Jets reportedly tried to replace Hackett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, May 13, 2024.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This is true. But the Jets also didn't have a decent play-caller once Rodgers went down. If he gets injured, then Hackett will be calling plays.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Downing will be calling plays if Rodgers goes down.

dmw likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This sort of thing is why no matter how much offseason hype there is, I still doubt the Jets will amount to much.

mezzavo, Pepsiguy5, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We couldn't get through May without some dumb drama... :confused:

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I wish he would hang them up, so the Jets could continue to search for a young future FQB. Nevertheless, they didn't pay all this money to Rodgers for him to learn new tricks. They paid it because they like the tricks he showed over a 20 year career. The only new stuff he has to learn is where the bathrooms are at AHC. Besides, I suspect 95% of the plays are the same plays that other teams run, out patterns, slants, deep balls etc. The difference between winning and losing is not who has the better plays, it's who better executes the plays they have.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

These guys (players and staff) are pros and they know what's going on around the league. It's a copycat league and I have no doubt the Jets are looking at innovative plays that other teams run.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ukjetsfan likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk about all of that. Its hard to tell, really

yes execution is usually the main thing but when I hear Nathaniel Hackett say "he didn't realize Breece Hall was that good" or whatever he said until the last week of the season, and then I watch other teams use their pass catching running backs in truly innovative ways I have to wonder if those plays are even in his playbook.

the buffalo game they lined up James Cook as a WR, he went in motion alllllll the way across the field and then ran a short little flare route for a touchdown against us. Its so hard for a linebacker to defend that. Its a perfect route for Breece Hall. I never saw anything like that with him. He lined up as a single back all season

mezzavo, BrooklynJetsFan and Acad23 like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Were you doing LSD for the entire 2023 season?

stinkyB likes this.
  10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

A hire so bad, they need to find him a babysitter.

Dear woody, anyone on this forum found have told you he was trash.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. Paul is his dad, Rodgers is his buddy, that’s why Hackett has a job at all. We all understand this, but we also all want Rodgers to be happy and be a Jet, so here we are.

I don’t buy the report they were going to replace him though. Hire an additional coach to help out maybe, but no way Hackett was going anywhere.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This organization is so inept they couldn't even find someone that wanted to call plays for an Aaron Rodgers-led offense. Surely they could have found someone that would have jumped at the chance to turn their association with a future Hall of Fame QB into promising future job prospects they wouldn't have otherwise been able to obtain, like Peyton Manning did for Adam Gase or Rodgers has done for Hackett.

Some of the things this franchise does would be really amusing if they weren't so depressing.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mike LeFleur wouldnt answer the phone....

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now Saleh is the babysitter. I'm thinking that's what he and Woody "weren't arguing" about.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I think you're missing some key aspects of the situation. First, that person would have been calling someone else's plays, and if they succeeded Rodgers and Hackett would get the credit rather than that person. Second, Rodgers would change the plays half the time. Third, that person on a daily basis would have to deal with they dysfunction of the Jets' HC offensive coaching staff in Hackett, Carter, and probably anyone whose last names isn't Dews, Middleton, or Jefferson. Fourth, and most importantly, that coach would have taken the job knowing that the odds were that the whole staff would be getting fired next offseason if they didn't make the playoffs. There'd be no job security, and little credit if things went well, but a lot of blame if they didn't.

#35 NCJetsfan, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
    mezzavo and westiedog1 like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Didn't Rogers and McCarthy have a big falling out during some playoff game? McCarthy called plays not to lose, and they lost. Rogers was furious post game, McCarthy got canned.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Don’t believe that’s accurate. You may be confusing mccarrthy with lafluer or even Hackett.

McCarthy was fired midseason in 2018, so not after a playoff loss. In 2017 the year before Rodgers missed a lot of the season with a collarbone and then didn’t even make the playoffs

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think we may be too close to it to appropriately judge. All the evidence is that if Rodgers goes down for more than a week or two at worst the Jets are screwed.

But really that isn't a hugely different scenario than a lot of NFL teams are facing. So in a sense we're really not that bad off. Or at least not uniquely bad off. We just need our QB to stay healthy.... like most everybody else.

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  19. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

This 100%. No matter how much people want to square it differently it will always unavoidably come back to that. Hackett is literally the bottom of the barrel as far as setting an OC hire bar goes. If the Jets genuinely wanted to bring in a guy they'd of brought in a guy.

100% on this not being the NBA as well. 39yo Rodgers wasn't looking like 39yo Lebron last we saw him either. He'll need help he doesn't have to truly make this work. At least now it's not just some random Kronoking poster on a fan forum trying to really drive that damning aspect home for people.

I'm actually extra irked getting around to reading that this morning. Leave it to the Jets to prioritize getting ahead of the PR spin on an upcoming failure aspect, that even their own internal projections is apparently predicting to be on the horizon, over actually trying to address/fix said failure before it happens. I swear to god...only this team.

Mehl-56 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

While it's certainly true that there are only 32 of these gigs, I can't imagine anyone that has one shred of pride or who cares about job security and his future career taking the job in a dysfunctional situation like this that is more likely to go awry than come together and produce a SB victory.