General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

In honesty,I missed that. I put movies on as background when I work sometimes, most suck and paying attention is not required or desired. Every now and then I'll realize that I'm actually into the movie, and will pause it and finish it with my full attention.

I would say the last random movie that did this before this movie was Prospect

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I gotta say, Disney really did it. When they first started talking about that MCU business, I assumed they would screw it up like every other attempt, but they really pulled off some entertaining stuff. They pulled me in and I didn't totally hate Endgame.

And now, over the course of several years, right up until they are poised to introduce some of my favorite Marvel characters into the mix, it has all gone screaming into the toilet at mach 2. There is no doubt that things like the Xmen and Fantastic Four (among others) will be just as shitty as it can get.

Disney really did it. The ultimate bait and switch. They'll blame the strikes.

#1042 abyzmul, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
    barfolomew likes this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Just watched the boys from Brazil with Gregory Peck. Pretty good if you like old movies

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw "Fall Guy" yesterday. Think of it as Hallmark Channel's first action movie and you'll get the entire gist. Pretty good look into the Stunt Actor's world too. Didn't know they went through so much shit for a scene. Lee Majors actually did a cameo and yes, they did find a pick up truck with KC Lights! Nice touch!!

barfolomew likes this.
  5. abyzmul

Upgrade was pretty good once I finished it. It felt like an 80 minute episode of Black Mirror.

JackBower and barfolomew like this.
  6. JackBower

Watched Atlas. It sucked.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

J-LOL

Cman68 and barfolomew like this.
  8. Cman68

OMG! I want my 2hrs back so I can use them more productively. Told wifey that the Hallmark Channel apparently is getting into both the action genre (Fall Guy) and SciFi (Atlas). JLo directed this and it was the JLo show from start to finish. Little ancillary character development. In fact, the AI had the biggest part of the movie besides JLo. Thank God its a stream and not in theaters.

#1048 Cman68, May 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
    JackBower likes this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Disney killed it years ago when Kevin Feige was given sole control of the MCU. Before that there was a committee that had plotted the course through to the Avengers storyline conclusion. Black Widow and the Eternals was the start of Kevin Feige’s sole creative vision.

abyzmul likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They also wildly oversaturated the market with content including live action shows, cartoons, sequels to movies that didn’t need sequels, etc.

I lost interest after the conclusion of End Game. It’s a shame that Warner Bros can’t get their head out of their ass because they had a real opportunity to seize on people who are done with Marvel.

JetBlue and abyzmul like this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Oversaturation and poor quality certainly have killed interest in it. But all that is downhill from the incompetent creative direction that comes from the top.

DC should focus on standalone films and series; the connected film universe concept is dead and James Gunn isn’t going to change audience interest.

12. barfolomew

Watched The Proposition on Amazon Prime. An excellent Australian Western.

I also saw Zone of Interest, a very good movie on the holocaust.

Also, Waiting for the Barbarians. Johnny Depp and Robert Pattinson in a movie about the frontier of an unnamed empire and the nature of colonialism. Very good, I'd say excellent.

JetBlue likes this.
  13. barfolomew

Downfall is on youtube.
    Excellent film on the last days of WWII in Hitler's bunker

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. JackBower

I watched a movie called Aka, think it's Polish or some shit.

It wasn't that bad. 90s style action where a guy seems to kill about 100 people with no remorse or punishment, but he has a soft spot for a kid who's not his.

I will also plug Security. I haven't watched it in a while but it's a total badass 90s style action movie.

15. abyzmul

I didn't hate the Glass Onion like I thought I would. Actually sort of liked it.

16. abyzmul

They really did an amazing job making Godzilla MInus One feel like an extension of the original movies.

17. Cman68

Saw Bad Boys today. If you like the originals, you'll like this one. I'm hoping this is the end of the franchise though. Not much else they can do with the premise as both Martin Lawrence and Will Smith both are starting to age out of the action genre.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Superb movie.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Alright, I finally gave the movie 'Rush' with Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason-Leigh a whirl. Can you say suck? I'll try this another way . . . IT SUCKED! I think Jason Patric thinks way too much of himself as an actor. I laughed through most of it.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The book is better, but Gregory Peck - in general - was a fantastic actor. Great voice, he came across as such a large personality on screen.

barfolomew likes this.