Sauce Taking Stiggers Under His Wing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 27, 2024 at 11:57 AM.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/06/27/ny-jets-sauce-gardner-rookie-lauds/

Sauce Gardner lauds NY Jets rookie: ‘I see myself in him’
    By Brandyn Pokrass

Sauce Gardner is confident in one of the New York Jets’ newest additions.

In an interview with team reporter Caroline Hendershot, the star cornerback talked about what rookie Qwan’tez Stiggers could bring to the team in 2024 and in the future.

“He can add a lot. He is very talented and willing to learn, just like I was when I first came into the league. I see myself in him a little bit, in terms of the mental aspect, being vocal always, not being afraid to speak up, not being afraid of asking the older guys, the veterans, for advice/help on the playbook & life or whatever it is,” said Gardner.

It is not a surprise that Stiggers is making an impression on Gardner. During the team’s OTA and minicamp practices, the rookie was sticky in coverage and had multiple big interceptions. He looked fluid with his hips and stayed with receivers both vertically and laterally.

Combining solid on-field play with an elite mindset will only make Stiggers’s adjustment to the NFL easier. If he is as motivated as Gardner says, the rookie will find ways to improve quickly and become one of the Jets’ most important defenders of the future.

Additionally, Stiggers is in a great position due to Gardner’s willingness to help. The star cornerback has repeatedly said that he wants to teach and help the rookie adjust to the NFL, essentially becoming a mentor figure in the process. He is as good of a mentor as Stiggers could have, as Gardner has been one of the best cornerbacks in football for two straight seasons.

The Jets saw what Stiggers could bring to the table and took a chance on him in the fifth round. With a high level of work ethic and a co-sign from Gardner, New York could have its next outside cornerback duo set for the foreseeable future if everything goes swimmingly.

Borat, nycarl, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I realize that a lot of this is offseason hype, but I get the sense he's going to be CB2 in 2025 after they let Reed walk

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Really rooting for Stiggers. That guy has been through some tough times. Every time I hear about this guy its about a different adversity he overcame. What a journey to even get here

Savatage, nycarl, LAJet and 4 others like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Can he teach him to tackle if necessary? o_O

Hemi and mezzavo like this.
  5. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Facts hope he succeeds

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Shit man who couldnt root for this guy--from Wikipedi:

Stiggers' father was involved in a serious car accident on February 14, 2020, and later died on September 19, 2020, while Stiggers was a freshman at Lane College in Jackson, Tennessee; his father's death caused him to enter into a significant depression that resulted in him dropping out despite being on a scholarship.[3]

At the urging of his mother, Stiggers tried out for and signed with Fan Controlled Football (FCF), a livestreaming indoor American football league.[3] He played during the 2022 FCF season and caught the attention of former Toronto Argonauts offensive coordinator Josh Jenkins, who suggested he should try out for the Canadian Football League.[4][2

While many expected him to be cut during the preseason due to his lack of college or professional experience, Stiggers made the team's initial regular season roster and also became a regular starter for the Argonauts during his rookie 2023 CFL season, successfully transitioning to play Canadian football.[3][5] He played in 16 regular season games where he had 53 defensive tackles, three special teams tackles, and five interceptions.[6] By the end of the year, he was chosen as the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie and as a CFL East All-Star, as well as selected to attend the 2024 East–West Shrine Bowl prior to the 2024 NFL draft

mezzavo, nycarl, Nyjets4eva and 4 others like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If Stiggers is half as good as the PR push behind him... we may have a decent CB.

8. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I mean everyone has a story and his is easy to get behind. Not sure why you feel it’s being pushed or exaggerated by them telling it. They do this with anyone who been through shit

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I get it.
    And Qwan'Tez (nice name!) seems like a good kid and a nice pick up.

Sometimes I just like to see a player develop without the extra pressure of having to meet external expectations.

I've said before that the nice thing Douglas has done is bring in players with character... likeable & easy to root for.

NY Jets68, Nyjets4eva and jetophile like this.
  10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Let me preface this by saying I know Qwant'ez Stiggers story. During the draft a few years ago I felt like I was rubbernecking at the scene of a fatal accident against my will. I got so irritated at one point, I turned it off. The background stories were at the point of being borderline invasive and disrespectful. Mother got hit by a train, grandparents stabbed to death, brother robbed and shot dead, 10 different foster homes, etc. No sense of propriety, it was that bad.

At the end of the day Stiggers is a true underdog story whether he makes it or not in the NFL. Point taken by @Acad23 , it's a different kind of pressure. Right now he's kind of the Jets HE HATE ME.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If any defensive staff can develop his talent, this is the one. This Jets D-staff has a great track record so far of developing young defensive players.