Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He agreed to a 3 year deal: https://www.nfl.com/news/haason-reddick-eagles-agree-to-three-year-45m-contract
    This is year #3. Play out your contract and then sign with whomever you want. This isn't even a rookie deal, which was imposed on him - he signed it as a free agent! Now, that does not make JD's letting go of Huff to Philly and then trading a 3d/2nd to Philly to get a disgruntled guy a smart deal - in fact that was pretty stupid on JD's part when he could have just had Huff.

But given where we are the only thing dumber would be to give the guy who is turning 31 next year and relies on athletic ability a lot a big extension. Reddick will probably have no choice but to show up at some point during the season as I do not see JD giving him an extension. At this point we need to be ready to start the season with Clemons and McD opposite JJ. What a downgrade from JFM and Huff from last year though, this really sucks.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Eagles dealt him because he was grumbling about his contract and they saw the writing on the wall. If the Jets didn’t talk to him and his agent beforehand about not giving him an extension then they’re simply morons for making this trade.

The only thing saving them is that they slam these guys $50K a day for not showing up in camp and then I think it escalates during the season. He’ll show up. Less than three weeks and he’ll be a milly in the hole.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He would be a fool to sit out the season. He would return next season as a disgruntled 31 year old who just took a year off. He'll negotiate or he's a fool.

mezzavo, sozopol and LAJet like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are correct. Although I would not dismiss he is letting his foolishness or ego get the best of him

themorey and dmw like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you wonder who he’s talking with. He already got his bag, 3years/45 mill with the eagles is nothing to scoff at. I agree he would be dumb to sit out the season.

play out the year and earn a contract is a better move

mezzavo likes this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I wanted to trade or cut his ass, but now given our DE situation, we have to sign him so he's going to get something. IMO.

The sooner the better.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It wouldn't shock me at all. This is the Jets that we're talking about. For them to manage to pull this kind of thing off twice in a decade would just be astonishing, even for this franchise.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So I'm seriously the only one that thinks the Jets moving him from Sam to EDGE (at least on the depth chart) bears any significance here? He's being paid Sam linebacker money.

9. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

When you don't know what being a GM entails and you take the job anyway. Between Woody and JD we have the best Jets team ever and can't seem to get to a NON-LOSING season. Do you think you're being played? I KNOW the answer to that question.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He's getting about the same money as Huff just got so not sure what you mean

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

... yeah and that's probably the problem

It's looking like JD played this one pretty poorly

BacktoQueens and abyzmul like this.
  12. jets_fan

I agree, although this would be more or less the equivalent of him missing the entire season.

Hopefully the pass rushers we have left on the roster will be able to step up, since I don't think that we can rely on the Jets front office and Reddick's representation to get this issue resolved anytime soon. It will be nice to have Reddick on the field, since he's highly productive, but at this point I think we have to be ready for the idea of our defense not being as good as they were last year due to a somewhat diminished pass rush. Hopefully Rodgers can stay healthy and the offense can pick up some of the slack on the other side.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

trade his ass....they'll be fine without him

LAJet likes this.
  14. jets_fan

Can't imagine that anyone is going to trade for him at this point. There's also the fact that there's no way at this point that they'd be able to recoup the third round pick that they're currently on the hook for.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Good idea. JD should start by making a shortlist of all the NFL GM's who haven't been paying attention to the NFL.

IDFjet and Ptflea2 like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The only way we'd be able to trade RIddick for anything more than a 5th is if we ate his salary. Plus, I believe, we'd still be on the hook for the terms of our deal. If he plays 67% of the snaps or gets 10 sacks we'll owe Phily a 2nd (most teams don't rotate ends like we do). So it could eat up to 14 million, and pay a 2nd, just to get whatever we'd get for him, which is less and less with each passing day. Obviously the exact trade terms would be negotiable but we'd still walk away losing.

The best solution is to reach a deal with him.

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

AKA: "cut off your nose to spite your face"

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I still think something will be worked out…may take a while, but hard to imagine a player sitting out all year…last guy was Leveon and I think everyone saw how that worked out for him.

The next worst scenario is that the player shows up at week 6 or whatever that cutoff is to count for an accrued season, but if he does that, he totally jeopardizes his ability to reach incentives.

My guess is that something will be done…hopefully sooner than later, but that’s the best outcome for both player and team

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Huff got a lowball deal that is not in line with elite pass rushers.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

How well is Huff doing in Philly?