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2024