The Jets' Performance Dept. Undergoes a Shakeup

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 9, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

After all the OL injuries over the last 3 seasons, I was wondering if this dept would undergo some changes. I thought it needed to have a hard look taken at the job they were doing and perhaps make some changes. Well, it seems that it has now undergone a total change.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40109094/jets-performance-department-undergoes-shake-sources-say

According to Rich Cimini:

The New York Jets' athletic care and performance department, created three years ago to combat a high injury rate, has undergone a shake-up in the aftermath of another injury-plagued season. Three experts hired to lead the department are no longer with the organization, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Gone is Brad DeWeese, who was named the director of high performance in March 2021. Also gone are his top lieutenants -- Robert Sausaman, the assistant director of high performance, and Matthew Sams, the director of sports science.

A Jets spokesman declined comment, saying the team doesn't discuss the status of employees. The three departures weren't performance-related, a source said.

The Jets still have a performance department that utilizes sports science and supplies information to the football operation, but the usage of that information will continue to evolve over time. They haven't replaced DeWeese or Sausaman, according to the team's website, but they hired Alexander Carnall as the sports science coordinator.

After an injury-plagued 2020 season, the Jets studied the issue and decided to make a bold move by hiring DeWeese and creating a performance department. The objective was to improve player safety by consolidating areas such as strength and conditioning, nutrition, rehab and mental performance.

The Jets' 2023 season was defined by injuries, none bigger than quarterback Aaron Rodgers' torn Achilles on the fourth snap of the season. By the end of the season, the offensive line was decimated by injuries, which resulted in 13 different starting combinations. All told, 15 different linemen saw action. The Jets finished 7-10, ranking 31st in total yards.

After the season, general manager Joe Douglas discussed the injury problem. He said "certain injuries are unpreventable," adding the Jets have done "a lot better job in terms of [preventing] soft-tissue injuries."

But speaking of the line, he said, "Obviously, we've invested a lot of resources in that position. I know I've sat here and had conversations with you in the past about how much availability is of importance to this group, and for the last two years we've been banged up."

Addressing the line, the Jets acquired three veteran starters this offseason -- Morgan Moses, John Simpson and Tyron Smith -- and used their first-round pick on left tackle Olu Fashanu.

The Jets haven't made any changes to their strength and conditioning group, which is headed by Mike Nicolini. He was hired at the same time as DeWeese & Co. in 2021, Robert Saleh's first season as head coach. The Jets are 18-33 under Saleh, ranking among the most injured teams over that span.

#1 NCJetsfan, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    Murrell2878 likes this.
  2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The amount of injuries have been ridiculously high the last few years, but I also wonder the impact our turf has on these injuries and unfortunately it doesn't look like that will be addressed any time soon.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, barfolomew and 2 others like this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't know if these ex-employees could have done any better but I like the accountability in any case. It keeps the organization focused on the issue and that itself should help.

4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The turf was completely stripped and replaced with an alternate surface prior to the 2023 season, yet the number of injuries was still extremely high starting with the very first game on the new surface.
    I have no idea why the injury rate is what it is, but I suspect it's a combination of multiple factors. At least they are making an attempt to address the situation one area at a time.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Accountability? Nathaniel Hackett still has his job.

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I never did any research on real numbers but it seemed like the Jets actually didn't suffer "that" many injuries last season. The (obvious) problem was that it was Aaron Rodgers, the guy you can least afford to lose, and then almost completely concentrated on the OL guys which made it really hard to cover for and deal with.

Outside of those guys who really lost time to injury last year? Garret Wilson got smashed a few times but he played through it. We lost our safety early on I guess.... I really don't remember too many.

Its just that the ones we did suffer had such an incredible multiplier effect.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We lost those 2 ex-Seattle DL's --the OL was a mess obviously. Garrett gets hurt because of shitty ball placement.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Didn’t we just do this a year ago when we hired some new Dr. Dingleberry to lead the medical staff?

Centiment and Since1969 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Did other teams suffer injuries on the turf in 2023? I remember that in 2022 and before, visiting teams lost players due to injuries and they complained about the turf. Also, have the Giants had the same kind of injury problems that the Jets have?

#9 NCJetsfan, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    barfolomew likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

That was 3 years ago when these 3 guys were hired.

11. NCJetsfan

I just re-read the article and realized that I had forgotten to comment on one key sentence which I now bolded. If the departures of the 3 members of that department aren't performance-related as the "source" claimed, then why are they gone? What did they do, screw the maid on their desks like George Costanza?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

people leave jobs all the time, often for more money.

Sports teams pay less money, often relying on the emotional aspects or perks associated with working with a pro sports team.

I have no doubt Woody Johnson likes that M.O.

these guys are doctors, probably leave the Jets and make double the money in private practice …who cares about the “perks” of the Jets

13. NCJetsfan

I just read that Leon Washington is no longer a STs assistant coach and neither is Michael Ghobrial. Ghobrial left to become the Giants' STs Coordinator, but Washington's contract wasn't renewed. I wonder if Leon was critical of the job the offensive staff did last season or of Hackett, and that's why his contract wasn't renewed.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Simpler explanation is that our returns and coverage wasn't all that last year--unless a coach has a track record, 1 year of mediocrity or less should get one the boot.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re basing this on pretty much nothing unless you can provide something that makes it make sense. I’m sure lead athletic doctors for NFL franchises roll around in piles of money while they’re with the teams.

You’re telling me the lead doctor for the Jets makes more money repairing rotator cuffs on guys like us than working for them?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think NFL teams probably pay a solid wage for certain diagnoses so they can keep players on the field longer. And I bet those medical professionals get paid pretty well to live up to their non-disclosure agreements when they leave.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

absol-fucking-lut-ly

thats why most of them repair our arms for money and work part time for sports teams

“We” dont pay their salary. They bill the insurance companies

18. NCJetsfan

Except that Leon is a former Jets player and he has been an assistant STs coach since 2021, not one year.

19. NCJetsfan

All 3 at one time, i.e. the whole department? That's a stretch imo.

Matthew Sams doesn't seem to have even a PhD., and both Brad Deweese and Robert Sausaman have a PhD, but none are medical Doctors, so there is no double the money in private practice. Regardless, I'll bet that they were paid plenty. Deweese has coached athletes to 21 medals in Olympics and World Championships, and an additional 100+ medals in Pan American and World Cup games. Sausaman was at the Univ. of Missouri before joining the Jets, and Matthew Sams had worked for E. Tennessee St., LaGrange College and the KC Royals before coming to the Jets.

IMO it's clear that they were fired due to all the injuries the OL has suffered during their 3 years here.

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

My statement allows for the fact that Leon could have been here longer than a year--"unless a coach has a track record, 1 year of mediocrity or less should get one the boot"

I don't think Leon has a track record of success so it should only take 1 year of mediocrity or less to get the boot. That's what his team did last year--mediocrity or less.