Confidence level post draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jedi mind tricks, Apr 28, 2024.

?

How has the draft affected your outlook for next season?

1. More confident

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Less confident

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. No change

36 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I could still see some minor moves happening like bringing in another receiver but generally speaking this is the team!

How ya feeling?

boozer32 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm more confident because I know that we have a solid backup at LT for T. Smith, we have a slot WR in Corley that could make an immediate impact, and we have a 2nd string RB who can do some serious damage and make an immediate impact in short yardage, the Red Zone, and in saving some wear and tear on Breece.

Taking Fashanu, Corley, and Allen, and basically making it an offensive draft restored some confidence in JD, but then finding out that he attempted to trade up with several team to get Odunze and failed, made me lose most of the confidence I had regained. Trading up would have been really stupid. We'd have Odunze and probably nothing else to show for the draft except maybe Travis and Stiggers. We wouldn't have a competent backup for T. Smith or a likely starting LT for next season, no #2 RB, and that would have been a major clusterfuck. When coupled with the rest of the draft that he did have, I still want him gone following this season. I don't care if the Jets somehow miraculously win the SB. I think he and most of the CS should be fired.

JetsNation06, mezzavo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Tough crowd... :confused:

dmw, Jets69, All Gas No Shake and 5 others like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I get it, but that’s a bit harsh, no? I would not have been happy with a trade up either unless it was for Alt or one of MHJr or Nabors, and honestly not even then. But a lot of that talk is just that…talk, rumors, whatever. Hard to know what to believe. What we CAN believe is what actually happened, which is that we got a good OT, WR and RB. I like those first three picks a lot. I’m no expert on the actual players, but I love the positions and I think the guys should be pretty good. I like the strategy view of it. I would have loved to have seen us double dip on OL and WR instead of RB, that I don’t understand. And I also would have loved to not trade down so much and instead use those picks either double dipping as above or else shoot for S or DT. So less happy with Day 3 than the first 2 days, but overall not terrible. For me all in all I’d say a B grade.

My view of JD has definitely come down a bit in the last year but let’s see how this season develops and then we can talk about what to do with JD and Saleh. This will be the first year with a real QB…let’s see what the season brings.

dmw likes this.
  5. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Confident in the draft but watching rodgers and his body language on mcafee show….i’m starting to think he retires before the season starts. I have no concrete information… strictly conjecture.

6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

He’s not going out like that def not retiring

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Still in show me mode. Draft? FA? Hype? Seen this movie too many times.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I like that you went out on a limb and predicted this possibility--if it happens you get props for body language interpretation.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now that would be epic Jets. That would make last season seem like an afterthought.

mezzavo and Jets79 like this.
  10. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Not a sexy draft w/potential Fantasy points but solid picks. The Penn State Tackle gives them depth plus a long term future. The RB was good pick. There were plenty of quality runners in this draft. The QB pick is a gamble we'll see how it works out. If this offense can put points on the board it will make the defense much more effective. Looks like we're going to have a team that will be strong on offense and defense.

11. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

right? Jetsiest move in a long time. To be clear, i'm not rooting for it to happen.

12. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The Jets have new uniforms, everything else is just gravy.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it harsh at all. It's not just rumor that JD tried to move up. The Giants and another team (admitted) during the draft that the Jets had sought a trade up with them. This was announced during the draft. I guess there's a miniscule chance that JD made those calls only to put down a smokescreen prior to the draft, and had no serious interest in trading up, but if the calls were made during the draft, that's not a smokescreen. If nothing else, the optics are terrible. With Smith's injury history, no good/viable backup LTs available in FA even if the Jets had the cap space (which they don't/didn't), and no viable starting OT on the roster for next year, imo it would have been one of the worst moves in NFL draft history to take a WR or Bowers at #10, much less trade up for a WR when we didn't have a 2nd round pick, didn't have a #2 RB, had needs at IOL, S and DT. It would have been grounds for immediate firing on national TV in my opinion.

I like the first 3 picks a lot, but that only serves to underscore my ire and JD potentially throwing all of that away to trade up to take Odunze. It would have probably taken our 3rd round pick and at least one of our 4th round picks, maybe more. Even if there had been some good OTs in the 3rd round, we wouldn't have been able to get one, and may not have even been able to get a decent RB or address any of our other holes.

