Jets-Colts game, November 16, 1986

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, May 15, 2024.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is a post for long-timers. Does anyone have any clear memories of the Jets' second game against the Colts in the 1986 season? I'm doing some research and I have seen a few people online comment that Ken O'Brien picked up an injury in that game and tried to play through it the rest of the season. It might go some way to explaining why the Jets lost their last five regular season games that year, culminating in O'Brien getting benched for the playoffs.

I have almost every game from that season on DVD or digital file, but the two Colts games are elusive, otherwise I might have an idea of the answer to this question myself...

Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated!

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He was dinged up, but the whole defensive line was hurt during that collapse....

3. ukjetsfan

Yeah, it seemed like every week we lost another star player, but I’m really interested to see if I can pin down a specific moment for O’Brien. That moment might not exist, of course.

4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was there for it. That's all I can tell you. With age some of the finer details are beginning to fade away ; )

5. ukjetsfan

That’s good enough for me!

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He didn't miss a snap in that game so whatever you're thinking of was not a factor. It wasn't until the playoffs that he missed a start and the reason then was given as a concussion. The protocols were different, or non-existent then but nothing I saw pinpointed when the alleged head injury took place. You may want to check the box scores to see if anyone else took snaps between the Colts game you're looking at and the playoff start he missed to see if you can focus in on any particular play in a different game.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I remember Al Mcguire predicting they would lose the rest of the regular season games after starting 10-1

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think that was Paul Maguire, former Bills linebacker and punter, and NBC analyst. He was crowing all year that the jets weren't any good. He called them the worst 10-1 team he had ever seen.

NCJetsfan and Hemi like this.
  9. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

MacGuire bold prediction was BS. It didn't take a Rhodes scholar to know the Jets would lose a lot of games to close out the season because their team had absolutely been gutted by injuries. It was the same then as it is now, you can't win if you don't have any of your good players on the field.

mrjet80 and stinkyB like this.
  10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Your right. Paul not al

tomdeb likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Paul Maguire was pretty good at hatin' on the Jets...

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The only injury I can recall O’Brien getting was during the first Bills game which the Jets came from behind in a 14-13 win. He was injured I think during the game winning drive at the end of the game but stayed in to throw the game winning TD pass to Shuler. It was a minor knee injury.

O’Brien was beaten to a pulp as the season wore on and it showed during the 5 game losing streak to end the regular season. Not only did the entire DL miss time with injuries but the OL was affected as well. In those 5 losses - mostly blowouts - O’Brien threw 2 TD passes against 12 INTs. He was running for his life which simply was not his style - not very mobile. After the season ending loss in Cincinnati in which the Jets - despite having a halftime lead - lost 52-21, Walton decided to make a change.

The Jets had backed into the playoffs and Walton benched O’Brien for the more mobile Pat Ryan. I don’t remember anything about a concussion. The move paid off as the Jets won the WC game vs the Chiefs. Ryan sparked the win by converting a 4th and 6 on a QB draw - a play which O’Brien never would have been able to convert. Walton decided to stick with Ryan for the divisional playoff in Cleveland. That move paid off as well - Ryan played well and the Jets were leading but then Ryan got hurt. O’Brien was forced back into action. He held his own until late in the game. With the Jets needing a first down to run out the clock and facing a 3rd and 6 Walton called the same QB draw that Ryan had executed the week before. No gain. The Jets punted and the rest was history …..

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Paul McGuire sucked! He was probably the most biased announcer I've ever heard. He hated the Jets and made no bones about it. The only announcer I've ever heard who came close to that was Chris Collingsworth.

mrjet80 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Calling a QB draw with O'Brien was stupid. Walton should have stuck to picking his nose.

mrjet80 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Al McGuire was an announcer for NCAA basketball.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And eating dog poop

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Say wut now?

18. Ralebird

"Hatin'" - or just "tellin' it like it is"?

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The Jets have been easy fodder for too long... :mad:

20. Ralebird

They are who we thought they were.