Saleh says Aaron Rodgers unlikely to play in preseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Jul 30, 2024.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

GREG likes this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Not surprised by this at all. 40 going on 41 coming off a serious Achillies injury. No way they were risking him in preseason.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have minded seeing him in the first series of game 3--I think they did that last year and scored--but of course you must have all the starters in and thats a risk too. Overall its better to be too cautious, for sure.

GREG likes this.
  4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Sitting AR for preseason is the right call. I see little upside and lots of risk.

6. JetFanInNE

He played one drive and 4 snaps since the end of the 2022 season. How about we get the guy back on the field? Are we really going to wait until the games count to shake the rust off the guy?

Dierking likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd be interested in seeing how many players 40 or over (outside of Aaron Rodgers 2023) have ever played in a pre season game.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

On the flip side the Jets will get a good look at what Jordan Travis can do this preseason.

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he's inactive due to injury--could be wrong but pretty sure...,

NCJetsfan and GREG like this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I didn't know that.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Full article by Cimini below.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40682894/aaron-rodgers-unlikely-play-preseason-jets-coach-says

Aaron Rodgers unlikely to play in preseason, Jets coach says

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. --

Aaron Rodgers' first postsurgery game action might not be until Sept. 9 against the San Francisco 49ers, when the New York Jets open the season on "Monday Night Football."
    The star quarterback, who ruptured his left Achilles last Sept. 11, is unlikely to play in the preseason, coach Robert Saleh indicated Tuesday.

Saleh said it hasn't been discussed internally, but his "instinct" is telling him to keep Rodgers on the sideline for all three games. But he added, "... I want to leave it open. That third game [Aug. 24 against the New York Giants] is the one where we're deciding. He definitely won't play the first two."
    Ultimately, it probably will be Rodgers' call.

After weeks of speculation last summer, Rodgers wound up playing two series against the Giants in the finale -- his first preseason action since 2018. He decided there was value in playing, considering he was new to the team, and it was a new offensive system.

The circumstances are different this time. This is the Jets' second year in offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett's system, so there's more of a comfort level. The biggest factor, though, is Rodgers' health. The Jets, perhaps haunted by last year's Achilles debacle, don't want to take any unnecessary risks with their franchise quarterback.

Rodgers, fully healthy, has taken every first-team snap in the first six practices of training camp. Between the regular practices and upcoming joint sessions with the Washington Commanders (Aug. 8) and Giants (Aug. 21), the feeling is that he will have plenty of opportunities to get ready for the regular season.
    The four-time MVP hasn't displayed any ill effects from his Achilles injury, although the past two practices -- the first two in pads -- were spotty. Rodgers was visibly frustrated throughout a sloppy Monday practice, and things didn't improve by much on Tuesday.

Unofficially, Rodgers completed only 10 of 21 passes in team drills, including four throwaways under pressure, one drop and one miscommunication with wide receiver Garrett Wilson. Afterward, Rodgers and Wilson engaged in an intense discussion on the sideline for the second time in four days. Center Joe Tippmann also had another shaky day with his shotgun snaps.

"Inconsistent," Hackett said before practice, speaking of the offense in general. "I think there's been some good, some bad, some things that we have to work through.
    "[It's] just everything -- guys working together," he added. "Some guys that are brand new [are] getting used to some of Aaron's cadences, [Tyrod Taylor's] cadences. There are a lot of new players here, so they're just kind of still working their way into it."

One benefit to playing in the preseason would be building chemistry with the offensive line. The starting five still hasn't practiced together, with right tackle Morgan Moses still recovering from offseason pectoral surgery. He's expected to return in a couple of days.

A year ago, Rodgers didn't get any work -- practice or game -- with his starting line. In the season opener, left tackle Duane Brown, in his first game action, surrendered the sack that ended Rodgers' season.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well I got tickets to Giants pre-season game. Selfishly I want him to play at least a quarter but we shall see.

13. JetFanInNE

He’s played less than a quarter since 2022. How about we get him in a game before his rust costs us valuable wins?

14. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

So no QB play. Makes sense Jets don't want to end the season before the season starts.

As a season ticket holder, I question why we must buy the preseason games if the players don't play?

I can't give those preseason games away. Nobody wants them.

Lawsuit...

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess that depends on whether you consider preseason an actual game and what benefit you think it provides. They are just vanilla scrimmages that give the NFL a reason to cash in on commercials at this point. The joint practices are far more valuable.

LAJet likes this.
  16. JetFanInNE

[​IMG]

17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

NFL has to make sure they get every last dollar they can out of the fans.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I really hope Rodgers learned to act like old Brady and fall down when the play looks over.

Another thing--I'm guessing that the snap problem is due to AR telling Tippman to spin it a certain way etc., and while JT learns it he's going to make mistakes.

Otherwise, this is entirely on coaching---how can the CS not have realized this is some kind of problem that needs practice? Unless he has the yips, practice solves this problem--

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

This is bad coaching imo. ARod has played 4 snaps as a jet, hasn’t played a full game in two years, and the offense is a bunch of new players who reportedly look inconsistent and rusty in camp. You’re just gonna stroll him out against the NFC champs week 1 in front of the world with no previous game action? Good grief.

NY Jets68 and Brook! like this.