With needs at RB, IOL, S and DT, his second half of the draft makes zero sense. As you said, if he was going to double dip it should have been at the OL or WR positions, not RB. He passed up what seemed to be good IOL, S, WR, and DT. My confidence in him is shot. He's erratic or schizophrenic, and just not the GM this team needs imo.

dmw, Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Im always confident going into the season as most of them are parody. Never know who gets injured and were we get lucky breaks. Overall filling a lot better, just hope we sign few more OL depth (i dont know if we have via udfa yet as I haven't checked)

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’m in the no-change, wait and see category. I really like the depth added at RB. That’s a plus for the 2024 team and a smart strategy. I’m particularly interested to see what Braelon Allen can do. Three consistently good college seasons and a solid tradition of Wisconsin RBs behind him.

That said, never in a million years will I put any stock in the “draft grades” we see each year from all the NFL panty-sniffers.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I like the players we brought in during the offseason.

Getting rid of the dead weight will help us in the future but cost us JFM (I suppose you could argue that getting Reddick was the nail in the coffin for JFM but who can say?).

I think the draft was interesting and the future third rounder is nice but JD missed out on a lot of talent when he chose to focus on a gadget player at the top of round three and late round targets.

Getting the offensive tackle, a future third round pick, and clearing future cap space is a huge help to our next head coach if the team shits the bed and Saleh gets fired at the end of the season

Feel pretty good about the team's playoff chances in spite of a weak draft right now.

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to get my hopes up again... but the draft took steps to easing my main worry, which was the offensive line if/when one of our tackles goes down.

I saw that the NY Post has the Jets rated as the eighth best team in the NFL, with the Bills 14th, the Dolphins 22nd and the Pats 30th. As Homer Simpson might say: 'So you're saying...we're definitely going to win? Woo hoo!'

twown and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

As last year, will all depend on AR

If he plays, he should be good, and if he is, our offense should be at least midpack if not a bit higher…we do have home run threats in GW and Breece, and with competent QB play, AR should be able to utilize the full complement of weapons, including Conklin and Corley and Williams. I feel MUCH better on our OL now that we have a good backup plan if/when Smith goes down to injury so we should be able to protect AR much better than last year.

I’m hopeful…

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The FA and Draft were good - they absolutely had to be - and now we have a team, barring major injury to any starters (especially Rodgers) should contend for the playoffs. But there was a LOT of hole filling to do and they're still not all filled completely. The team is like a house of cards: all it takes is removing one and it comes crashing down.

There wasn't much more that JD could've done in one off season, but it'll take more than one or even two good off seasons to make this team capable of being a repeat contender. After 5 years Douglas should have more to show for it. And I won't give him props for drafting almost all offense because it's something he should've done in past drafts instead of trying to build the perfect defense.

And we still have Saleh and Hackett.

20. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

This would actually make my own confidence level go up. The expectation plan of a 41yo Rodgers being the savior expected to carry an offense, and the Hackett Handicap that comes attached to his hip, is probably the single biggest obstacle holding this franchise back from taking the next step imo. Sooner we get past that delusional line of thinking, and get back to viewing the QB as being a much more complimentary piece to what should be a run heavy offense gameplan going through the real franchise guy here in Breece Hall, the sooner the potential forward progress towards something a lot better can really begin.

The surrounding talk of this being a GFIN year is beyond stupid and delusional imo. It's like claiming you don't need to save your rent money this month because you really want to believe those lucky Power Ball #'s are going to hit this ticket. As such my entire optimistic outlook level on 2024 revolves around an evaluation lens of how good I believe this team and offense can be with Tyrod Taylor at QB. Again, not because i even think Tyrod is going to be the one starting most of the games, but because I really just don't expect there to be much of a current reality difference imo.

Currently I think the pieces are getting there and shaping up to look like we can make it a more fun then 2023 and playoff appearance chasing season if things break right. The defense can carry the team more then they could last year with a better and more consistent run game. With an early season Hackett firing obviously tacking on some more potential upside in the event that was to happen (and if that takes an Aaron Rodgers injury to happen, I'll gladly root for an AR injury).

#20 Kronoking, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024