POLLL: So how did the Jets do in 2024 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2024.

?

How do you grade 2024 Draft?

1. A+ to A-

9.9%
  2. B+ toB-

72.5%
  3. C+ to C-

13.2%
  4. D+ to D-

4.4%
  1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I realize the cash/cap difference between 4th and 5th round picks; I was referring more to them trading a 2024 4th rounder for a 2025 pic--that IS a cash savings. Anyway, I am not married to the idea that they traded down so often just to save 2024 cap space--I just said that is what one jets reporter theorized yesterday.

Anyway, Douglas IMO really screwed up the last part of this draft. I have never understood the logic or lack thereof of drafting the same POSITION in back to back rounds, especially when Hall is the entrenched starter at RB (?).
    Shouldn't they have assumed that the RB they took in round 4 eliminated the need for another RB in round 5? And what about all those other idiots in the jets draft room? Didn't any of them speak up and tell Joe they just addressed that position in the previous round?
    Very similar to jets GM Mike MacIdiot--In 2017, he drafted safety in rounds 1 AND 2, and then WR in round 3 AND 4. He ended that drafted with CB picks back-to back in round 6. Zero, and I mean zero, picks on the OL AND DL that year despite having NINE picks. Dumb dip.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If the jets don't make the playoffs this year, I hope they fire both Douglas and Saleh.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh, I know what you were saying. I wasn't disagreeing with you, but with the reporter or whomever said that. It could be true, but I'd find it shocking, although, the 2025 cap is going to be incredibly tight, so there may be some truth to that.

I definitely agree with this post.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

B-. What could have been an A+ Draft because of some outstanding moves (The Vikings trade, the decision to Draft OL, the trade up to go WR, a STEAL of a QB in Round 5) was married by an inexcusable decision to flush two draft picks down the toilet on RBs.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Braelon Allen was one of my favorite picks, so I will disagree with you. Let's remember this when he becomes a vital piece for us. The second RB I know nothing about, so yeah, that may not have been the best pick. However, he was not picked to be our starting tailback, he was probably picked for special teams. If somehow, someway this draft later is judged as an "A+" it'll be because of Braelon Allen, not in spite of him.

westiedog1 and NOVAJET like this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

We have Breece Hall, who is supposed to be "Elite". How about using the same pick to bolster our LB's, or our lines?

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I didnt get the 2nd RB selection, especially after drafting Israel last year (unless they think he sucks, which would look bad for JD)

tomdeb, REVISion and HackettSuxTNG like this.
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

How many RB's on the roster? We did need depth there.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's fair, but not sure using a 5th rd pick for a 4th string RB is how I wouldve approached it...

Borat and tomdeb like this.
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

That 5th round choice is why I graded B - and not higher. But, what if he's also our kick returner and/or gunner on special teams? Value rises to 5th round pick level. So let's root for that.

11. LogeSection2RowJ

I'm flawed. I can't jump on board for this. I want continuity. I give JD an edge over Saleh, but not making the playoffs can't be the only reason to clean house. If they don't make it because they are poorly coached, bye bye Saleh. If they don't make it because Rodgers is hurt again, or retires, then I blame the owner. I'm getting too old for this shit. I want to keep a GM around and am OK with JD being just "good". If you guys think Woody can find and hire a better GM than Douglas, you're crazier than I am given the owner of this team's track record.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Douglas's career win-loss record is 27-56. If we have another bad year, it'll be hard even for Woody to find someone worse. Also if we fire Saleh and keep Douglas, get ready to welcome Brandon Staley as the new HC because he's the only one who would take the job.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Another call for the continuity of incompetence? Woody Johnson may be a blind squirrel but the coaching yard is full of acorns, tested and otherwise. A competent NFL team would have long ago removed Laurel and Hardy and scrubbed its website of any signs of their existence.

