How'd Joe Douglas pry a 5th AND a 4th to move down ONE spot?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Fans never seem to understand that trades are TWO WAY. You can't trade with somebody who doesn't want to trade.

2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Finally a sensible comment.

BrooklynJetsFan, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I thought that was an incredibly HORRIBLE pick. Firstly, because I don’t think Penix will be very good, and secondly, because they just paid huge dollars for Kirk Cousins for 4 years. The only way this makes sense is if Cousins can’t go or gets hurt. Otherwise, Kirk has been durable and Penix won’t see the field in any significant time before they need to make a choice on the fifthyear option. I guess the upside is if they really love Penix in practice they can try and trade Cousins next offseason. But overall I thought this was damn awful drafting strategy. But hey, that’s why they suck. They make bad choices. Starting with hiring a defensive HC who wasn’t great the first time. So yah…if I was a Falcons fan, I’d have been disgusted with the Raheem Morris hire and I’d have been furious with this pick. That team sucks for a reason (much like we do!).

I get the theory of drafting QBs to develop, but the only team I really saw do that well is Green Bay, who drafted a few guys that turned out well enough to return draft capital in guys like Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunel (the best one), and probably one or two others I’m forgetting…because Favre was there so long and was an iron man.

I guess NE did it pretty well also with guys like Garapolo, Jacoby Brissett, maybe one or two others.

But outside of that, can’t think of other teams that have done this well.

We can’t seem to develop QBs whether we draft them top ten like Sanchez and Darnold, or mid rounds like Hackenberg, Petty, Morgan, Clemens, etc. Those are 2nd and 4th rounders who never developed. We had later picks like Eric Ainge, Brooks Bollinger (I think those were 5th or 6th rounders). They were ALL just wasted picks. The chance of THIS team finding a late round gem like a Brady or a Purdy or even a Dak Prescott are just about ZERO. We’ve never done it yet. JD has drafted 2 QBs already and both sucked balls. No thanks

So no, especially in a year like now where we still have needs, I’d totally pass on a “developmental” QB. Most likely using one of those 4th rounders on a QB would be pretty much the same as just throwing the pick away. I say use those picks to continue to address needs. I would not mind another OL or WR honestly, or else I do think we could use a S, a DT, and maybe a LB.

I would not throw away a 4th rounder on a QB who will almost certainly suck.

#43 Jets79, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You make excellent points, however don’t forget that Cousins was taken in the 4th round of the same draft that Robert Griffin was taken in top 10 by the same team, Redskins.

Mahomes was drafted 10th over all in 2017 even though Chiefs had pro bowl QB Alex Smith, and chiefs made the playoffs. They actually traded up from their late round position.

Trey Lance was just replaced by a 6th round draft pick, Niners took a chance on Purdy as developmental QB.

With your approach those teams would have never selected those QBs, because they thought they were set at QB and needed skill positions.

The most important position in football is the QB and the Jets are not set, they have an aging QB that is not the future, and Taylor is just a journeyman.

No 4th round pick, whether it’s QB, RB, WR is a guarantee to be anything at the NFL level, the same way a top 10 pick is not guaranteed to become an elite player in the NFL.

The NFL draft is a crapshoot no matter where you are drafted.

My approach as GM would be to keep drafting a QB to develop until you hit the franchise QB.

Franchise QBs aren’t always drafted at top of draft board, the majority of HOF QBs have been drafted in mid to late rounds.

NCJetsfan, LAJet and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, for 2024 I see it higher that that, B to B+, and argue that we are on equal footing or better than the rest of our division, with a slight edge to Buffalo but not much. Not a big Tua fan. Nor do I see an out of balance influence the QB has on the roster. We needed to beef up the OL badly, as well as the WR corps regardless of QB. Beyond 2024 is a crap shot and hope we pick a development QB for starters but the roster is shaping up nicely regardless of QB. Our biggest challenge rests with the quality of our CS, not with the QB for 2024.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I heard Penix is 24, if they wait years to start him he will be almost 30. Yikes.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately much more than the AFC East stands between the Jets and success. Only time will tell if Rodgers is even a shadow of his earlier self even before we see if he is physically capable of playing a majority of the season and any time a singular player has undue influence on who is on the team, much less the field or coaching staff, the team will suffer. I guess we at least agree that the coaching needs improvement - how that happens is another question.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It would great to revisit at season end.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree in theory with you, Red, but the problem is that the Jets have proven that they don't have a clue how to develop a QB. Until they have a CS and GM who know how to do that, I think it's just a wasted pick to draft a QB. Just sitting behind a veteran QB, even Rodgers, who helps the young QB, isn't enough. There has to be a plan and a CS capable of executing the plan, and the Jets don't have that.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know everyone keeps saying the Jets don’t have a plan to develop a QB, however what QB that the jets have drafted and moved on to another team has flourished under another system or CS?

Wilson is going to be interesting because he’s going to Denver who has a HOF HC and a great offensive scheme.

I believe Jets have simply drafted poorly when it comes to QBs. It’s not just a team that doesn’t develop its QBs properly.

Geno Smith is currently having success with Seattle, however it’s been 9 years since he was drafted. Is that the Jets fault that he finally is getting it 9 years later?

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's really a chicken and egg type scenario that is created completely out of multiple layers of incompetence. How can the Jets develop a QB when their scouting is terrible and we can never tell if the prospect is salvageable? How can we develop a QB when the Jets instantly put that QB in the worst of situations every single time? So many fail factors that you can interpret the reasons for failure a number of ways

12. NCJetsfan

I'm not worried about Geno Smith. That was a previous regime. It's THIS regime that I'm talking about with a former DC as HC who doesn't know jack about offense or working with a QB. It's been nothing but incompetent OCs and a novice QB coach since JD was hired. JD has admitted all the ways that he screwed up with handling Zach, but that doesn't mean that he has actually learned anything or that we now have the right staff to develop a young QB. I will continue to believe that the Jets will be unable to develop a QB until at a minimum Saleh and this offensive CS are all gone, and JD probably needs to be gone as well, as he would hire the next HC and he would be drafting the next QB.

13. NCJetsfan

Spot on!!!!