How Bob Saleh gets his team back...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I agree with you on both Joe D and Salah. Joe D might eventually get a GM job who knows but Salah as a HC is done in my opinion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They’ll both find other jobs though.

Saleh probably as a defensive line coach or defensive quality control somewhere with the LaFleur’s or Shanahan.

Douglas will go be a director of scouting or something.

As bad as they’ve both been, they’re not Gase or Maccagnan level bad.

mezzavo, NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What teams are trying to steal Douglas away from the Jets if he is so "coveted"? A head coach with some limited success in the past in one facet of the game doesn't shout "highly regarded" to me.

I don't see the Jets' fortunes changing until these guys are replaced.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Douglas is highly regarded as a GM and Saleh could easily get a DC job and possibly another head coaching job.

5. Ralebird

You seem to miss the point - it's easy to say these things but they are simply your opinion, not fact.

Why is Douglas highly regarded, and by whom in the NFL?

What specific success has Saleh had to make him a viable candidate for any DC job, much less a repeat performance as head coach?

What am I missing about both of them and why is it so hard for you to support your claims? Their performance at the Jets has been detrimental to their careers, not positive.

Since1969 likes this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There is no defense of Douglas' record. He's only done 5 drafts and, so far, his first two first round picks aren't even on the roster anymore. That's just shameful. If it weren't for the Sauce/Wilson draft, he'd already be, deservedly so, out of a job.

And that's just the draft and doesn't even call into question the fact that the O-line has been worse under his leadership than it was when he got here, and that was one of the big reasons he was brought here in the first place.

HomeoftheJets and mezzavo like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Douglas is very good at making friends. He has tight relationships with several GMs and media personalities and that helps with how he is “regarded” and covered

it doesn’t help with winning football games though :(

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, it's an opinion. I base my opinion on listening to other experts that I respect and who know way more than me. Those experts say that Douglas is highly regarded around the league. In addition, Douglas has built an excellent roster and he's light years better than the last 2 Jet GMs. As for Saleh, the defense speaks for itself.

9. Ralebird

#49 Ralebird, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    GREG likes this.
  10. jets_fan

Well, in fairness, the hunt never stops when you don't find what you're looking for.

And the both of them are averaging 6 wins or less a season. For a GM in his 6th Season this is absolutely unacceptable. And there's still questions at O-Line (age, injuries) and QB (incompetence, age, injuries), which were the two areas that were obvious areas of need when he arrived and one of which is his supposed area of "expertise". His first two first-round picks are also no longer on the team. The Jets have done a fantastic job of selling this ridiculous idea to the fanbase that Douglas is a quality GM.

#50 jets_fan, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

But this isn’t like Izdik or Macagnan, like Jd is well regarded despite the mess he’s been around. That speaks a lot to either his rapport around the league or maybe the mess he’s had to deal with since being a GM. The others can’t even get a job and were dragged thru the mud when they were here

12. jets_fan

So, in other words he gets a free pass for what he's done here by others around the league, because the mess he's been around has been the mess that's he himself has created. Outside of one draft, which was admittedly a potentially all-time great draft, he's been abysmal. His first two first-rounders aren't even on the team anymore. That's unacceptable. The O-line may have gotten worse since he took over. Again, unacceptable. The QB situation has somehow been worse than when he took over, although that can change if Rodgers actually gets on the field this year.

He may be well regarded around the league, although I very much doubt that that's actually the case. But, even if he is, it doesn't mean that he's been anything short of an abysmal GM for this franchise and should not currently hold the job he holds.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

And there are some that would argue that you or I could have pulled the "trigger" on Sauce and Wilson. I really don't put much stock in that... His ultimate failure, for me, is the O-Line. I have to agree that it is worse now than when he got here, the #1 pick not withstanding. We shall see...

14. Ralebird

It is pretty hard for people who repeat the highlighted passage to support those claims - will you take a shot at it? We were told that when he was hired and a lot of polluted water has since passed under the bridge. Where are the names of noted NFL people or quotes from those who hold him in high regard today?

We have no obligation to buy into whatever has been said about a guy years ago particularly in light of what has been accomplished since.

#54 Ralebird, Jun 20, 2024 at 1:16 AM
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2024 at 1:22 AM
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

All the media reports about Douglas being "highly regarded" amount to:

[​IMG]

16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Did I miss any "How Stella got her groove back" jokes?

Sent from my genius mind.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The numbers tell the story. Hopefully the Jets can have a good year for a change. But if 2024 is another failure then both are gone, and everybody knows it.

stinkyB likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Remember that people in the NFL look at JD and the Jets' situation objectively. We are all passionate Jets fans, which colors our thinking, and makes us biased. We have 50 years of frustration with inept hires, lousy coaching and drafting that affects our patience level and how we perceive things. I've been very upset with JD and I think his trying to trade up for Odunze in this year's draft was moronic, not only because we had a glaring need at LT with Smith's injury history and at OT going forward, but because of the additional picks it would have cost the Jets to move up, but I can see where others in the NFL would view him differently. In spite of some picks not working out, he has handled the draft moving up and down pretty well. He has done well in trades, with the cap, in signing UDFAs, made some good moves in FA, and would have had more good moves on his ledger (and the OL would have been better) if a couple of the OL he tried to sign would have signed here, but they didn't want to play for the Jets. They see the colossal mess the Jets were in, not only with Woody as the owner, but a roster almost totally devoid of talent, with the mess Gase created, and the cap. Remember that he got far more for both Sam and Jamal Adams than anyone thought possible. He is also respected for the work he did under Howie Roseman in Philly and in Baltimore under Ozzie. Other teams wanted Zach Wilson, and part of the blame for his taking Zach can be placed on the Covid situation where they couldn't go and speak to Zach in person. In addition, it's a bit of a fraternity in the NFL, and they defend each other (rightfully so because they have more knowledge of what it takes than we do).

19. jets_fan

It's rare for a fired GM to get a second chance at that job. I very much doubt that Douglas will be the one to buck that trend.

He came in saying he was going to fix the O-line and QB situations. He's made both worse. They have both been objectively worse since he took over than they were before he got here. Those are the two most important position groups in the NFL. You can't be a successful GM and show a complete lack of ability to improve those two position groups. He's actually made them worse than they were when he got here. That's failure. And while I've always been on board with the idea of Aaron Rodgers actually quarterbacking this team, Douglas' handling of everything having to do with Rodgers has left a lot to be desired. He's just failed too much and produced absolutely nothing in the way of results, meaning that there is no way he should receive a contract extension. Being "well regarded" by his peers doesn't mean that he's done what is necessary in order to maintain his employment.

mezzavo and Ralebird like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

As of April 2024, under Joe and Bob's watch, the Jets achieved the longest playoff drought in all sports, and it is Joe's 6th season. He has had more excuses than anyone has any right to have, and last season it seemed like he was content with letting his handpicked head coach get thrown under the bus by the Athletic (while not a single harsh word was written about the FO) and to my knowledge he didn't speak a single word in Saleh's defense.

If he was ever highly regarded, that has likely eroded.

HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.