James Hasty likes this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He may have been the best available player, which is how I would have approached this draft after R3. As for the number of RBs, I recall back in the 2000-2010 SB years, the Giants had three RBs, Jacobs (265lbs), Ward, a former Jet (240lbs) and Bradshaw (200lbs) that gave opposing defenses fits. Maybe we can have that kind of weaponry here, with the understanding that Jets need to get the passing game going first and foremost.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know that he would be 4th string. Izzy didn't blow anyone's hair back last season. I didn't get two backs together in the draft at the time but I do remember checking out Isaiah Davis when Vilma recommended him a few weeks back and the dude can run, with a bit of a violent streak. I'm looking forward to seeing him almost as much as Allen.

I'm pretty much done crying over draft picks at this point. Jets gonna Jets.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is about where I am with this as well. I would give this draft a solid B, maybe even B+. It would have been great if we were able to land Nabers somehow, but that was a pipe dream. Odunze was close to being ours, and I know the Jets really wanted him, but to me it is very close between him and Olu, and Olu was the best available pick for us at #10 IMO. I think the GMs actually have done a very good job early in the draft, because aside from 4 QBs they took the best 5 players I had on my board in almost the same order :) : https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/with-the-10th-pick.99846/page-77#post-4396943 . Harrison Jr, Nabers, Alt, Odunze, Latham were all gone, so Olu was the next best pick. Plus they got some assets as well by trading one spot down, which was a very good thing.

Corley I feel was also a very good pick. Again addressing a major need. Given the sr Bowl performance, in spite of weak competition, I really like pick. And it's not just me, Corley was pretty much a consensus 2nd round player, whom we got in a 3d with a minor trade-up. I am excited to see him in training camp and hopefully claim starting job at the slot. Overall with the premium picks the Jets had I think they got good players at the position of need, and that is a major positive for the draft.

In the 4th round I do think things got a bit weird. The trade down with GB was not great. I am a little surprised they didn't pick any IOLs. Armed with three 4th round picks I was hoping there would be someone on IOL they would like, but they basically watered down the picks and took more shots at the dart board. I do like the 3d round pick-up in 2025 a lot. Allen was a good pick-up too at RB, and I like the idea of Jordan Travis as a red shirt QB. Worth a 5th rounder. 5th in Heisman voting, high character guy. Maybe our version of Hurts? Rattler was another guy I liked due to his arm talent, but doesn't look like Jets wanted him at all - no visits. 2nd RB was a bit puzzling, but defensive guys at the end is something they always do and had some success too, so that was cool.

Overall, I think they took best available talent at the top and addressed two major needs of WR and OL, plus enhanced RB room, picked up a 3d round pick next year, developmental QB, and some darts at DBs. Would have liked to get some IOL in the 4th and not get had again by GB. A good draft overall though.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We got some interesting players that should help our ball club.

The practical question to ask regarding the performance of our front office is whether we drafted any player that was expected to go any higher than the spot where we drafted them?

Every year players slide down the board presenting unexpected opportunities to steal these players and get a talent boost greater than our allotted picks would normally allow.

To me it seems that JD sticks to his plan and usually doesn't change his plans when these opportunities present themselves.

Breece Hall may be the biggest exception to this pattern.

Rather than moving up or taking advantage of players that may have dropped down the board this year JD traded down multiple times to get players in later rounds thar come with a lot more questions than the ones he could have gotten earlier if he had stayed put.

When we keep losing games an missing out on the playoffs I think these are the things we should be paying attention to. Just because we want to win for a change doesn't mean that we can't look at the draft a bit more cautiously.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There is a thought regarding drafting that there's basically no such thing as getting a "steal" in a draft. It happens so infrequently that it might as well be 0. The rationale is that it is exceedingly rare for any single GM to see something in a prospect that every other GM missed. If a guy falls in the draft, it means the vast majority of GMs determined he was worthy of falling. Individual NFL GMs are wrong all the time, but the collective wisdom of them is generally accurate.

Borat likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I could not disagree more.

Every year some teams get it right and others end up horribly wrong.

You seem to think that the teams thar draft well are just lucky while I believe that they are good.

mezzavo, stinkyB and KingRoach like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There is a mountain of evidence supporting this. The only way to "win" the draft over long periods of time is by having more picks.